diesel smell???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
gordeaux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel smell???

Hey guys,
I've been smelling diesel when I walk past the drivers side fender of my '02 F-250. It a faint smell, but its there. I also barely smell it when I just start up the truck. I've looked around the fuel filter and noticed a small amount of fuel in the valley below the filter. I thought it may be the gasket on the filter gone bad, its been replaced but I think it still smells. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Could be the o-rings for the fuel bowl drain valve it is a common problem.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:14 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Go to this LINK and look for Download PDF file Here highlighted in yellow.

You can also order the o-rings from Guzzle on this link.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Johan01
Senior User
It's probably your o-rings going. That just happened to me last week when I was at my sisters house, except mine was gushing out. I would smell fuel for about a day or two and just thought it was the bottle of fuel additive I had in the cab. It cost me 1.72 for the two 0-rings and 2.30 somthing for the torx bit.

Anyway very simple fix on my early 99. The way that I did it, and worked well, was to get a #20 Torx on a 1/4" socket drive. Lay a Rag in the valley in case you drop a screw and disconnect the negative terminals on the batteries. Move the valve to the open position and drain the bowl. Pull off the drain tube for the fuel bowl, a flat head works great. Take out the 4 torx screws that holds the yellow drain valve on the back of the bowl in place. Pop out the old o-rings and put in the new ones, don't forget to lube them. I also cleaned the valve up a little, there was some debris in there. The o-rings are 1/4" ID with 1/8" cross section. I also hit the outside of the bowl real quick with a wire brush to clean it up.

They have everything at NAPA, I tried getting the part # but the lady couldn't find the book and I didn't call back. All in all it took me less than 1/2 hour. I have large hands and didn't have to remove anything else. Well...I don't have the plastic "7.3L" cover on anymore. I took it off a while ago, you may need to remove that if you still have it on there.

I hope that helps!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Go to this LINK and look for Download PDF file Here highlighted in yellow.

You can also order the o-rings from Guzzle on this link.
Robin,

Thanks so much for this tip. Mine was leaking also and I've ordered them from Guzzle.