Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

'80 model 2wd lowering..... yes lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 05:26 AM
kameleon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know most questions around in here are centered on lifting a truck. But I want/need to lower my truck a little. 2-3" should be about max. Does anyone know how to acheive this? I know I can move the rear leaf springs to the bottom of the rear axle but as for the front I have no idea. I want to keep a decent ride (not too bumpy). Is this possible or should i just give up?

Old 11-14-2001, 06:53 PM
mike460
Elder User
Post '80 model 2wd lowering..... yes lowering

hey man, sorry i specifically remember posting to this earlier, but i did it from school and the machines there suck. well, depending on how low you wanna go, belltech and djm both have kits out to lower your ride. i have an 88(same frame basically) and i did it wih djm drop i beams and belltech coil springs in the front(total of five inches) and a flip kit in the back(right at seven). so if you just wanna go 2-3 you'll need to decide whether you want 2 or 3, because all the springs out there are 1-2 inches and the i beams are all 3 i believe. and yea, they told me id have horrible negative camber, but i really dont, a degree or two off, but hey, what am i to do? the coil springs in the front are easy. pull the wheel, pull the springs, out new ones in, new shocks, wham. yer done. the i beams were kinda tuff though. dont need a bunch of mechanicl sense, but its just kinda tough. while you have the wheel off(both require this)i would definately change the tie rod ends while you have everything apart. oh, and the i beams require you to separate the ball joints, so you may wanna buy a new pair just to be on the safe side. and i cant remember what size sockets were needed but i do remember they were pretty big. the flip kit is really easy, support rearend, unbolt springs, lower rearend, put springs on bottom of axle, bolt everything back up. oh, and just snug the stuff, set it on the ground then torque it. not doing this can cause unwanted suspension preload. also if you do a flip kit, i would recommend a frame notch of some sort because youll have a bad ride if you dont(man i wish i had....). and another thing about the flip kit is i wouldnt do it if you werent gonna lower the front five inches, because then the rear would be lower than the front, so you could use either lowered springs or new shackles. sorry its so long but good luck on your project. this and the twins...heh heh. i just have a 460 that i cant figger out what to do with yet......
hope this helped, and im tryin to get some pics scanned of mine

mike

Old 11-15-2001, 04:58 AM
kameleon
Senior User

Thanks for the info. I do believe that the '88 and mine are about the same suspension wise. I only wanna go about 3" in the rear and about 2 in the front. Just to lower and level it out. I will be running Rims like the ones off of the Cobra-R or the ones off of the 2002 F-150 lightning. The cobra's are 17"x9" or 18"x9" but the lightning's are only 18"x9". So I need a lowering kit to go well with them.

Old 11-17-2001, 01:17 AM
fordtruck95
Freshman User