1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 Ranger won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Lo(red)ana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ranger won't start

I just recently bought a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 5 speed manual. I believe it's the 3.0 liter engine, and I know it's a V6. It's the Flex Fuel edition.

About an hour ago I was attempting to return from a friend's house and when I got in my truck it wouldn't start. I know it's not the battery because when I turn the key all of the electrical starts right up (air, stereo, lights, etc.) but the engine won't turn over. It cranks, but it won't start. I tried shutting it off, waiting a few minutes and trying it again, and still no luck. A friend of mine popped the hood and we found that a little bit of ice had clung to the serpentine belt, and we cleaned that off. After doing that we were able to get it to fire. I ran into a second problem, though. My parking brake has been sticking the last 2 days, which after exploring this forum, I discovered is most likely due to the freezing weather we've been having in my area, because when I started it, I would roll it backward giving it a little bit of gas, and then they would unstick.

My big issue is not getting the truck to start. Is it something to do with the cold? Or could it be some sort of other issue? I'm hoping it's not something serious, because it has been my room mate and I's main car (she drives a little tiny Saturn that has no traction in the snow) recently, and we really need to be able to have it to drive around while the weather is so cold. Any suggestions as to what I could do myself to possibly get it to fire without having to take it to a mechanic and pay out my nose to have them take a look at it? I'm hoping it's something simple.

Maybe trying a heating lamp/hair dryer to warm up the engine might work? It also has a fuel line shut-off that the manual said I could reset that would possibly solve the problem. Again, any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Yup, if it's a flex fuel, the it's a 3.0L Vulcan pushrod engine.

Could be a number of things.

Removing a little ice from the serpentine belt, shouldn't have anything to do with the engine firing & running, so you must have messed with, or moved something else, close to that spot, maybe the crank sensor, or it's wires, or electrial connector.
So if you were clearing the serp belts ice from this area, inspect the crank sensor, it's wiring & connector closely.

Did this problem come about suddenly, after some event, or has it been developing slowly over time????

Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to divert focus from a Ranger, but how are the treads on that Saturn & how's your snow? Do you get more than 3 inches heavy packing stuff in a few hours? The Saturn SHOULD be OK until it gets stuck from being too low in the snow with a little engine. I say that as I'm a Michigander realist who sees a 2nd vehicle like that as all-season backup. And after you check as Paw Paw suggests, if that doesn't do it, we can figure it needs air, fuel & spark in that order. The crank sensor is part of that, allowing fuel flow & possibly spark I believe. Some other bit that shouldn't normally affect a 4x4 is the main air inlet in the lower edge of the passenger side fender if you're in mountain territory.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in Montana, it's 25 below zero and my 99 ranger started right up. But the oil pressure was zero so I paniced and shut it off. Now it won't start, it will turn over but won't run.

I figure the oil is like jello, the gas is jelly, and I'm walking to the store. So it's all good.
BTW the Mercedes and the 1990 Bronco wouldn't even start.