1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Freaky Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might not be related to your speedo problem , but I had a bounceing needle totally unreadable , not sure if the odometer was acurate but the problem was the sensor under the ring gear in the rear axle,,,,,,,,,, put a new one in and speedo is as should be......... I had a previous rear gear axle problem which in turn wrecked the speed sensor......

Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
But I'll bet when you got yours fixed, the odometer didn't account for the interim miles driven, right? THAT's the key. The OP said when her/his odo came back, the mileage had increased. That indicates a good signal from the VSS to the PCM (I THINK).
I never looked at the odo...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Craig- does the speedo bounce at all, or does it just quit? If it just plain quits it might be wiring like Rick said. When my PSOM quit me, it quit me once going down the freeway between Twin and Boise... just flat quit for a few miles then sprang back to life after I thumped the dash a few times. Went along fine for a week or so, then I started getting a bouncing speedo, and I mean REALLY bouncing- would go from 40 to 70 at around 65 mph. Definitely check the wiring before you go spending $ on parts. It also wouldn't hurt to pull the VSS out and wipe it off to see if that helps.
I plan on cleaning the VSS. No bounce in the speedo/odo, needle just drops and odo blanks out.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
might not be related to your speedo problem , but I had a bounceing needle totally unreadable , not sure if the odometer was acurate but the problem was the sensor under the ring gear in the rear axle,,,,,,,,,, put a new one in and speedo is as should be......... I had a previous rear gear axle problem which in turn wrecked the speed sensor......
Did you replace this yourself? What is involved in doing this?

I have a non-limited slip differential. If it has to be removed or rebuilt, I'd probably go with a limited-slip unit just for the heck of it. I would think it would be much of a cost difference between rebuilding the non-limited slip unit versus installing a limited-slip unit.

I wouldn't be able to this myself. I'd hafta take it to the dealer or some other shop.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
Mcdavidson, Veerrry funny. Thanks again for the help with the GPR "testing". PEBWAP, huh...is that like a "keyboard" issue causing computer problems?
We like to say that "the problem has been isolated to between the keyboard and the chair"...

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
mcdavidson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We like to say that "the problem has been isolated to between the keyboard and the chair"...
Ah Correct MadPogue!

And If you had ever met Craig, you would agree on PEBKAC...

So, I translated the acronym it into AutoSpeak....

HOWEVER I don't know that I would be surprised to be driving down the road and look over to see Craig driving down the road with a keyboard on his steering wheel trying to type something into the FTE forums! (Or the ITD forums)...

Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since no one has mentioned this when it happens wiggle the ignition switch and see if the odometer lights back up. As the truck ages going from RUN > START then releasing the key sometimes the it will not go all the way back to the RUN position. The Key has to be in the RUN position for the odometer and the sped-o to function, ie (light up).

Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you replace this yourself? What is involved in doing this?

I have a non-limited slip differential. If it has to be removed or rebuilt, I'd probably go with a limited-slip unit just for the heck of it. I would think it would be much of a cost difference between rebuilding the non-limited slip unit versus installing a limited-slip unit.

I wouldn't be able to this myself. I'd hafta take it to the dealer or some other shop.
Mooseman, I sent the truck to a heavy truck repair shop , the speed sensor was actually a freebe on them, the whole story is that back in Feb 08 I busted 3 teeth on the Dana 70 ring gear while plowing snow the shop next day aired my parts got me up and running in 3 days, the speed sensor problem was imediate but being a work truck I did not bring it back right away cause I work with the truck every day . It was a lot of work for them but they said that the speed sensor should have been ordered with the ring gear but they thought it was good to go, total cost was 1323.00 dollars I thought was not bad considering the ring gear and next day aire charges was around 300 dollars.......

BTW I bet your speedo problem is else where and not related to the rear axle, I only mentioned it cause these trucks are so much more complicated than they use to be and it nice to gain more understanding on how things work, the speed sensor was a new learning thing for me too....

Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I've used this explanation at the office several times. We simply call it a "keyboard" issue.

Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mcdavidson
Ah Correct MadPogue!

And If you had ever met Craig, you would agree on PEBKAC...

So, I translated the acronym it into AutoSpeak....

HOWEVER I don't know that I would be surprised to be driving down the road and look over to see Craig driving down the road with a keyboard on his steering wheel trying to type something into the FTE forums! (Or the ITD forums)...
MIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKE! That's it, I'm putting down my keyboard, parking the truck and getting my shovel.

You even changed the acronym this time. How am I supposed to keep up?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hussler
Since no one has mentioned this when it happens wiggle the ignition switch and see if the odometer lights back up. As the truck ages going from RUN > START then releasing the key sometimes the it will not go all the way back to the RUN position. The Key has to be in the RUN position for the odometer and the sped-o to function, ie (light up).
I'll have to give this a try the next time it happens...and I'm sure there will be a next time.

Tried to rep, but you know the story. Gotta spread the love around first.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Mooseman, I sent the truck to a heavy truck repair shop , the speed sensor was actually a freebe on them, the whole story is that back in Feb 08 I busted 3 teeth on the Dana 70 ring gear while plowing snow the shop next day aired my parts got me up and running in 3 days, the speed sensor problem was imediate but being a work truck I did not bring it back right away cause I work with the truck every day . It was a lot of work for them but they said that the speed sensor should have been ordered with the ring gear but they thought it was good to go, total cost was 1323.00 dollars I thought was not bad considering the ring gear and next day aire charges was around 300 dollars.......

BTW I bet your speedo problem is else where and not related to the rear axle, I only mentioned it cause these trucks are so much more complicated than they use to be and it nice to gain more understanding on how things work, the speed sensor was a new learning thing for me too....
Thanks for the insight and a different perspective on this issue. Reps sent.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
BTW I bet your speedo problem is else where and not related to the rear axle,....
Once again, if the odo is accumulating, even when it's not displaying, the VSS is (most likely) good.

Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Did you know that Halloween equals Christmas? Yeah, OCT 31 = DEC 25 .

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Once again, if the odo is accumulating, even when it's not displaying, the VSS is (most likely) good.

Did you know that Halloween equals Christmas? Yeah, OCT 31 = DEC 25 .
Haven't heard this one. Please explain. A new learning opportunity for me arises once again.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:02 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
OCT (Octal, or base 8) 31 = 3*8 + 1 = 25 = Decimal (DEC) 25

Quick Reply: Freaky Speedometer