2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Wheel High Wining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Wheel High Wining Noise

Happy Holidays everyone!

OK... Yesterday morning, I get in my '05 SCREW to head for work. As I'm driving I hear this variable whining noise (i.e. the pitch gets higher the faster I go, lower the slower I go). It was pretty loud and noticeable. I pull over to check to see if something was stuck in my wheel. Nothing. I drove for a few miles and it eventually went away and didn't hear it for the rest of the day.

Fast forward to this morning...once again, I'm heading to work and as soon as I pull out the driveway, the noise starts back up. Just for the hell of it, I switch to 4H and it immediately goes away. Switch back to 2H and it comes back. Since I have like 6 days left on my warranty, I take it to the dealer to have them look at it. The dealer is about 3 miles from home and as I'm heading up there, I can hear the noise getting fainter and fainter. By the time I get there, it's gone. The mechanic took a ride with me, but the noise would not come back. He jacked it up and gave it a quick once over, but couldn't find anything.

For the past 2 days here in D.C. the temperature has fallen below freezing overnight so whatever it is, its something that goes away once parts start moving and warming up. It's kinda strange because in 2H the front wheels are free rolling but in 4H the hubs are locking. Any ideas? It's an '05 SCREW with 33K on it.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
AspenF150
Senior User
From my experiences, whining noises like you describe is usually a sign of bad wheel bearing(s)

I would like to say for sure that's your problem but you mention it goes away in 4H, weird. Only other thing I can think of is your hubs.

If I suspected a problem like yours, jack up the front the of truck, put both of your hands on the top and bottom of the tire, then move the wheel/tire to make it wobble. If it doesn't do it, bearings are fine, if they wobble, bearings need replaced. Best advice I can give you.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Yeah, I suspected the bearings as well but the 4H is throwing me a red haring. I'm one step ahead of you and had planned on jacking it up when I got home tonight. Arghhhh...I can't believe this is happening NOW with the warranty expiring Monday!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
have the mechanics check your IWE

the IWE can fail in these trucks and make noise. when you switch to 4x4 and the noise disappears, it means the IWE is bad, or the vacuum solenoid on your firewall or the vacuum hoses needs some TLC

Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Originally Posted by tylus
have the mechanics check your IWE

the IWE can fail in these trucks and make noise. when you switch to 4x4 and the noise disappears, it means the IWE is bad, or the vacuum solenoid on your firewall or the vacuum hoses needs some TLC
I will do just that. I found a few other links regarding the IWE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...eshooting.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-problems.html

Ford F150 IWE Whining in 2WD, 4x4 Not Engaging

Here is the TSB.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...x.php?p=by_tsb

Will keep y'all posted.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Als03FX4
Junior User
At first my dealer thought it was a bearing in the transfer case. Turns out it was the thrust bearing in the tranny. My truck would whine and get louder under acceleration and higher speeds. Then all of a sudden it would go away and come back a few minutes later or hours later. I had a thread on it a few weeks back. Hope this helps!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Turtlesplatter
Junior User
Originally Posted by Als03FX4
At first my dealer thought it was a bearing in the transfer case. Turns out it was the thrust bearing in the tranny. My truck would whine and get louder under acceleration and higher speeds. Then all of a sudden it would go away and come back a few minutes later or hours later. I had a thread on it a few weeks back. Hope this helps!
I just saw your thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...8-f-150-a.html

Glad you got it worked out.

Did yours do it most of the time or only when it was cold out then stop (e.g. were you able to replicate the sound once it was at the dealer?) LIke I said, mine goes away after a few miles/warmed up. I printed out the TSB for the IWE and just brought it up to my dealer to see if they could look at it and they said they would. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. I will also ask them to check out the belts as well.

Stay tuned!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Als03FX4
Junior User
Mine did it most of the time when it was cold or warmed up. My dealer drove it around and they noticed it. Hopefully they can fix it for you!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 PM
bob1987f
Senior User
my iwe actuator on the drivers side went bad. i replaced it and blew out the vaccum lines (unplugged them at the solenoid on the firewall, and at the hub and blew compressed air through them) and dust and crap came out.

i learned from this site that water can enter through the solenoid on the firewall just behind the battery, and leak down causing problems. the 06's and newer have a plastic shield over the solenoid to prevent water from entering your vaccum lines. i got one of those for peace of mind too.

mine was making a rattling (almos spark knock) sound, but when i pulled it into 4H it went away too

Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 PM
toofast2
New User
"my iwe actuator on the drivers side went bad. i replaced it and blew out the vaccum lines (unplugged them at the solenoid on the firewall, and at the hub and blew compressed air through them) and dust and crap came out.

i learned from this site that water can enter through the solenoid on the firewall just behind the battery, and leak down causing problems. the 06's and newer have a plastic shield over the solenoid to prevent water from entering your vaccum lines. i got one of those for peace of mind too.

mine was making a rattling (almos spark knock) sound, but when i pulled it into 4H it went away too"

Hi bob1987f,

Did you replace the solenoid or the actual IWE actuator at the hub? I've got the same problem right now and i replaced the solenoid yesterday, but the noise is still there (only on the drivers wheel).

I tried taking the wheel off to follow the vacuum lines, but couldn't find where it is attached. Can anyone tell me how to get the vacuum line off at the wheel?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
the vavccum lines attach to the hub directly behind the knuckle..... its easy to pull them off and check for vacuum. im also in the process of getting my system fixed... i have the same problem of the driver IWE not fully disengaging..... but i checked my vacuum this morning, i have about 22" on both hubs..... tells me i have a bad IWE.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
toofast2
New User
Do I need to remove the caliper to access the vacuum lines at the hub, or can I get to them by turning the wheel all the way to one side?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone know the part number of that little shield...and does it attach through already made holes????

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
anyone know the part number of that little shield...and does it attach through already made holes????
check this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-solenoid.html

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
bob1987f
Senior User
yeah i checked my vaccum too. I pulled the lines off at the firewall, and put a vaccum gauge on them.....then pumped it up and it wouldnt hold vaccum. so i knew my actuator was bad.

i had to pull the rotor off, hang the caliper to side with wire, drop the tie rod down, then bust off the upper ball joint and the steering knuckle, so i could pull the knuckle out twords me a bit, then remove 3 little 10mm (i think) bolts, and swap the actuator for the new one

i think the actuator cost me like 45 from ford......dont remember about the solenoid

Quick Reply: 2 Wheel High Wining Noise