General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

O/U 12ga vs pump 12ga

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/U 12ga vs pump 12ga

I'm going to be buying a new gun after the holidays for turkey and waterfowl hunting. I watch tv and they used a lot of o/u for waterfowl and was wondering what makes them better or is it just preference? I know they cost a bit more but I could probably find a nice used one in my price range. I have found a cheap 835 at walmart, its like $150 less than on the Mossberg website There is also a nice 870 at walmart for $2 cheaper than the 835. Which would be the better choice of the pumps?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
****** up that 870! Does it have a magnum receiver?

Usually waterfowl hunting is cold and dirty. FWIW, I certainly would not take my O/U out in that environment.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You will get varying opinions on this so it will just come down to what your gut and pocket book dictates.

Personally, I prefer the up and down gun. I have a Ruger Red label and have been very pleased with it.

The up and downs offer less mechanical issues by the sheer nature of their design. When hunting in potential inclimate weather that should always be a consideration. In addition, it is easier to utilize different types of shot in each chamber. And you never have to be concerned about proper plugging of the gun. But, you have to be a bit more proficient. Only two shots available to you.

Pumps will serve you well. My brother is one of the fastest and most accurate pump shooters I know.

Don't eliminate the semi-auto. On a nice weather day most semi's will do well for water fowl.

I would be more concerned with the reputation of any given weapon brand you are looking at and using the correct selection criteria for the intended purpose. You may want to look a 30" barrel for turkey and waterfowl while I prefer a 26" for dove and quail.

No matter what you pick, the selction process is fun.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kepler4

Usually waterfowl hunting is cold and dirty. FWIW, I certainly would not take my O/U out in that environment.
What did you buy it for..to hang on the wall?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kw5413
You will get varying opinions on this so it will just come down to what your gut and pocket book dictates.

Personally, I prefer the up and down gun. I have a Ruger Red label and have been very pleased with it.

The up and downs offer less mechanical issues by the sheer nature of their design. When hunting in potential inclimate weather that should always be a consideration. In addition, it is easier to utilize different types of shot in each chamber. And you never have to be concerned about proper plugging of the gun. But, you have to be a bit more proficient. Only two shots available to you.

Pumps will serve you well. My brother is one of the fastest and most accurate pump shooters I know.

Don't eliminate the semi-auto. On a nice weather day most semi's will do well for water fowl.

I would be more concerned with the reputation of any given weapon brand you are looking at and using the correct selection criteria for the intended purpose. You may want to look a 30" barrel for turkey and waterfowl while I prefer a 26" for dove and quail.

Good luck and be safe.
Two schools of thought and two GREAT answers!

For me. . . for waterfowl, 870 pump.
Why???
THREE shots! (I need them!)

My O/U is a dove, pheasant gun and an 'informal' Trap gun.

You might even consider looking at the 870 "SuperMag".
For waterfowl and turkey, it'll handle those beastly 3-1/2" shells, plus, it'll handle the 'magnum' 3" and/or the 'standard' 2-3/4" shells.

My personal preference for all game is the 26" barrel, except for turkey and deer.
Then, something a little shorter. . .like a 20-22" barrel and X-Full choke for turkey and rifled slug barrel for deer.

As Keith said, don't rule out the semi-autos. I've carried my trusty Remington 1100 out on some of the nastiest days you would ever endure.
(Proper TLC after you get home is mandatory, though!)

Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Thats the best part! Insulated waders that have a hole in them!

Good luck and be safe.
A friend of mine has an 835 with a 24" barrel and he said the spread isn't much at all, it has a pretty nice shot for being such a small barrel, the one at walmart has a 26". I have eliminated semi-auto, I used my uncles 935 at the start of the season and ran through a box real quick, they are really nice I just would go through too many shells. I think I'll get the 835 just due to the fact its the cheapest and have had experience with them. I have an 870 20ga I use for small game right now and I love it and I've used my uncles 835 for ducks and turkey.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have both and hunt all sorts of waterfowl. and you cant go wrong with either gun. most states have a requirment to put a plug in your shotgun,so you will be limited to 3 shots. obviously the o/u will unload your 2 shells very fast. (i like that for my woodcock hunting)

i have a mossberg model 500a, 3 inch. got it in 91, has never once jammed on me, despite having a **** poor owner (me) in regards to taking care of it. keeps a very nice patter for turkey loads and birdshot. very accurate gun. has since been retired,to a deer slug gun (scoped)a few years back, and can throw a pattern at 100 yards in a pie plate with breneke ko sabot slugs 2 and 3qtr inch, is all i shoot for slugs

my o/u is a stoeger (ruger made i believe), has miss fired a couple of times on me,but absolutely love the gun, you feel zero recoil with 7.5 bidshot coming out of it

Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Go with a pump, Win. 1300/ rem. 870. Seen too many autoloaders have trouble in freezing weather. Most doubles are just too damn pretty/ expensive, to hunt with and scratch up, save for the trap/skeet field!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freirefishing
my o/u is a stoeger (ruger made i believe), has miss fired a couple of times on me,but absolutely love the gun, you feel zero recoil with 7.5 bidshot coming out of it
Stoeger is owned by Benelli/Beretta!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
ahhh my bad!! even better

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What did you buy it for..to hang on the wall?
OK, I set myself up for that one!

It's a Browning 325 Sporting Clays Grade II. It's real purdy and I intend to keep it that way Keith!

My Browning BPS gets the most hunting duty. I'd like to get a semi-auto as the Turkey loads can get brutal when used for squirrels and crows all day.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
OK, I set myself up for that one!
You should know better when I am lurking around.

But, to your point.... My daddy always said that I should keep it clean.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
How much more would an O/U weigh than a pump?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Depends on mfrs, barrel length etc.

My 26" Ruger up and down weighs approx. 1/4 # more than my 26 inch Rem. Lightning 1180 autoloader with thin wall barrel.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
bronco94
Junior User
I use my Browning Citori over/under for ducks,pheasents,geese and whatever comes along

Has served me well for 20 years now

Quick Reply: O/U 12ga vs pump 12ga