1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Future of the Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by matt's2.9STX
Hope that Ranger deal works out well for you, Jack! Sounds tricky, but at least you're not terribly picky like so many of us who will not drive an automatic if it kills us.
OK, I'm rhyming. Ugh. 'Night.
I do like the extra MPG of a std. but it's really not a choice for me these days. My left leg was busted up bad years ago and just don't work right. I can still drive a stick but it just won't hold up to a week or 10 days of off roading. Dang thing starts give'n me fits after the first few days and takes a bunch of the fun out of the trip. Gets to the point where it could really kill me.

As long as I can still order from what they are showing on there web site it should be pretty easy.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I ordered my 09 FX4, 3:73 is the standard 4x4 gear now. To get the 4:10's, you have to get an FX4 with the torsion. I would say that it's to help mpg. The current ranger will cease production in 2011, as the new world ranger comes on line for 2012. So you have 09-11 to buy the current ranger.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Thanks Wendell. How do you like the FX4? On the Ford web site in the price and build section it shows that the rear axle can be ordered in 3.73 open and LS and 4.10 open and LS then a 4.10 with the Torsen in the 4x4 Ranger. If I order a FX4 I have my choice of 4.10 LS (Track Loc?) or 4.10 Torsen.
If I order an XL I have the choice of 3.73 open (std.) or LS (opt.) and 4.10 open (opt.) or 4.10 LS (opt.). Again I suspect the LS offered would be the Trac Loc. FordDirect.com - Get A Free Price Quote, Build Your Vehicle, Search Dealer Inventory, View Pricing Details, Compare Trims, See Latest Incentives And Offers=

Also it seems the Payload #2 package with Rancho Shocks and heavier springs is an option on both the XL and the FX4. Guess they don't make a Level 2 anymore but you can oder most of the stuff as options (Torsen and Payload #2 pkg.)

Anyway the plan is to order a XL with 15" wheels and the 4.10 open rear end. Then when I get it put 31X10.5x15 BFG AT's on it and a Lock Right in the rear. Then a extra fuel tank and other boxes for camping equipment in the bed.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I could be mistaken about the 4:10 only being available on the torson, it may have been the trac-loc as well, but I'm pretty sure it had to be on a lsd. I was given a copy of the 09 order book to pick out my options for my truck. I didn't get to keep it or I would look again. I would talk to a sales person as the website isn't the most reliable for keeping up on changes. The only thing I couldn't get that the old level II had was the BFG tires and rims, also the bilstien shocks are now replaced with rancho's. This is the first ranger that I ever ordered, so I got everything I wanted even leather and of course a manual tranny with the level II chrome shifter. I love the truck, it's awesome. On my 04 4x4 I put a gear driven tru-trac in the rear, the torson is every bit as good. Basically there the same thing, both gear driven lsd's. The torson has great street manors, but really gets it off road, it's pulls and grabs like a locker. If you drive your truck on the road most of the time, I would consider the detroit tru-trac or the torson. The lunch box lockers can be touchy and noisey on the road. They can load up and make a racket on tight turns, chrip the tires in curves and can jerk the truck when they engage. They also won't let you power out of turns without sounded like there destorying them selves in spirted driving. I have found that the traction is no better off road than the torson or TT. The only advantage a lock right has off road is if you get one tire jacked up, they both will turn. However, with the torson and TT, if you get a tire jacked off the ground, just apply light brake presure and that will cause both tires to pull together like a full locker. When all the wheels are planted they pull like a locker. So unless rock climbing where you have a tire lifted alot, there's really no advantage. On the street, the advantage for sure goes to the torson or TT. There's not that much difference in price, however, you can install the lock right your self, where as the torson or TT needs a professional touch to set it up correctly. The ford trac loc sucks, it has clutches to wear out and needs a modifier. You have to add clutch packs to get it to grab as good as the torson. With the torson, the tire won't even make one revolution before the other side kicks in and they start pulling together, it's just an awesome unit. The torson will also strengthen the diff.
BFG 31X10.50 AT KO's is an excellent choice. I couldn't get 31's for 16" wheels, so I got BFG 265x75/16's. There about a 32x10.50, close enough. This is my 7th ranger, they are one awesome truck, you will love it on, or off the road. It's compact size lets it get into some tight places. Sorry this is so long, I just love talking about rangers.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Yup, I do a fair bit of off roading. This is Green my 94 Explorer: 4WD Adventures - Trail Rides - 4 Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine

