6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Put me Out of My Misery!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:42 PM
rrushhour
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put me Out of My Misery!!!

Please someone do it!!! My head is bout to explode! A quick background: I'm a lifelong GM fan (BACKOFF!! ) with an old 1500 and time to finally upgrade. Test drove an 05-07 F250 CC 6.0 and want to defect (badly). Problem is, the more I research this engine, the more I want to run. Everyone I know says to leave that engine alone. But I WANT the DA@% TRUCK!!! Looking at a Black 06 w/tan leathers for $17k w/80k miles. Don't need the power of the diesel at the moment and considered the 5.4 which is much cheaper but seems like a waste of a f250 with that engine. Concidered the 2500hd Chevy, but after the F250 experience, I get depressed
I know ya'll seen this delima a thousand times but I gotta ask again? Are the 06-07 6.0's any better than the first versions or do they come with the same problems? If I got the Ford ESP would it take the warranty to 2013 or 200k on an 06? Ohhh....what to do....what to do???

Old 12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got an 03 that has been a great truck for me, I just started having some trans problems with it this week though. Supposedly they fixed some of the problems but you can still have head gasket issues and egr cooler issues with the new ones just as easy as the older ones. I have 220k Km's on mine now with no headgasket or egr cooler issues though.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
'05 here with no issues. A lot of the problems with the head gaskets comes from strong tuners and other mods that stretch the head bolts and cause gasket failure. 33k on mine now and while that's not a whole lot, I haven't had to get anything done to it other than the recall flashes with no ill effects. Now, having said that, there's still a chance that I may encounter some of the problems others have down the line. I maintain mine meticulously and have it serviced every 3k. Aside from replacing both batteries last month and seat heaters (under warranty), I've had nothing but enjoyment from mine. Get an OASIS report on the truck you're looking at. Check it over stem to stern for leaks. Look at the OASIS for recurring electrical problems and / or head gasket issues. Also, if you find head gasket issues, I don't think I'd worry too much about that. It's a weak link that had already been repaired. Also, search this forum and you'll find a wealth of knowledge.

Also, keep in mind that you're going to hear horror stories from those that have had trouble with them. What you don't hear as often are the success stories as these owners aren't looking for solutions to problems they don't have. If the truck you're looking at has a good OASIS report, I say go for it. Also, when you get the OASIS report, you might want to share what you find in this forum to get some advice and recommendations on whether or not to buy it. Just don't post it verbatim as the actual OASIS is copyrighted by Ford. Good Luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 PM
dc3655
Elder User
Wow, that's a good price. With all that money you save on the truck, you can buy an ESP extended warranty and then you really don't have to worry about the motor anymore.

I just have to remind you of one thing: people come on this site for help when they have questions or problems with their truck, as well for some added insight. What you don't see on this sight are the hundreds of thousands of pleased Powerstroke owners out there who don't have a problem.

I've had my 05 PSD for 3.5 years and I've had very minimal issues with the truck and I really enjoy driving it. I did have a minor oil leak, but that was fixed under warranty and I haven't had an issue since. Even if I didn't have the little oil leak fixed, the truck would still be running great so it was really no big deal. There was a thread a while back about who was "Happy with their 6L's" and the list was getting very long.

And to answer your question about whether later trucks have less problems, it seems like they do have less problems. International did try and fix the problems that were uncovered in the 03 and 04 Model years. That doesn't mean that you won't have any problems, but NO truck will guarantee that! I went shooting with a guy this morning who said that his Duramax has been in the shop at least 6 times for engine-related problems. So nothing is Bullet-proof! But getting back to the ESP warranty....that's why you buy it! Only you will know which truck you prefer. After that, I have to say that all the diesel motors have their pros and cons, but I wouldn't be that afraid of the 6L.....especially not at that price!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dc3655
There was a thread a while back about who was "Happy with their 6L's" and the list was getting very long.
You're right and here is just one of those many threads:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...his-truck.html

Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
My truck has been great but just recently started having some minor issues just found an oil leak coming from somewhere on top of the engine or the back of the block, as well as a possiable bed plate leak, as well as exhaust mainfold leaks is going in Monday to be fixed so I hope after this that the truck stays running ok so far its been good But I do miss the 7.3 I had as well

Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Bulldog66
Senior User
05' (9-04' build) @ 75k on the clock. Turbo @ 12k, rear oil seal @ 20k - not one problem since.

