6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Got reflashed today

Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM
suzuki1750
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got reflashed today

Went to the dealer to get an oil change and they installed the "tee" for the coolant and was told they did a reflash. Anyone know what the reflash is supposed to fix? The guy told me they just started this reflash

Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
tgene
Junior User
I had been waiting to get oil change/service done on my 2008 f350 6.4 till the latest flash was available. I got mine done this week also. The dealership computer showed that the same two recall updates needed to be done (Venturi modification and new flash). I haven't driven enough yet for a regen to see that the digital indicator indicates it's in regen. I made my repeated complaint that the truck has sooty/black tail pipes and got the same old DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS look and yah, we'll look into it. I've even called Ford customer service and get the same response, it's normal. No one can give me an explanation why 9 out of 10 trucks that I've looked at have clean tail pipes. Oh well the truck runs great... gene

Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
DPF is most likely bad...they have to take it off to see that.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM
tgene
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
DPF is most likely bad...they have to take it off to see that.

Yah, I know that, but how do you get them to do that? Dealership won't do anything without an error code showing. Yep, you're screwed... gene

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
I've gotten the "deer in the headlights" look and thats when I go to another dealer thats comptetant and won't give me that look when I tell them somethings wrong with my truck.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dpf replacement never will be the only fix for sooty pipes

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=230>FORD:
</TD><TD>2008 F-Super Duty</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ISSUE:

Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel may exhibit one or more of the following concerns: lacks power, leaks oil, fuel or coolant from the tail pipe, abnormal tailpipe sediment, white smoke or ash, exhaust smell, knock or rattle, elevated idle, surge, crankcase oil level over-full, MIL On, DTC's P0087, P2291, P0263-P0284, P0300-P0308, P1336, P132B, P2262, P2263, P244C or P244D.
ACTION:

To diagnose and correct the concern, refer to the following Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>DO NOT START ENGINE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Evaluation, Inspections, And Checks

1. Retrieve KOEO diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
  2. Check oil level. Remove and clean dipstick. Reinsert into dipstick tube only until dipstick handle reaches top of dipstick tube (Figure 1).
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>FIGURE 1 DEMONSTRATES DIPSTICK POSITIONING FOR OVER-FULL CHECK. KEEP DIPSTICK HANDLE OFFSET OF CENTER TO PREVENT IT FROM FULLY SEATING. IF OIL LEVEL IS BELOW THE MAX MARK, OIL IS NOT OVER-FULL.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Figure 1 - Article 07-8-9

3. Check coolant level.
  4. Check fuel quality.
  5. Inspect tailpipes for abnormal sediment; for example black soot, white ash, oil, coolant, or fuel.
  6. Inspect vehicle for coolant, oil and fuel leaks at the following locations:
    • Tailpipes
    • Up-pipe joints
    • Exhaust manifolds to cylinder heads
    • Exhaust manifolds to up-pipes
    • Charge air cooler system and air inlet system
    • Oil separator
    • Inside air filter housing
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>PROCEED ONLY IF ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE (EOT) IS LESS THAN 150 °F (66 °C).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>VALIDATE INTEGRITY OF ALL EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE (EGT) SENSORS WITH POWERTRAIN CONTROL/EMISSIONS DIAGNOSIS (PC/ED) PINPOINT TEST (PPT) RC5 AND RC6 BEFORE PROCEEDING.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>IF REPAIRS ARE PERFORMED AS A RESULT OF THIS TSB, CHECK DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER OPERATION. SEE PC/ED, SYMPTOM CHARTS, NO DTCS, CHART 8.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Repair Directions

• Section A - If the following DTCs are present P0087, P2291, P0263-0284, P0300-P0308, or P1336 or if observation of external fuel leaks, for example, wetness around exhaust manifolds or over-full oil level indication.
  • Section B - If the following DTCs are present P132B, P2262, or P2263 or observation of oil leaks (aside from over-full oil level) or oil level is low.
  • Section C - If coolant low or observation of coolant leaks.
  • Sections A, B, and C - If only abnormal sediment in tailpipes.
SECTION - A