I did have a TT in Mule my 96 Bronco and I liked it: Outlaw Trail Front View Photo

I have had a bunch of Lock Rights and do like them also. It was just a cost thing. I may decide to go ahead and spend the extra $3,000 or so dollars for the FX4. If I do I would get the Torsen. When I was searching availability I checked my home town of Wichita, KS and Oklahoma city, Kansas City, and Denver. I did find FX4's with 4.10 LS and 4.10 Torsens. The payload #2 package was pretty rare though. And all the XL's had 3.73's.

Yup, the riding the brake or as it used ta be called a poor mans locker is how I drive in technical sections. Helps out the open front also. I remember reading an article 25 or so years ago in a magazine (4 Wheeler maybe) Where they compared the power lock, trac loc, and the Gleason/Torsen. They jacked up one side and put it on a jack stand. The only LS that would drive off the jack stand was the Torsen with a bit of brake. The other clutch type would not move the vehecle even with brakes applied. Of course the DL moved the truck off the jack stand with or with out the brake.

If I could order it with a Detroit Locker I would. I do love a full on locker and have them in the front and back of my 88 BII. The BII is great for the very difficult trails but not the best for the highway. Green does well on the highway and for the kind of stuff off road I like to do but is pretty thursty on fuel (I have a C-5 auto and T&M Doubler in it) and she is gettin a bit old. She leaks inside when it rains and I just don't trust the old girl ta get me home. I have been buying used trucks for the last 20 years and just trying to get ready for a new one for a change.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
The Ranger Sport also has 4:10's. May save you a little bit of money versus the FX4.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rangerfan
The Ranger Sport also has 4:10's. May save you a little bit of money versus the FX4.
I looked at that but I think it has the 16" wheels in 4x4. Course I could just trade the 16's for a set of 15's or keep them and buy a new set of steel 15's. The reason for the 15 inch wheels is that the little towns that will be close to where I will be at most likely will have a 31x10.5x15 tire. So if I need a tire (been there a few times) there is a good chance I can find one and not have to drive to a big town or wait several days for a tire.

Another thing is that the Sport and FX4 had a third skid plate that is not available on the XL. That is not a deal breaker though.

