2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what toyota guys think

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
FTL40
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what toyota guys think

i was bored the other night and looked around at other truck forums. i came along a tundra forum and figured it would be nice to learn something about those trucks. i read some funny stuff. we all saw the video of the truck test on the ford site. i guess since big rigs have frame twist its good for small trucks to have it also. and the bad handling with a load is ok because it makes for a nice ride. and our trucks are dangerously slow and cannot merge onto highways. idk about you guys but my truck is stock and i have had no problem getting into 70mph traffic. yes i am sure the tundra is a fast truck, but if i wanted a fast truck i would of bought a lightning. and if anyone has ever been in one they feel veryyyyyyyyy chreap. no thanks. there was also some polls on the site and even on a tundra site is was almost 50/50 if they would buy another. guess dashboard rattles and other cheap things will do that. seems to me if ford had a little peppier motor it would help. but then again they already sell the most trucks no? oh and i also read where guys think the 150 can only go 70k before it dies. i laughed at that one. i am sure there was more but thats all i can remember. enjoy the weekened guys

Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Funny post....

Love to hear their excuses...

As long as they're happy with their Tundras, well, I guess that's all that matters....

I don't think I'd be happy settling for one, though....

Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I go on the Tundra site, but I show respect on there, and there are some people who post there and bash F- 150's, and some people do claim that some aspects of the Fords are better in some areas. After reading many threads there, the Tundra has it's fair share of problems, so were not the only one's that post problems here and there. They have problems like 4x4 front axle noises, dash board rattles, rusting edges on chrome bumpers, bed shakes, flimsy sheet metal and tailgates, etc., etc. But most seem to only find them as annoyances, and would still buy another Tundra. I've read many people on here that would not buy another Ford truck because of problems with their trucks and dealerships, but many Tundra people don't always feel that way about their trucks. They seem mostly quite loyal having the same complaints as here. I am on my fourth Ford truck and don't regret buying any of them. I've been a Ford man my whole life, and so has my family. I don't think Ford makes the perfect truck, but neither do the others. I have no problems with Tundra people, I have big problems when they talk trash on Ford trucks when they don't make perfect trucks either.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
every vehicle has it's problems no matter who makes it.

but you'll find that most Toyota guys are rabid about them...same with Honda's. never have understood it. I've had enough imports to realize that the import market is just as bad as domestic in terms of reliability.

I've owned a 2000 4Runner...a nice enough vehicle, but it didn't last and Toyota wouldn't honor their warranty. That was enough for me.

My Ford's have screwed me occasionally, but I will always have 1 in the driveway.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
stanger_missle
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
My Ford's have screwed me occasionally, but I will always have 1 in the driveway.
I think that pretty much sums it up for me too. I've been a Ford fanatic all my life. There have been a few Toyotas in there too (cars, nothing newer than 1984), but I will always be loyal to the Blue Oval.

I grew up with Fords. My dad is a huge Ford guy. My uncle however, is all about Chevy. He always has to get his .02 in about everything. Typical Chevy owner .

Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 PM
BlackBetty05
Junior User
dbl post sorry

