Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Transmission Question

I posted this in an existing transmission thread, but was getting no hits probably because of the title of the thread. Never thought I would be asking another transmission question. Sitting at a light, slight upgrade so brake not needed to hold truck in place. Seems to slip a little when leaving light, almost like on ice, but not. Could it be the converter not locking up instantly? Where on that foolish yellow dipstick is the fluid supposed to be? Mine is below the center raised area. It looks like on the top area there is a H??? Mine is just below center. I wish I could post a photo of it, but it would probably never show up. I don't know what kind of dingus would design that damn thing like that.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:20 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
at running temp fluid should be in the cross hatches just above H or hot

Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
at running temp fluid should be in the cross hatches just above H or hot

Thanx Ray, and it looks like I may be a little low then. That is checking it with it running, right? That may be enough to make it slip as I am describing too, huh? I hope! My usual experience with low fluid is a delay in shifting from forward to reverse. I shall go out and get a couple of quarts. I only have about 7k on this transmission and did not think I would ever be asking questions about it again. Okay to mix synthetic with only about 7k on the existing?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
yes check it hot and running in park
do you have synthetic now

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
yes check it hot and running in park
do you have synthetic now
No I don't and can not afford to convert, but I want to put the best money can buy in so am open to any suggestions. This is my 3rd tranny and I will park the truck and go to the Vdub only before I replace another transmission.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
if you don't have syn then just add mercon
just for giggles next time you are in the same position put selector in #1 and see if it does the same

Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mixing the oils sounds like a bad idea Mark, not sure what all the drawbacks would be, but they would definitely both have different lubricating qualities to them. I have always checked my tranny fluid after it is good and warm, halfway up the H is correct like Ray said....

Old 11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Thanx Travis, it was only about a half a qt. low, so I have other problems on the horizon I'm afraid. This thing had better get me back to Charlotte. Counting the original this is my 3rd one. But at least this one the man did for free, or at the very least will not take any money from me for it. I did a beautiful deck for him and a deck addition and a screen room for his folks, but was paid for it so why he feels he should do my tranny for nothing is a mystery to me. I've never had one screw up quite like this before though. It is almost like a manual clutch slipping for a split second and then grabbing hard, all the other shifts are just fine, but does not do it every time. Guess I will just drive it as little as possible while I am here and keep my fingers crossed till I get back.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
just for giggles next time you are in the same position put selector in #1 and see if it does the same
You know? I missed this part of your post. If I drive it again today I will give that a try. Just what am I bypassing by doing this?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
You know? I missed this part of your post. If I drive it again today I will give that a try. Just what am I bypassing by doing this?
Mark, you may want to run the symptoms by Mark Kovalsky (our resident tranny expert).

Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
the older transmissions would apply more clutch pressure in low with that gear selected
my trans will sometimes do something similar when I first shift to reverse

Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Mark, you may want to run the symptoms by Mark Kovalsky (our resident tranny expert).

I know, but am not going to go out of my way to bother him. Given time, he usually jumps into every tranny thread.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Could it be the converter not locking up instantly?
You'd know if the torque converter locked up instantly. The engine would stall. The torque converter shouldn't lock until about 40 MPH, more or less.

I'll bet the slip yoke in your driveshaft is binding. You need to remove the driveshaft and grease the slip yoke. If it binds it can do just what you're feeling.

Sooner or later I usually show up. Some threads I stop reading, so if you post a new question in an existing thread it is likely I'll miss it.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Decided to play with it a little bit. I got under it and put daughter behind wheel with the emergency brake firmly on and her raise the rpm up to about 800 and then shift from D to R. It looks like I have some ring and pinion slop. I would think this would cause a clunk, but it sure don't. Primarily, Mark K, does this make sense to you? The transmission does everything else properly and I am pushing 212k so I suppose ring and pinion wear is a possibility.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It could be slop in the rear end. It might be worth your time to remove the driveshaft and inspect the U-joints and grease the slip yoke.