comp cams 260H

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
ford truck oldboy460
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
comp cams 260H

I have the 74 f-100 360 motor apart right now to do the timing gears and the edelbrock performer as well as dropping a 625 holley street avenger on top. It occured to me (while I was enjoying a late night refreshmnet and looking at what I had done) that I had an awful lot of motor apart. It would not take a lot of work at this stage to drop in a set of lifters and new cam. I have a Comp Cam 260H which is going in my BB460, I have ran that one before and I like the way it works. I was looking at possibly the same type of lift and duration on the 360. I can get the identical cam for the BB FE series, a Comp Cam 260H.

The truck has Flowtech long tubes and 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with baffled bottles on it. It has D2TEAA heads on it. I measured the sstroke and it is 3.5 inches. I have not had the heads off so I dont know much about the insides.
Edelbrock performer and Holley above going on as well. the timing gears (pre-72) are going in.

Ok finally to my questions.

1- What kind of results do you think I would get from installing this cam.
2- Would it be worth the money?
3- Could I just use the existing cam bearings or is it a must to replace em?
4- Would there be any clearance issues? From what I have read there would not.
5- If the compression ratio is in the lower range will the cam do much good or do I have to do things like changing pistons, Cranks etc to get higher compression ratios to make use of the Cam.
6- The dizzy does have some endplay in it...up and down freeplay. Will I need to replace that as well.

Thanks in advance to all who put in their two cents worth.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just killed it with the Performer intake! Stock intakes do better then the Performer. As for a cam..... I would get a hold of Oregon Cam Grinders. Talk to Ken about what you have and what you want it to do. He will hook you up. JMHO

Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 AM
ford truck oldboy460
Senior User
Killeed it

I wonder why you feel this way about the performer? I have no experience with it on a fe engine so I could use some education here. I had a two barrel cast intake stock that wieghed a huge amount. Is not the edelbrock going to chnage the performance. It is still new in the box so I could go to the rpm performer without too much prob if it is superior. It aint a race truck just want better performance than stock with good mileage. Thanks, Doug

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree on the intake. Bigger is not better with a mild hop up. Anything bigger than a 600 CFM carb with vacuum secondaries will be too much carb.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
ford truck oldboy460
Senior User
Bear 45/70. I am not sure what you mean by agreeing on the intake. Are you saying you agree with using the Edelbrock performer, or are you agreeing that I will kill it by using it? It had a 2 bbl on it before and it pretty much sucked for performance of any kind. I installed a new 625 Holley street avenger on the kids car a few months ago and that is the one we would like to use on the truck. All bought and paid for kinda thing. We have to retire his car due to the frame being rusted out and I thought it would be a good fit for the truck. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
I agree on the intake. Bigger is not better with a mild hop up. Anything bigger than a 600 CFM carb with vacuum secondaries will be too much carb.

Just run a cast iron peace. A performer is a waste of time and there are better intakes to use then a Performer. Those intake runners are really small and dont line up well and so on. Ask Berry R....... He will tell ya the same thing. Look up some of the past post.JMHO

Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ford truck oldboy460
Bear 45/70. I am not sure what you mean by agreeing on the intake. Are you saying you agree with using the Edelbrock performer, or are you agreeing that I will kill it by using it? It had a 2 bbl on it before and it pretty much sucked for performance of any kind. I installed a new 625 Holley street avenger on the kids car a few months ago and that is the one we would like to use on the truck. All bought and paid for kinda thing. We have to retire his car due to the frame being rusted out and I thought it would be a good fit for the truck. Thanks for your input.
So find an iron stock 4 barrel intake as it is a better choice than the performer, way cheaper too. What size engine did you put the 625 on? CID is important in carb choice. FYI a 600 will take your 360 to almost 5800 rpm, the 625 is good to 6000. However the 600 will probably have better low end performance and fuel economy. I'm running a reworked 600 on my 460 and ran one on my old '68 390GT engine in my F250. Look here for carb info:

Holley Performance Products Frequently Asked Questions

Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
It has been said in the past, by many here on FTE, that the Edelbrock Performer is the same thing as the stock cast-iron 4bbl. Not worse, but the same thing.

The main advantage is weight.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
ford truck oldboy460
Senior User
Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It looks like I am stuck with this intake as the supplier does not want to take it back as he said it was a special order thing. As long as it is as good as a stock intake I will just do what I can for porting etc and put er on. The 625 might be a little big but I have it and it wont cost me anything to install it. I may be able to rejet it or something to make it work better too.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by krewat
It has been said in the past, by many here on FTE, that the Edelbrock Performer is the same thing as the stock cast-iron 4bbl. Not worse, but the same thing.

The main advantage is weight.
Not ture! Go to FordFE.com and look up intake Comparo. And like I said, ask Barry R. He knows FE's and he doesn't disagree! Berry even has posted that he wont run one even if someone gave it to him for free..... Take it for what its worth but that's the truth. JMHO

Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Here is the link to what Barry R said. Bottom of the page!!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-intake-2.html

Quote "I would not put a Performer on my lawn mower unless I got it for free. And I might think twice about the free one...

The RPM is a dramatically better part in every concievable way - port shape, port match, fit, pushrod holes, plenum - hell I think it comes with a better sticker in the box. The RPM will make more power from idle to "window". The ports are small - medium riser sized - but are dramatically better formed."

Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Ford428CJ
Here is the link to what Barry R said. Bottom of the page!!!
He was not comparing the base Performer to the stock 4bbl.

He was comparing it to the Performer RPM, which is obviously much better overall for HIGHER RPM performance.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
He was not comparing the base Performer to the stock 4bbl.

He was comparing it to the Performer RPM, which is obviously much better overall for HIGHER RPM performance.

Check out Fordfe.com and the intake comparo!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Wes, try as I might I can not find a head-to-head comparison of the stock 4bbl (and all the different iterations of that) and the base Edel Performer.

Also, what I can find is done on a 428. Not a 360, or a 390.

As wonderful as the "intake comparo" is, it's not an end-all/be-all for every motor.

I know a lot of work went into it.

But I'd love to see what the difference is on a MILD 390, or better yet, the 360 that the original poster has.

Telling this guy his Performer is a piece of crap is NOT doing this guy any justice. Far from it.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
Wes, try as I might I can not find a head-to-head comparison of the stock 4bbl (and all the different iterations of that) and the base Edel Performer.

Also, what I can find is done on a 428. Not a 360, or a 390.

As wonderful as the "intake comparo" is, it's not an end-all/be-all for every motor.

I know a lot of work went into it.

But I'd love to see what the difference is on a MILD 390, or better yet, the 360 that the original poster has.

Telling this guy his Performer is a piece of crap is NOT doing this guy any justice. Far from it.
Your right. Bottom line is there are factory Ford intakes that are better then the Performer. I guess if you have it, run it "BUT" that intake is last on the list!!! You are better with a stock intake. Even on a mild 360. I had one once upon a time. JMHO

Quick Reply: comp cams 260H