1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Future of the Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Future of the Ranger?

How long will Ford build the Ranger? I've been on the Ford site and I really want a new Ranger 4x4 with 4.11 gears, and 15" wheels. Not wanting to buy right now just wanting to know how long I have to get the truck I want.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are three ways..... To save ranger name and to build other truck with Ranger name. To rebrand Ranger... and.. to do nothing and continue Ranger for next years.... )))

Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
I think you'll probably go for an '11 if you want this truck. '12 is the turning point if Ford can stay on keel. '12 could be a good thing or a back-breaker. Are you a skeptic or an optimist?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Due to the current auto crisis, Ford will restructure it's production lines in attempts to diminish slow sellers and overstock, but I believe the current Ranger model is here to stay. Ranger's sell!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
I slipped into an Edmunds news blog in a search for Ford 4.6 cutaways against my better judgment. Wish I hadn't done that... If the Ranger stays as it is now, they'd be bucking the whole auto industry. The true Ranger could compare like a Humvee if things get crazy enough. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is to become something more like a Honda CRV "CUV." For Ford to leave the Ranger as it is now would take a huge amount of corporate nerve. Would be wise, but not gonna happen. It's as good as gone anyway. The next one's getting pushed pretty hard. Now back to Autozone website where I should gone to begin with. Ugh.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
So have the last current Rangers been built? Are the current 2009's just rebaged 2008's. Or will there be more 2009's built after the Christmas shut down.

The reason I ask is I have looked at the Ford web site and if it is correct I may be able to get a 2009 Ranger XL 4x4 with 4.11 gears, and 15" wheels. I do need an auto tranny and full size spare. And I want the extra payload pkg, Rancho shocks, skid plates, AC, and CD player. Tow package would be nice if it came with extra cooling. But this would have to be ordered I think.

Or should I start looking for a FX4 on a lot somewhere? I like to go to remote places and tires can be hard to find near the places I go. So I would prefere the XL with the 15" wheels and the xl is several thousand less thar the FX4. But I could get the FX4 and then trade tires and wheels. I really like BFG AT's.

The 2011-2012 thing is when I had planned to buy a new truck. Should have my house paid off by then. But if there will be no Rangers then I will have ta change my plans. Maybe just buy a older Ranger and rebuild the whole truck to what I want.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Go buy one on a lot and help save the Ranger, if you help sales Ford will want to keep building them.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Jack, Ford is supposed to continue the Ranger as-is until '12, when the new platform takes over. Browse through some threads. '12 is all rumors right now & probably about as topsy-turvy as the CEO's opinions. Of course, your wish-list could be hard to match at the end of this platform. Probably not, but package options are easy to cheapen & do away with FX4, Edge & so on. Anybody remember Tremor?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
drb1956
Elder User
Hey, Matt!! How are you feeling??? Did you get your problem fixed??

Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I have searched on line and no one is showing a XL 4x4 with 4.11's in stock. I think there was just one FX4 in this area. I'd like a Blue truck if I was gonna spend the money(the FX4 in my area is not Blue). Thing is my house is due to pay off in 2014 and my income (retiremant) will change in 2012. So I need to make sure my house is paid off by 2012. I might be able to go as early as May or June 2009 (have to check with mortagage company-I've been paying extra and need to find where I'm at). If I can order what I want this spring that might be possible. If a comp ignition Ranger was a sure thing I'd wait for it. I really want to have a lot of driving range and plan to put another fuel tank in the bed. Not sure if it will be propane or gas. I have had SUV's and have had to go to town for fuel every few days during my camping/off highway travel trips and want to extend that. I'd really like a 500 mile plus range.

So I guess folks are saying it is unk. Don't know what Ford will anounce after the first of the year. There may be a Ranger around in 2011/2012 but no idea what it will be like. The only sure way is to try to get what I want now.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:00 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by matt's2.9STX
Jack, Ford is supposed to continue the Ranger as-is until '12, when the new platform takes over. Browse through some threads. '12 is all rumors right now & probably about as topsy-turvy as the CEO's opinions. Of course, your wish-list could be hard to match at the end of this platform. Probably not, but package options are easy to cheapen & do away with FX4, Edge & so on. Anybody remember Tremor?
Thank you. That's what I was looking for. I will keep checking the Ford on line price and build service for option changes. Prices are really good now. Too bad I am not able to get one right now.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Originally Posted by drb1956
Hey, Matt!! How are you feeling??? Did you get your problem fixed??
I'm strong as a horse since yesterday. Thanks! Mostly pizza & popcorn today. As for the autos, looks as though I need some Mile Maker hubs (frugal & tough) along with basic servicing of the transfer case. Clean the motor & look into why it won't access low range, which I hope we won't need anytime soon. Dad's Vic OTOH - O boy. I'm figuring 80% odds it needs timing chains. 150K & the front half of the right cam all the way to the timing cover rattles constant & gets really odd noises intermittently. On paper, it looks like a cakewalk - with the dealer cam locks. Buck's Garage probably doing it for him though. They're good, but I'm twiddling my thumbs.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 PM
drb1956
Elder User
Too cold to be working outside on that stuff now!! Hope you got a warm garage, or at least a place to get out of the wind..S'posed to get to 20 something here tomorrow, whoopee!!!!-heat wave...GOOD LUCK!!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 PM
drb1956
Elder User
On the Vic, do the still put nylon, or whatever that plastic is, on the gears?? Haven't done a timing "chain" in so long , I'm behind the times. That's why I always replaced timing chains, the damn gears wear out-they said it was to make them quiet. Hell, even after replacing the gears with steel gears, I stiil couldn't hear them!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Hope not, but I doubt it with 150k on its clock! I'd suggest something like bronze at its softest, but I believe it needs a harder light alloy as there are warnings repeatedly & adamantly stated to lock the cams in place before pulling the chains to avoid valve/ piston damage. I think the tension guides look like nylon though & boy are those pricey at $100/ ea. Overall easy, so should be 3 hours labor tops at Buck's. I guess they're hoping my brother's friend doesn't waste much time in teaming up with me to finish rebuilding my old Nissan for my youngest brother fresh out of college. & you're O so right about needing a nice heater in that drafty old garage. Hard to guide an engine & tranny smoothly with a jacket under a parka even with my nice crane & leveler.
Hope that Ranger deal works out well for you, Jack! Sounds tricky, but at least you're not terribly picky like so many of us who will not drive an automatic if it kills us.
OK, I'm rhyming. Ugh. 'Night.

Quick Reply: Future of the Ranger?