Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Getting a Lightning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I was just curious. It will get the best treatment from me. I love the truck so far. Gas mileage seems better than I anticipated! The only thing (other than bald tires) that is wrong is the air/fuel mix guage goes crazy. I took it to a friends shop and its a problem with the sensor so I'm just gonna get it replaced (since I can't get under this truck)

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
alamojimmy
Senior User
Hey Josh,

Just wanted to know how that Lightning is treating you! Any tickets yet?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by alamojimmy
Hey Josh,

Just wanted to know how that Lightning is treating you! Any tickets yet?
We are both getting along very well. I think we've also mutually decided to lay off the throttle until she gets new shoes. (showin steal on the fronts and baaaaaaald backs). She did show her bitchy side when a dodge cut me off earlier. She gave a real nice bark shifting into 3rd!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:05 AM
ckirwan514
Senior User
from the pictures your truck has mods. there is a chart that will tellyou how much boost your lower pulley has by measuring across the pulley. looks like you have an air force intake and filter and an accufab throttle body. the tuner is a hand heeld unit that plugs into your obd under the dash. find out who is in your local lightning owners club for more help. my name is chad 770-513-6295 would be glad to talk to you.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Hey, thanks man. I was supposed to meet with the original owner yesterday but he was out of contact. It has a stock upper on it right now. He has a 3.00 upper for me but I', already pushing 15#s boost and I don't wanna get into rod breaking range.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 PM
S.A.L.
Senior User
These engines are low compression.
You guys are spreading bad info.
Gen2 motors are around 8.4:1 stock compression ratio. Most cars are around 9.5 - 10.5:1.
It's the cylinder pressure, when moderate boost is applied, which requires higher octane.
87 octane is safe to use as long as boost is kept low.
When I tow or take a long highway trip I install a throttle stop to limit boost to about 5 pounds and fill up with 87. I also limit RPMs to 4500 or so.
I've owned my L since 2003 and tune myself with Sniper software.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Respectfully, the information is not bad considering the information given. The boost (15lbs) and that he hasn't anything to limit it. Even stock boost is too high for 87 octane, for daily driving, especially considering he's running a more agressive tune from Troyer. The non-boosted compression ratio is lower because under boost its going to be higher. Its going to require premium. If circumstances change such as the level of boost he's running, and a tune made for it, he could possibly run 87 --- but its not recommended even by Ford (the SVT supplemental manual says 91 minimum and that's with stock boost)

Sure, you can run lower octane with lower boost and a tune set properly for it... but that's not the case here, plus it's counter-productive since it negates the whole point of having a supercharger.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Respectfully, the information is not bad considering the information given. The boost (15lbs) and that he hasn't anything to limit it. Even stock boost is too high for 87 octane, for daily driving, especially considering he's running a more agressive tune from Troyer. The non-boosted compression ratio is lower because under boost its going to be higher. Its going to require premium. If circumstances change such as the level of boost he's running, and a tune made for it, he could possibly run 87 --- but its not recommended even by Ford (the SVT supplemental manual says 91 minimum and that's with stock boost)

Sure, you can run lower octane with lower boost and a tune set properly for it... but that's not the case here, plus it's counter-productive since it negates the whole point of having a supercharger.
Belive me gentlemen, my lady drinks the finest! (and stoutest).

I've gotten up to 15 lbs jumpin on it. It usually runs at about 10vac when I'm cruisin. I found out that sadly the truck isn't tuned by Mike Troyer (yet). It was done by a local guy. The throttle body came from Mike though. I plan on haveing Troyer do a mail order tune as soon as I get some tires.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
ace555
Junior User
Originally Posted by joshc_guitar
Ok I was just curious. It will get the best treatment from me. I love the truck so far. Gas mileage seems better than I anticipated! The only thing (other than bald tires) that is wrong is the air/fuel mix guage goes crazy. I took it to a friends shop and its a problem with the sensor so I'm just gonna get it replaced (since I can't get under this truck)

The air/fuel gauge problem that your referring to is nothing to do with any problems, you simply have a narrow band. Now what your probably used to is the WB or wideband air/fuel that stays constant (and costs $130 +install and takes special O2 sensors)...trust me mine goes annoyingly crazy until i hit 5+ lbs of boost and then it reads rich for me. Wish I would have spent the extra $80 and got a WB tho anything else and its just a light show...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
ace555
Junior User
Now I just want to put my 2 cents worth in about running 15lbs of boost...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...21-07_1348.jpg

thats what "venting the block" means..

Now did I have a bad tune and a poor running IC pump.. yes, but lets just say even with my built block from jdm I wont run over 13lbs! It's just not worth the risk anymore. Now I know you can get a "good" tune and run 15lbs properly on the stock block, but I'll tell you right now I wouldn't do it.

So do what you want, but I think most ppl here agree with me when I say 15 is a bit much, but HEY if you got $3500 backed up by all means blow every 08 vette out there out of the water!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by ace555
Now I just want to put my 2 cents worth in about running 15lbs of boost...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...21-07_1348.jpg

thats what "venting the block" means..

Now did I have a bad tune and a poor running IC pump.. yes, but lets just say even with my built block from jdm I wont run over 13lbs! It's just not worth the risk anymore. Now I know you can get a "good" tune and run 15lbs properly on the stock block, but I'll tell you right now I wouldn't do it.

So do what you want, but I think most ppl here agree with me when I say 15 is a bit much, but HEY if you got $3500 backed up by all means blow every 08 vette out there out of the water!

Well I will say that it only pushes 15 when I jump on it....hard. And even then its cold in TX right now. Now the original owner is supposed to meet with me and tell me which tune is which so I can set it for cold weather. I baby the truck most of the time, but I didn't buy a Lightning to grandma it around all the time either...lol I plan on having it Troyer Tuned soon.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by ace555
The air/fuel gauge problem that your referring to is nothing to do with any problems, you simply have a narrow band. Now what your probably used to is the WB or wideband air/fuel that stays constant (and costs $130 +install and takes special O2 sensors)...trust me mine goes annoyingly crazy until i hit 5+ lbs of boost and then it reads rich for me. Wish I would have spent the extra $80 and got a WB tho anything else and its just a light show...

I actually had a friend hook it up to one of the ford bricks and the 1st endsor in bank one read 16.000+ when the truck was off and 0.003 when he reved it. So, the sensor is bad or the wireing is jacked.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 PM
ace555
Junior User
o ok i stand corrected

Well it sounds like you got your mind made up about your tuner, but if you happen to want to compare - Rick at Amazon Tuning Solutions in SC has done an awesome job for me! Some of the best customer service you will find anywhere.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Cool I'll check em out! Thanks for all the info!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
King Leo
Freshman User
2003 SVT Lightning Owner

Originally Posted by joshc_guitar
I'm picking up my new lightning on Thrusday or Friday I just wanted to know what y'all thought.

2002 Ford Lightning Truck Supercharged aftermarket wheels and extras

Thats it. I'm payin $13,000
I could not be happier with my Lightning (Black). I've added K&N Air Intake/Magnaflow Exhaust/ Diablo Tuner/ Accufab Throttle body and it has a blower pully but not sure what size? Can anyone help me find out what the size is? I think it might be a 2lb pully because it goes straight to 10lbs when I get on it but the stock guage only goes up to 10. The Diable people say not to go more that 14lbs and I will take that advice.
I also really like the NITTO Extreme 555's! They look and hook like crazy!

Would really like to hear from anyone with these kind of things in mind. I am considering a Bassini mid pipe install.

Nelson

Quick Reply: Getting a Lightning!