used Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
used Turbo

Hey everyone,
Ran across a fellow who's got a used 7.3L Turbo for $200 bucks. I was thinking about buying it for a spare. Is that a good price? I was wondering because I get a puff of white smoke at strat up, and in my mind with 225K miles maybee my Turbo has a slight oil leak? Anyways I guess I am asking two questions here. Its sooo cold in vegas right, now so not much to do except stay inside on the puter.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your current turbo by pulling off the intake tube, grabbing the compressor wheel shaft with your fingertips, and giving it a wiggle. If there is very little or no play, and the wheel does not make contact with the housing, then your turbo is fine and there is no need to buy another stock replacement. If it was leaking oil, it would leak the entire time it's running, not just cause a puff of smoke on startup. White smoke at startup is quite normal. It's simply cold, unburnt fuel. Hopefully checking out the turbo will put your mind at ease, and save you a bit of cash.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know if you have an early or late 99 but keep in mind an early 99 turbo can only be swapped with an early 99 turbo. Late 99 turbo can be swapped with late 99 to 2003 turbo.

Your puff of white smoke may be a bad glow plug.