Fuel System Diagnostics

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>IN CASES WHERE ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN DILUTED WITH DIESEL FUEL AND ALL REPAIRS ARE COMPLETE, RELEASE THE OIL FILTER CAP ALLOWING OIL TO DRAIN TO OIL PAN AND KEEP FILTER, DRAIN THE OIL FROM OIL PAN AND FILL WITH NEW OIL. TIGHTEN OIL FILTER CAP AND RUN ENGINE FOR 10 MINUTES. FINALLY, CHANGE OIL FILTER AND OIL AGAIN.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  1. If oil is not over-full - go to Step 9.
  2. If oil is over full, drain and fill crankcase with new oil setting the level to the middle of the hash marks.
  3. Remove valve covers; refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
  4. Remove lower charged air cooler CAC hose. Inspect for fuel and oil contamination. Clean as required and reinstall.
  5. Start engine and use caution when looking for fuel leaks around supply tubes and injectors.
  6. If no leak is found run the IDS high pressure fuel system test and inspect for a leak during the test.
  7. If no leak is found turn the engine off and use a hand held mirror to inspect for cracks on the underside of the fitting boss. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 07-8-9
  8. Replace any leaking components and verify leak has been repaired while running IDS high pressure fuel system test - KOER.
  9. Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check.
  10. If fuel quality is poor, drain all fuel and replace with known good ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
  11. If no DTCs were stored in pending or continuous memory go to Step 13.
  12. Is there abnormal sediment in tailpipes or fuel evident?
    1. No - Complete PC/ED worksheet and applicable PPT tests for the codes retrieved.
    2. Yes - Go to Step 13.
  13. Is there abnormal sediment in the tailpipes?
    1. No - See WSM for diagnosis.
    2. Yes - Go to Step 14.
  14. Perform IDS Relative Compression Test.
    1. Problem Identified - Repair as required.
    2. No Problem - Go to Step 15.
  15. Perform fuel supply system pressure check (low pressure system) - KOEO.
    1. Problem Identified - Repair as required.
    2. No Problem - Go to Step 16.
  16. Observe IDS injector fuel trim.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>FUEL TRIM WILL DEFAULT TO ZERO WHILE EXHAUST AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM REGENERATION IS ACTIVE. (Figure 3)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  17. Observe IDS Power Balance. (Figure 3)
  18. Perform Enhanced Power Balance. (Figure 3)
  19. Compare results in Steps 16-18.
    1. Low fuel trim may indicate leaking injector.
    2. High contribution may indicate leaking injector.
    3. Elevated contribution in comparison to other cylinders while cancelled may indicate leaking injector.
    4. Excessive pull-up by subsequent injector may indicate leaking injector.
    5. An engine knock that is lessened when a cylinder is cancelled may indicate a leaking injector.
  20. If no root cause is determined in Steps 1-18, perform IDS high-pressure fuel system check and repeat Steps 1-18.
  21. If no root cause is determined, replace horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM) and on-engine fuel filters.
SECTION - B

1. Do not crank engine. Perform KOEO and observe turbocharger actuator. Does the actuator move at key on?
    1. No - Ensure turbocharger is above 32 °F (0 °C). Move truck to a warm location and repeat test. If turbocharger actuator does not move and is above 32 °F (0 °C), perform PC/ED diagnostics.
    2. Yes - Step 2.
  2. If no DTCs are present, go to Step 4.
  3. Is oil or abnormal sediment evident in tailpipes?
    1. No - Complete PC/ED worksheet and applicable PPT tests for the codes retrieved.
    2. Yes - Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check and repair as required.
  4. Is oil or abnormal sediment evident in tailpipes?
    1. No - Perform WSM, Section 100-04 - Noise Diagnostics.
    2. Yes - Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check and repair as required.
  5. Remove lower CAC hose. Inspect for fuel and oil contamination. Clean as required and reinstall.