Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WD-40 as starting fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WD-40 as starting fluid?

I hear a lot of people using ether to start there engines when they are having problems. I wonder if using wd-40 is a better idea. I had a smart volvo mechanic told me that wd-40 wont damage you engine like ether. I don't know if this would be recommended on diesel??? I know it's flamable because when we were kids we use to fry ants with it.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it is better to use WD40 and never use ether.

Edit: I don't even use ether to start gas engines when working on a motor cycle if it needs help to start I use WD40 it is alot safer for the motor.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fxstbchopper
Yes it is better to use WD40 and never use ether.

Edit: I don't even use ether to start gas engines when working on a motor cycle if it needs help to start I use WD40 it is alot safer for the motor.
I didn't know you could use wd on gas engines to get them to start, I have a neighbor than comes over to get me to start this lawnmower or edger and I've used carb cleaner or parts/brake cleaner. I'll try WD next time.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
61 uni
Posting Guru
The old formula wd-40 would work, but I heard somewhere that they changed the formula.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
fumes from brake cleaner are very poisonus.

but it does burn really good

Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
I use it on motorcycles to start them after having the gas tank off or after doing motor and carb work to help get them started easier. I have used it to keep an old ironhead running while listening for a leaking head.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
beer boy
Senior User
the part that is flammable or explosive in wd40 is the propellant, not so much the lubricating oil, wd40 contains a ton of water. the combined increase in sealing and the propellant is what seems to make the engine start better than ether. the propellant is like propane or ethane or some kind of ane. its the same as the ether but less explosive.
ether is a dry fluid that has no advantage to the combustion process other than the power of its combustion. in fact the use of ether and other starting fluids is most of the reason why compression rings break and engine fail. simply put they are not a fuel for an engine. I'm not aware of any manufacture that makes an engine to run on wd40 or ether.brake cleaner and just about any flammable spray will ignite in a spark engine and most will ignite in a compression engine.
the problem comes with the other products in the spray.
ether like methyl hydrate is from the past and now its not a good product to use in modern engines, unless they are designed for it.
ether is meant to be used in very small amounts, not soaked into the intake. wd40 works but so will a can of spray paint.

i have two pump up spray bottles in my garage, one with gas and one with diesel. very rarely do i have to use them. a rebuilt engine should start on its own fuel, not need assistance.

don't get wrong where i work we have alot of Cummings, Detroit's, cats, Mercedes, Volvo's and a few others. today it was about -15c without the windchill, we used ether, and alot of it. had the engine been plugged in and all the start aides been working (glow plugs, intake heaters etc) then we would not have had to use as much.

wd40 has its place and its purpose. it may work as a starting fluid but its not a starting fluid. there are better products that will do a better job.

about the formulas, anything containing silicone or Teflon etc just isn't made to burn. just have a look at the smoke when using these.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Is there anything in a can that you would recommend for starting a hard to start diesel?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
rblaine9000
Senior User
Originally Posted by orng1
Is there anything in a can that you would recommend for starting a hard to start diesel?
i would'nt use anything, i would find and fix the problem

Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
beer boy
Senior User
on a 7.3, no. ether if you had to. wd40 or the like if it works and you need to. like only if the gpr is totally inop and you have to get her going. most engines cant handle the higher combustion pressures. you dont see it right away. but its very hard on an engine. i know that there is some ones grandpa thats been using ether since the war ended and his engine is fine, but ive rebuilt a pile of heavy duty enigines prematurely because of ether.
the lightest spray on the out side of the air filter. if the engine locks or bangs real bad your doing dammage.
like i said though in a pinch even hair spary will work. but id rather fix the problem with the factory start aides. or plug her in.
we have two batts for a reason, hard starts, prolonged cranking. international designed these engines that way. i know john deere still puts ether starting aides on their excavators and other equip. but its electronically controlled.
our 7.3ls dont have these new particulate filters, use those other products on them and youll start spending money real quick.
there are start sprays that are ether free, maybe there better. but we have got to be carefull with a glow plug system.
one of the problems with a start spray is its totally uncontrolled, so if theres no oil pressure or the trannies super cold, etc then you can really have a huge problem.
if you got to get her going though use what ever you have. i wont lie i have a can of ether behind the rear seat in my truck. i just dont want to have to use it. i have used a propane torch (not lit) to start diesels before. but most of the tie if the fuel line is froze up i use a pump up spray bottle to run them if i have to get them out of the way.
cheers

Old 01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new Glow plugs new GPR or new batteries. Alterative plug it up.
Originally Posted by orng1

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I fixed my issue but I had to move the truck for the street sweeper one day and it finally feed me up that it was so hard to start. I hit the filter with some ether and a few seconds later it was running.

I was just saying for instance in a bad spot what would or should some one use. That way I can carry it for an emergency. As a last try before having to have it towed off a job site or something.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
beer boy
Senior User
exactly
if you have to, only if you have to. if you need to use it every cold day then you need to repair your truck ...lol

Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by beer boy
exactly
if you have to, only if you have to. if you need to use it every cold day then you need to repair your truck ...lol
I used it because I thought I had a bad HPOP and didn't have the m,oney to repair it yet, I finally saved up a few bucks to take it to be rebuilt but it turned out that I had bad injectors. Got those repaired and still had a hard time starting, looked further into it and turned out that I needed the GPR too. It got expensive quick to repair the truck but it's all done now and I wanted to but in and see what would be the best thing to keep in the truck for that just in case day if it ever comes again.

Ether ok or best to use WD in a bad spot?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about propane?

Quick Reply: WD-40 as starting fluid?