Steering Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Steering Thread

See truck specs in sig. I've noticed the following:

At a complete stop, more when started up, the steering wheel is difficult to turn. It becomes easier when I start to move forward (gassing it and releasing the clutch).

There is a very slight clicking or ticking during some sharper slow turning in 2WD.

Quick sharp turning at a complete stop starts out easier, but becomes more difficult with resistance.

I have the hubs set at Auto and when I put it in 4WD, the steering is jerky, even when on packed snow and/or ice.

Are all of the above descriptions normal operation for the steering system in this truck? I understand that the PSD is really heavy and causes a lot more stress on the steering system than a gas motor would.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM
puller45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds just like my truck except for the clicking.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The ticking sound is very faint and you can't hear it unless you've heard it before and listen for it every turn. It might only tick a few times too.

Do you think it could be the hubs?. If hubs start to go, don't they usually puke grease all over?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That ticking sound could be your auto lock hub. I had a ticking sound while making turns and found it to be the auto lock hub wasn't completely disengaged. That caused it to "catch" and make a clicking sound. I took it off and then used Guzzle's instructions for disassembling and cleaning it, and haven't had the click since.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These trucks all i believe steer like that. Mine and others that run lifted trucks i think have an even harder time steering, mine wont really move at all from while stopped, its hard on the power steering pump. I think its a design flaw of sorts maybe not a strong enough power steering pump, cause it also loads the brake booster or the fact that it runs different fluid than a conventional pump? Im no expert but just a thought.