6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Front diff seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Front diff seals

I was under my truck today just looking things over as I do a lot of gravel road or undeveloped road driving so I try to do this every week or so.Anyway I was looking into the seal area on the front diff passenger side and noticed that there appeared to be a rubber O ring that has been dislodged from the housing where the axle runs into the diff(both sides). I had tried to push it back into the housing to no avail, the best I can tell is it seems to be ripped from another part inside,is this a one piece fluid seal or a seal to keep out the elements there is no fluid leakage at this point. If this is a failed seal is it common to have this fail at 44,000kms (27,370miles) I do not go hard core 4 wheeling and have only used my 4x4 on muddy lease's or snow conditions. I have not spoken to ford yet thought a little input from others was needed first.Thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have the same condition. I noticed mine about 30,000 miles ago. I have about 80,000 on the truck now. It is my everyday driver, all stock, nothing stressful on it. I am not sure what it is, but it doesn't appear to be hurting anything that I have noticed.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Its probably the hub seal for the 4x4, assuming you have the ESOF 4x4 system. I was trying to look into a set of manual hubs for my ruck. Its the only option I wish I had was a manual transefer case, but they are hard to come by aound here.

Sarge

Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
I looked at the front diff on another 07 and it appears to be the same deal as mine and dschuffert's truck. The axle seems to go through this seal into the differential . It would be like the rear bearing seal on the 9 inch only this is on the outside of the diff.I have taken a picture but I am not sure how to insert it to the post it appears I need to have a site like photobucket to have it appear here. I will work on the photo thing.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
I was able to upload a photo and hopefully this link will work.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...350pics001.jpg

Old 11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That definately looks like the axel seal, however it doesnt look like its leaking fluid. I will take a peak at mine in the morning and see how it looks. I would say if the 4wd is working as it should and the axel is not leaking then I would just keep an eye on it and see what happens. If there is a fluid leak then its time to replace the axel seal (s).

Sarge

Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had these seal go out of my truck twice and its covered under warranty!!! so take it in... it is the dust seal part of the axel seal, about 1/4 inch thick and just hangs off the front diff.. if you do it under warranty and your dealer is a good one they will likley replace the vacum seals at the same time... least they did on mine..
all the best

Koboss

Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Rocky Mountain Jeff
Mountain Pass
Thank you for the input, I am not that familar with the front diffs so all info is appreciated.I would assume that a total or almost total tear down is needed to replace the seal aswell as an alignment to follow. What purpose is the vacum seal I have not heard of one of these.Thanks Jeff

Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Jeff
Thank you for the input, I am not that familar with the front diffs so all info is appreciated.I would assume that a total or almost total tear down is needed to replace the seal aswell as an alignment to follow. What purpose is the vacum seal I have not heard of one of these.Thanks Jeff

The seals are dust seals and are pretty common for coming apart like everone here is describing. The vacume seals are the seals inside the hub assembly and on the axle inside the hub that allow the electronic shift on the fly to work. The hubs are vacume operated.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
dant
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they hard to replace?