Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pluging up truck for winter?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 PM
poordieselowner
New User
poordieselowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
pluging up truck for winter?

what do you check to see if my heater plug for the heater is working?

and what rpm's do you expect to see on the tach when I am motoring over the truck to start?
99 f 350 7.3 super duty 192,775 miles
thanks all

Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.
When you plug the heater in for the night, does it start good in the morning? I know when I plug mine in, my heater blows hot as soon as I get in the truck. Not sure what you are asking.

I don't look at the rpms when I start my truck. Check the batteries to make sure they are fully charged. If your batts are low, no start.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.

It seems like you can use an ohm meter to test your block heater, but I don't remember what reading you're supposed to look for. I'll see if I can find that.

I'm like Rick, I've never watched to see what RPM's I get trying to start the truck.

Are you trying to diagnose a problem or just trying to learn?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
89BlackBeauty is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are a few posts on block heater - just search. Some of the GPR and Glow Plug posts talk about having about 200 RPMs when cranking. Here is what I found for test on the block relay.

To check the block heater I would:
1 - Take DMM (Digital Multimeter) set on Ohms and place leads on the two flats on the cord. It should read around 14 or 15 ohms. If 15, you win! Your block heater works. If 0 or far less than 14 go to step 2.
2 - Place DMM leads on each pin on block heater (it is located just above the oil filter). It should read around 14 or 15 ohms. If 15, you win! Your block heater is good, but your cord most likely has an issue. If not 14 or 15 ohms go to step 3.
3 - Inspect cord for major damage. If no major damage go to step 4.
4 - Find a buddy. Plug UNPLUGGED electric cord into block heater. Go under truck w DMM on 120 volts. Place leads in holes and have buddy plug it in. If you get 120v you don't really win! If you get less than 120 v you win a bit more. You can just get a new cord for the heater! (The bad news is the cord is only ten dollars cheaper than the whole heater assembly. Buy both and leave the heater sit for when that goes out.) I am not sure this step is necessary, but it is fun to try and zap yourself w 120.
I apologize, I cannot find this post again to let you know where I got it. Dang - someone did a great job with it.

Here is a link to one of the posts - scroll down for a pic in the post.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-question.html

Jim

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
BlackJeep
Senior User
BlackJeep is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If mine starts, it's working...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
muddingmcdude is starting off with a positive reputation.
lol i just look for sparks when i plug it in haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.