One thing I don't see allot of here is the mention that this motor wants and "needs" to work. If this truck will be a grocery getter, you'll probably want to consider the 5.4 or even a V10. This truck needs to be at optimum temps to burn "coking" and clean the fuel system. Lengthy idle times and mall crawling are its worse enemy.

My truck pulls a 26' Toy Hauler, 18' equipment railer (usually with a tractor on it) probably 60% or more of its operating time. I'm **** about servicing it and I use cetane booster at every tank.

It's a good truck for me and I'm planning on taking it to the end. However, like others have said, there's problems in any brand. Heck, in the last ~3 months, I've personally replaced 5 IP's on 5.9's - so nothing is bullet proof.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:15 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 130 Likes on 67 Posts
Buy the truck, buy the the extended warranty, and dont look back!! The closer you can get to an 07 build date the better!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Cozeep
New User
05' here with no issues at all, get an Oasis and run it through the experts on these forums. Enjoy !

Old 12-27-2008, 07:57 PM
cj50
Senior User
I just went thru the same decision on an 04 with 104,000 miles. I bit the dust and not looking back. Put a water filter on it, did trans flush and service, already went to Ford to stock up on fuel, oil, and external trans filters, plan on maintaining it very well.....maintenance is cheap insurance. And I agree, after all the reading, it appears alot of problems are from chipping these trucks and some of the anti-stock mods. I think we're going to have to live with the governments "green" EGR issues and just learn how to avoid mechanical problems via proper maintenance. I also agree these are high hp engines made to be worked. Maintain it good, drive the p*ss outta it and I think you will have no more problems than with anything else, which isn't saying there won't be problems. Who really knows??? We just have to accept that if we want these kinds of trucks its gonna cost us, some more than others........I only really need mine about 6 times a year but when i need it, i need it and want it so I have accept there's a price to pay...........when and if i get tired of that price I'll do something different.....until then..........this truck ROCKS!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM
rrushhour
New User
I really appreciate the responses. I think I'll go ahead with the inspection and have the oasis run then try to make a decision before it's sold from under me. I do agree with the consensus here....if 6% of people were unhappy with a product, they would definitely scream louder than the satisfied 94%. I guess it's only $$$ right

Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
Buy the truck, buy the the extended warranty, and dont look back!! The closer you can get to an 07 build date the better!
I'll add:
  • Change the engine oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use a top quality oil and oil filter.
  • Use fuel treatment with every tank (Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne, etc...).
  • Think long and hard before you use a tuner (SCT, etc...) and do not tow while tuned.
  • Install a coolant filter (Dieselsite, etc...)
  • Enjoy an overall outstanding truck!
If you buy, and use, a Super Duty 4x4 you'll never want a bowtie ever again. That's just my humble opinion...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Kepler4
I'll add:
  • Change the engine oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use a top quality oil and oil filter.
  • Use fuel treatment with every tank (Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne, etc...).
  • Think long and hard before you use a tuner (SCT, etc...) and do not tow while tuned.
  • Install a coolant filter (Dieselsite, etc...)
  • Enjoy an overall outstanding truck!
If you buy, and use, a Super Duty 4x4 you'll never want a bowtie ever again. That's just my humble opinion...
+1 on that and very well said!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
And if you don't need it, it doesn't have to be a 4 X 4! You will save some fuel and maintenance with a 4 X 2.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
04redstroker
Senior User
Im one of the horror stories. I just bought an 04 350 with the 6L and 88000 miles. Had it a week and a half, and it already is getting a motor under warrenty. Thought the egr cooler went so i took it in, and it ended up needin HGs. When the tech tore into it, it now needs a motor.
I guess its my fault, I must of missed somethin when i looked at the truck. It had a clean oasis too. It should be covered under warrenty, but i wont find out till friday.

Quick Reply: Put me Out of My Misery!!!