Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EPV not working? / dim lights after cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EPV not working? / dim lights after cold start

With all the cold weather latley i was excited to anticipate my EPV kicking on in the mornings (its been down to 27) but it has not kicked on yet. What temp outside does it usually have to get down too for it to kick on?

Maybe mine is locked up? Ive been noticing in the mornings that after i start my truck and head down the road on a cold engine, after about a minute or so all of a sudden my dash and head lights will get brighter coudl this be related?

Thanks!

PS - i have two brand new batteries and a year old alternater

Old 12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Automator
Elder User
You must be southern OH, it's been much colder in North Central IN. My EPV seems to start in the 30's though I don't normally look forward to it. As for the lights, mine has always done that and I have figured it is normal.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Originally Posted by Automator
You must be southern OH, it's been much colder in North Central IN. My EPV seems to start in the 30's though I don't normally look forward to it. As for the lights, mine has always done that and I have figured it is normal.
Well i just love that sound and yes im in cincinnati. As far as the lights i never remember noticing it before but it could have been happening.

Has any one ever heard of the EPV being stuck? I saw where some people disconnect it but the only thing i have disconnected was my wastegate.

any other thoughts?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Automator
Elder User
I am about ready to put in the straight exhaust and maybe I'll appreciate it more after that is done.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Yeah it made a huge difference for me

Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your lights are probably getting brighter when the glow plugs turn off. You may want to check your alternator.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Your lights might get brighter when the glow plugs turn off.
That's it exactly. Your dash lights are dim because of the current your glowplugs are pulling. When they finally cycle off, full power is available to light your dash. If you do the GPR LED mod it's super easy to see then.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Yeah definately. It sounds like a jet taking off. Then if you hammer it you get a huge plume of smoke. Good times.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Ok thanks guys on the dim lights. Sorry for my double response as I am on my phone now instead of my computer.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dzzavid
Well i just love that sound and yes im in cincinnati. As far as the lights i never remember noticing it before but it could have been happening.

Has any one ever heard of the EPV being stuck? I saw where some people disconnect it but the only thing i have disconnected was my wastegate.

any other thoughts?
Yes the EBPV can get stuck. It is commanded to open by the PCM after various sensors are polled. One of the most important sensors is the EOT (engine oil temp), if your oil is below 40ish* F then the PCM will call for EBPV activation to facilatate a quick warm up. The AIT (air intake sensor) also has a bearing upon whether or not the EBPV is activated, as well as throttle position, transmission position, and emergency brake(man. tranny) position.

Now with all that being said you need to check and make sure the clip that holds the EBPV actuator to the actual valve has not become loose, or disconnected. The acuator is the rod that comes out of the side of your turbo pedistal and extends towards the pax side of the vehicle it is held by a sliding c clip to the EBPV, right before the down pipe on the bottom side.

As far as your dimming lights, that is your glow plugs working. If your truck becomes hard to start, with a lot of white smoke upon starting then your GPR or glow plugs are to be suspected as problems.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a pic of the clip on the end of the EBPV actuating rod that Brandon is talking about. If you push that clip back and drop the rod down it will release from the tang on the EBPV and then you can try moving the valve by had to see if it moves freely.

Bottom Side

Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Ok great i will try that tomorrow, thank you Brandon and Robin for your input!!

ill keep you posted on what i find

-dave

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
dzzavid
Senior User
Guys, i looked tonight for the EPV and i just don't see it, is it visible from out side the engine bay or do i need to remove something to get to it? It is definitely cold enough out side that it should be kicking on, so if it does not move freely once i find it does it need to be replaced?

thanks again
dave

Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM
new2diesel
Senior User
Had the same deal with my 02, the thread is waste gate. Found out I unplugged the intake air temp sensor and forgot to plug it back in. Cleaned out the exhaust by-pass valve too. pretty easy. everything works fine now

Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 PM
dzzavid
Senior User

Quick Reply: EPV not working? / dim lights after cold start