2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Drivers door won't close when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
melek4me
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Drivers door won't close when cold

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start --><!-- In 1st Post Ad --><TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top width="100%" itxtvisited="1">OK this has been happening when its cold. the driver side door won't close all the way unless I put all my force into it.Which from the inside is difficult. Is there any quick fix for this? And its only the drivers door.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 PM
TOW II
Junior User
Make sure he rear door is closed securely, and that it's latched at the top. I've always had trouble w/ the top of my rear door, that's the one that needs slammed, with your hand towards the top.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
has the door always been slightly hard to shut?

almost sounds like you need to adjust your striker plate.

the latch where the door hooks is bolted down with a big Torx bit. You should be able to get that torx bit for under $10 at any parts store.

then just loosen the striker, adjust outwards slightly and re-tighten. test the door. keep repeating this step until the door shuts fine

also, make sure to check the outside seam of the door. You want the panels to be flush with each other

and if you are under warranty, the Dealership should fix this for free IMO...can't hurt to ask anyways

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
melek4me
Freshman User
thanks tylus
i have 04 screw FX4
It's giving me trouble when outside temp single digits,other wise door shuts fine.
I will check the striker plate. And yes I have torx set, I wasn't sure how to adjust before.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
If your door shuts fine at all times except when it gets very cold outside, adjusting the striker will probably not fix it and may cause other problems when the temperature warms up. You are probably having a problem with the latch assembly, possibly moisture freezing in it and causing poor operation at low temperatures. Does it shut fine after the truck has been driven and the heater has warmed it up? Dan.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by y2kfordparts
If your door shuts fine at all times except when it gets very cold outside, adjusting the striker will probably not fix it and may cause other problems when the temperature warms up. You are probably having a problem with the latch assembly, possibly moisture freezing in it and causing poor operation at low temperatures. Does it shut fine after the truck has been driven and the heater has warmed it up? Dan.
that's why I asked if the door has always done this

another cause may be that the rubber has ice forming inside it and isn't compressing.

as y2k asked...does the problem still exist after she is warmed up?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
rcaddell
Junior User
Originally Posted by y2kfordparts

Thats what is sounds like. Spray some WD-40 in the latch mechanism. Follow it up by lubing the latch with some lithium grease.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
tula771
Junior User
door problem

I have a similiar problem with my drivers door. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to pull over, get out, open the rear door, put my hand on the top part of the door, and slam it..........or its not completely closed and the first little bump you hit Is the adjuster on the top or bottom? thanks

Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
TOW II
Junior User
I took my truck back to the dealer, because the top of the rear door wouldn’t latch without giving it a good slam, plus the driver’s door wasn’t aligned perfect. After they got done with it, the door is worse aligned, and the rear door still has to be slammed to get the top to latch, I was told by the service dept, and two salesmen that it’s a common problem.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 AM
gfwalsh
New User
Explorer Doors Won't Latch When Cold

This is the same problem I have with my '03 Explorer. When the temperature drops the doors won't latch until the vehicle cab warms up. Curiously this also seems to be a function of humidity as well - doesn't happen as often in extremely cold & dry weather.

I've sprayed the latch with no success - dealer says the latch needs replacing but it works fine when above zero - and I'm not up for replacing all latches unless convinced they're shot. Is taking the door apart for inspection and/or lube advisable?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:37 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOW II
I was told by the service dept, and two salesmen that it’s a common problem.
Almost as common as salesman who will say anything to get a sale, or try to make a customer at ease with a "common problem".....

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Oh, for those with this problem... it might be worth your time to actually go to a body shop. They are the folks that understand lining up body panels, doors, etc. I bet they can tell if you what is screwing it up, and what you might have to adjust to get it working again.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 AM
TOW II
Junior User
Originally Posted by WhëëlMå1
Almost as common as salesman who will say anything to get a sale, or try to make a customer at ease with a "common problem".....

100% agree! Although “common problem” doesn’t exactly put me at ease. The conservation that I was having w/ the salesman, who is a friend of mine (sort of), was about the fact that I was looking to buy my wife an import, partially due to the out of box problems that I had w/ my new F150.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Well I have not heard of this common problem on more than a couple instances.. so I think its probably not that common

Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 AM
TOW II
Junior User
What I think the "common problem" is, is that the rear door may not get closed firmly enough, causing the top latch not to latch. I checked the passenger side and it latches with just a gentle push, where the drivers side needs a good slam w/ my hand placed towards the top to get the top to latch. I explained that to the service dept, but it's still that way. Guess my next trip will be to a good body shop.

Quick Reply: HELP! Drivers door won't close when cold