Still leaning to the XL if I can get it with 4.10 gears, and the payload package #2.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
So HappyJack, your a fellow 4-wheeler, "cool"!! Here I am explaining things to you like a newbie and you could give me an education ha ha. I love taking my rangers out to the sticks to play, I also have a couple of old jeeps that I'm restoring. I did an old school build on the 258 in the 87. I went with a 470 holley 4 barrel on an offy intake, comp cam and header. The old 258 will run with the 4.0's now. I swapped in 4:10's and am running a tru-trac in the rear with an aussie lunchbox locker up front. I'm running BFG 32x11.50's on it. I must say it does quit well on the trails. The ****** has the 60 hp flat head with 5:38 gears. It will climb a tree if it can reach the first branch ha ha. It will only run about 45 mph on the road, but thats fast enough in that antique. I'm restoring it to stock specs except for switching to a 12 volt system. I do most of my wheeling in the mountains of W,Va. We have around a 1,000 mountain acres down there thats been in the family since the war between the states. I have to trailor the ****** down with the ranger as it's too old and slow to drive. The FX4 OFF ROAD, gives you all the off road goodies, plus vinyl flooring and a 4 door supercab. My 04 was only a 2 door and was a pain getting stuff in and out from behind the seats. The FX4 also come with the tow package. My dealer is also a tire center and keeps a good selection of BFG's on hand as it's the most popular off road tire. The 265x75 is one of the more popular sizes that guy's run on thier rangers around here with the 16" rims, so they keep them in stock. The most popular size is the 31x10.50/15 of course. I've been a ford man my whole life but have allways kept an old jeep a round of some kind. The rangers have allways impressed me with how they can hold there own with the jeeps. I love there compact size, makes them very nible on the trails. The 4.0 sohc gives them great power to weight ratio, they can blast the trails and can throw some awesome rooster tails in the mud. There just a fun truck because of there size. I've had several F-150's and even a super duty, but I'm most comfortable in the compact ranger, they just fit me like a glove.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I used be a heepie car driver. Had a 73 CJ-5 with a 304 and I put a t-5 and 300 in it. Won a few trophys at the Amarillo Sand Drags back in the 90's. Did Hole-In-The-Rock with it in the mid 90's: The San Juan Mission It had to be towed behind my F-150. A week on the trail in it and I was beat to hamburger. I had a 97 TJ and did HITR with it but the truck that ate that trail up and spit it out was my 89 Bronco II: New Page 0

For me it's all about the remote and historic places my truck will take me to. I just have two trail ratings. 1: I drive to where I want to go. 2: I have to get out and work to get where I want. Move rocks, hook up the winch, ect... I'm not as good as my friend Larry so I need a Locker to follow him in his stock truck.

I love to go out in remote area's and drive for days and see the great places in America that few get to see. Camp in remote camp sites. I'm old and slow these days so I just put along and enjoy the country. And I'd rather spend the time out in the desert or up in the mountians and not have to go to town for fuel every 2 days.

I did see that the FX4 had a Class 3 hitch. But that can be installed after market. Does the FX4 have extra cooling? Bigger radiator? Or a larger or auxl. tranny cooler? Bigger brakes?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 PM
bouche2211
New User
Thumbs up

Hello, Ford has been around for a long while, made many new vehicle's. Now in a time of need needs new idea's for Ford right? Ford has the new Ecoboost engine they are going to be using in several vehicles. These Ecoboost engines come in a 2.0 litre twin turbo with an estimated 275 horsepower engine and a 3.5 litre twin turbo engine with approx 340 horsepower. Wouldn't you think that these engines be a perfect replacement for the Rangers 2.3 litre and 4.0 litre? I think Ford needs a new super truck like the svt lightning and with todays wiery consumers a smaller truck would be perfect for a performance oriented truck. The Ranger is the perfect candidate for this. It has been around for a long while and is over due for a new engine. The 2.3 only produces 143 horse power and the 4.0 litre only produces a weak 207 horsepower. I am a marketing student who has loved Fords since I was born. I feel this engine set up would be a perfect boost for the Ford Ranger lineup. What do you think?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
I think you're the kind of guy they with the likely pocketbook Ford's marketing for. Just don't settle. Demand a truck. And what on earth are you using for a browser? That font was like looking at a fission reactor for a minute.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
O yeah, Bouche, Welcome to Ford-trucks. I still believe it's the best discussion forum on the web for these rigs. As they're meant to be. If my more pessimistic predictions come to reality, we may as well join Ranger Power Sports, so I'm underlining please don't settle.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
bouche2211
New User
haha, firefox and yeah the font's a little crazy..

Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
You must be using it for something cool on the side. Are you a developer or gamer or something? I know Firefox to be tweakable anyway its user wants & that was a quick adjustment. My compliments.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
HappyJack, I;m not sure about extra cooling, my truck is a manual, so I have no T-cooler. I do know if you get the torson, you get the big bearing 8.8 with the 32 splin axles like in the explorer.

Quick Reply: Future of the Ranger?