Old 12-27-2008, 04:03 PM
BlackBetty05
Junior User
Are the majority of Tundra owners first time truck owners (I wonder)?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:56 PM
442w30
Senior User
I access most of the forums to keep up to speed with the products thru the eye's/mouths of the owners. I really don't get the "Toyota is the only thing built that is worth a damn" mindset. Tundra has had it's share of problems going all the way back to the ill concieved T-100. If you really want to start a p.......ng contest who would buy a truck that you cannot use the tailgate because it will buckle if you do anything more than sit on it?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Looked at the new Tundras before I bought these. Price too high, too many noisy tin can parts (front bumper too, very cheapo), was not impressed. No question the drivetrain and everything was superb, but the rest I didn't care for. That being said, I had an 84 SE5 turbo extended cab, that was one of the smaller trucks. It was a great small truck other than for some reason it blew two freeze out plugs in the beginning, suspect they were defective, never had any trouble after they were replaced. Sold truck at about 12,000 needed 4 door wagon.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Pony Hauler
Senior User
I owned a tundra for a couple of years. It was a good truck, however, towed like crap. Hooked up the car trailer to it and it squatted really bad. Bought my current 150 and hooked up the same car trailer, no problems what so ever.
I agree with tylus, ever maker is going to have their problems, and the owners will always bash other makes.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Beleive they only go 70 k before it dies",,,LOL Now thats funny,,,my son has an 01' F-150, XLT SC, 4x4 4.6, 5-speed manual,,we purchased it with 187k on the clock,,has somewhere around 205 k on it now,,runs, drives and sounds Great,,,,not that there is no problems,,,the bed is rotted underneath kinda bad,,,sometimes it is rather hard to get into gear,,,but it has never left him stranded,,,,, like his Acura did,,,I had to take my F-350 and trailer several times to go rescue that POS,,,lol

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Aberdale Farm
Senior User
Interesting thread for me since my brother bought a new Tundra and my BIL bought a new Dodge at the same time I bought my F150 in 2007. So far, all three of the trucks have been perfect for each of our needs. My brother bought the Tundra because the magazines said it was the best. My BIL bought the Dodge because it had the lowest price. I bought the F150 because I believed it was the best truck. My brother just brags the Tundra up to no end about the power. However, in two years he has yet to haul anything in it. It's basically just a commuter. Of course, he has always been easily swayed by what he reads in magazines. If the road test articles say a vehicle is the best, he will buy it without even test driving the competition. Some day he will learn. Or maybe not . . .

I test drove them all at the time, and have owned a few other brands along the way. To me the Ford was an easy choice. Of course, I'm sure I'm biased too, but the bias is based on experience not what I read in a automotive tabloid.

Dale

Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
stanger_missle
Senior User
I love some of the videos on YouTube.

YouTube - Ford F150 vs Chevy vs Toyota - Bed Bounce
This one demonstrates the stiffness of the frame. Watch the Tundra.

YouTube - 2009 Ford F150 vs Toyota Tundra, Chevy Silverado, Dodge RAM,
This one tests the 2009 F150 against its competitors. Again, watch the Tundra.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
FTL40
Senior User
but the tundra guys said the flex is a good thing, big rigs flex. i am not trying to bash the tundra. but in one of there polls it was only about 50% that said they would buy another one. thats a lot and i am sure 50% of us 150 guys would not get another truck.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I'm one of the 50% that would not buy another Tundra. It's a piece of crap in every sense. Sure, the drivetrain is top notch but that is it. Interior sucks, can't haul a load in it worth a crap b/c it'll dent (I have so many dents on my besides from knees or even leaning over the side) and I can't stand on the wheel wells with shoes on (specially my boots) and I weigh 180 lbs. It'll dent and pop out, sometimes.

It'll haul 2000+lbs in the bed but I've only done that once, about 6 miles away. Wasn't on the bumpstops and had plenty of power to make the left turn into hard traffic.

I have been a Ford guy on my life. Everybody makes mistakes - and sure 'nuff a Ford will be in my driveway in a few years. I don't see the shell on this one outlasting the drivetrain.

My problems thus far are LOTS of squeaks and rattles from just bout every corner of the interior, front end squeak that is "due to mud" (I don't see any mud down there), rust, and a new clunk that nobody has any idea as to what it is.

Sorry for my rant. I just want a Blue Oval again. My dad has a new Sport Trac with almost 40K miles on it. They rebuilt the top end of the block b/c it was noisy but I drove it when I came back to see family and that thing is flawless otherwise - not a squeak, rattle or anything. My truck sounds like a friggin diesel and Toyota won't do a thing bout it. The Ford in the same temps sounds like a kitten

-rockstate

Quick Reply: what toyota guys think