2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which HID kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
4wheelinfanatic2006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which HID kit?

So i'm looking at a set of headlights to put in my 04, and I've heard that one set on this site is better than another. XenonLink.com HID Conversion Kit.

Now one is the more expensive, so I figured it was that one but I'm not for sure, there's the Bi-xenon kit and then the hi/lo kit. I've been told that one of the kits is halogen when you turn the high beams on, and I want the high beams to be xenon too. Which kit should I buy?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
I bought and installed the hi/lo kit. And you are correct, the high beam is not a blue light. I really can't tell you what color the high beams were, because one aimed pretty much straight down in front of the car/ truck (Expedition EL), the other aimed some where else, I have no idea where. At the moment the kit is gathering dust on a shelf. The company offered to check the bulbs but installing them and removing them required removing the plastic head light lense subjecting them to damage.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 PM
bcrab
Senior User
I just installed the Bixenon kit on mine. Its a hi/lo kit, both hi and lo are xenon.

Look for seller HID4U on ebay. He has the Bixenon kits for $119 shipped. They come with a harness and its plug n play.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
a hi/low kit as stated is only HID on the low beam, and a halogen beam is used to the hi beam.
a bi-xenon kit uses just one xenon tube (per lamp), and an internal mounted solenoid shifts the position of the tube, to change from a hi beam to a low beam. the intensity never changes, just where it points.
i am currently runnin a Xentec bi-xenon kit with 6000K lamps..... they are great !!!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
willie923
New User
Hi ,I came across this site xtralights.com and they have a low/hi HID kit that uses two hid elements in one bulb.You might want to check it out.Thought I'll stick my 2 cents in

Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
JoSHN
Senior User
Now with these HID's, are they to replace the H13 bulb inside while keeping the stock headlight unit, or are you putting these in an aftermarket projector headlight?
I have read in a few places that an HID kit being used in the stock headlight assembly doesn't project the light properly. It just kinda disperses the light everywhere.
So to the people running the HID kit, do you really think it lights the road up better, or does it just look cool?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
i am using mine in a stock housing, and even if it isnt being projected "properly", ill tell you though it is still much better than stock !!!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
HID Lights

I bought the HID kit about 4 months ago. They are sitting on a shelf. Go back in the thread and you'll see what my problem was. They fit in the stock headlamp assembly, but there is other "work"involved. I'm now running PIAA H13's.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
JoSHN
Senior User
That would be why I would want to use an aftermarket projector headlight unit. If it can direct the light, it would be awesome.
What about the daytime running light system? Has that affected your lights at all, or do they still function properly?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
willie923
New User
JoSHN, I looked at adding Daylight running lights to my 04 250 ,What keeps the lights dim all the time on is a resistor.You cann't have daylight running lights with a resisitor to operate a HID ballest you need the full 12v.The only way to have Daylight running lights is to wire the headlights on all the time.And about the HID's all the HID's are converision kits to replace the factory bulbs,they do have one's for H13's.Me personaly,I really would'nt put the HID's in the factory headlight just because it was ment to only have filament style bulb's in them.Thats just being me.Plus being an electrican I'm always seeing many different kinds of lighting fixtures that just take certain type bulbs which if changed to a different bulb you would change the light output or light spread.Around where I live the cops are sometimes looking to pull someone over and that just gives them another reason.At least if you go with the silverstars (which is the same style bulb for the headlight) and the upgraded wiring harness you'll be nice bright and all legal.Since I had my 250 I was going to go HID but I did lots of reading and decided that ,that HID bulb wasn't made for the factory light.So this week I'm going to look into buying the upgrade harness.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
powerz69
Senior User
What will the upgrade harness do?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that HID's in a truck is bad news. Even if you have them angled correctly because the truck is so high up. I also think that putting the HID's in a headlamp assembly that was not meant for HID's is also bad news because it will throw light everywhere where it isn't supposed to go. Now since I already know you will get the lights anyway and ignore that it will suck for anyone driving towards you then you can look on ebay from this seller, HIDS4U. I have seen a lot of people buy from on here and have been really happy with the products he sells.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
focusdriverlx20
Junior User
DO NOT put HIDs in stock housing without proper projectors!!!! this is illegal, and can blind someone. i may be a newb on here, but i have researched. and know about HIDS. if you look at a beemer, it has a SHARP cutoff point. this is cause by the cutoff. in a bi-xenon projector, this cutoff move out of the way, and lets all the light out for Brights.

here is a comparison picture

all that light that isnt cutoff, is bright as hell to oncoming drivers.

and also, the "temperature" of the light has a lot to do with it, youll notice the 8000k is really blue, which just looks cool, and doesnt put out much usable light.

whereas the 4300K is pretty "white, and it is very even with no "hotspots."
please, if your gonna do it, do it right for everyone else on the road.

bryan

Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
im running 6000K bi-xenon hid's in stock housings, and i have yet to be flashed by a single driver. they have a pretty defined output beam, which isnt thrown everywhere as stated above. i did re-adjust the housings verticle adjustment slightly to get them nice and even.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 AM
willie923
New User
The upgrade harness has a heavier gauge wire vers a thin gauge factory wire.Heavier gauge wire means less voltage loss which leads to brighter bulbs.Though the more voltage will cut the life of your bulb but at least the bulb is meant to be used in that light housing.

Quick Reply: Which HID kit?