Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust

Old 09-20-1999, 12:43 PM
tugboat
Freshman User
exhaust

I am replacing the whole exhaust on my truck from headers back i need to know what is the best set of headers what size pipe to use should i remain with the cats or take them off i am not worried about the legal aspect i will deal with that i want to know from a performance point of view and what muffler i should use i have herd good things about the flowmaster 50 any sugestions would be great

thanks in advance

Old 09-20-1999, 01:29 PM
H8monday
Senior User
exhaust

Tugboat,
I suppose there may be some who disagree,but if you arent concerned about cost Doug Thorley Headers are Hands Down the best you can buy.They have enough back pressure designed into them with the tri Y design that you can run them open if you really need.The best set up though is to run a high flow catalytic converter(s)and eliminate the muffler,that way you get the reduced back pressure and increased HP,great tone,and you still can utilize your O2 sensor and not confuse your microprocessor.You also wont be breaking federal laws or fouling up the air as baddly.The cat will handle the muffeling chores just fine by itself,(its about the same tone as a high qaulity straight flow muffler).I run this set up on my Supercharged 460,it works great sounds great and eliminates the purchase of another component,(muffler(s)).I dont know how well it will work with cheaper headers though,most are not tuned that well,and need the added benefit of back pressure,just like your stock exhaust.
Jeff

Old 09-20-1999, 01:57 PM
slik
Senior User
exhaust

I totally agree with H8Monday. Doug Thorley's are the best and they fit like a glove. I can even remove my starter without loosening the headers. I ran true duals all the way back on mine, but with dual tanks, I had to cross over to the passenger side of the truck to run both pipes. I ran from the headers to two 12" long DynoMax converters and then used a single dual in, dual out Flowmaster before crossing back over the rear axle and exit through 3"X18" stainless steel tips. The Thorleys collect to a 2 1/4" pipe and they send a collector/reducer that drops it down to 2". I had the exhaust shop make a new collector and kept the 2 1/4" pipe all the way back to the 3" tips. It sounds awesome. I don't have a comparison on HP though since I put my new pipes on a 351W which replaced my 300 I6.

Slik

>I am replacing the whole exhaust on
>my truck from headers back i
>need to know what is the
>best set of headers what size
>pipe to use should i remain
>with the cats or take them
>off i am not worried about
>the legal aspect i will deal
>with that i want to know
>from a performance point of view
>and what muffler i should use