Computer Chips & Tuners  

5.8/E4OD MAF EEC-IV computers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
robprime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.8/E4OD MAF EEC-IV computers

Hey guys,My '95 5.8 install into my '92 F-150 has sort of stalled out.I had originally thought to get rid of the E4OD and use a TKO manual but a rethink of the use I want to put this truck to (and my wife's 'input') has convinced me to rebuild the auto and keep it. They are much easier to tow with and traction control is better on bad roads. My wife is also insistent on A/C and Cruise, not that I mind A/C. My cruise control is in my right foot, tho.The motor has been freshly rebuilt, totally stock so far. Didn't even need boring. Stock heads redone, new balancer, pistons, pushrods, lifters, low pressure oil pump, everything just like Ford made it. Except for the cam. I want to use an healthy RV type cam because I will use this thing to occasionally tow a 26-28ft travel trailer for long distances over many terrain types, and I need the torque.My machinist guy called around to a number of his cam guys and they said that they wouldn't even touch the thing because it was SD and it would never run right, even with a 5.8 SD computer.So that has set me to searching for a MAF computer capable of running an E4OD, preferably an OBD-I so as to avoid all that emission junk. These things are comparatively rare and only a few suitable units have come to light but each has it's own problems.Can the current 5.0 SD ECU be reprogrammed to allow me to use a MAF sensor? Then I could keep most of my original wiring and sensors and the gearing would be right. The '95 5.8 F5TF-12A650-BYA (BIO0) will almost work but it is set up for 4.10 gears, which will undoubtedly mess with the cruise control. Besides, Cardone lists it as a 'Send in and Repair' item, which means I'd have to buy a junkyard one to send them. I believe that this is due to these being California emissions units.The firing order is correct tho and the fuel table shouldn't be off too much, I guess.The rare Lightning F8TF-12A650-NA (AKC0) is also set for 4.10 gears, tho the fuel table might be closer to what I need. Haven't been able to locate any of those as remans.The F5TF-12A650-JB (WAY1) is a 5.0 MAF with the right gearing, I believe, but the firing order is different and I don't know how that would effect the ingition or the injectors. I don't think there is a Knock sensor on the 5.8 either. The fuel curves would be seriously off, tho, I guess. This one is readily available from Cardone and I could probably get away with sending the old SD one in as a core.I'm assuming that none of these are SEFI. Is that correct? Maybe the difference in the firing order doesn't matter to a bank injector system. But I gather that the computer is heavily involved in the ignition timing.Is the the rearend gearing fixable by tuning?I'm new at this stuff and what I've outlined above is what I've learned over the course of a few weeks researching in my spare time. If my understanding is incorrect in some way, please feel free to correct me.Which of the three units would it be best to utilize? The original SD, the 5.8 (most expensive to me), or the 5.0 MAF? If I didn't have to run that tranny I guess I could use one of the Mustang SEFI units. Is it possible for you to mod these E4OD types to do sefi? That would be a nice touch but it's not critical.Any help/enlightenment/suggestions/etc will be appreciated,Rob

Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
robprime
Senior User
Hey guys,My '95 5.8 install into my '92 F-150 has sort of stalled out.I had originally thought to get rid of the E4OD and use a TKO manual but a rethink of the use I want to put this truck to (and my wife's 'input') has convinced me to rebuild the auto and keep it. They are much easier to tow with and traction control is better on bad roads. My wife is also insistent on A/C and Cruise, not that I mind A/C. My cruise control is in my right foot, tho.The motor has been freshly rebuilt, totally stock so far. Didn't even need boring. Stock heads redone, new balancer, pistons, pushrods, lifters, low pressure oil pump, everything just like Ford made it. Except for the cam. I want to use an healthy RV type cam because I will use this thing to occasionally tow a 26-28ft travel trailer for long distances over many terrain types, and I need the torque.My machinist guy called around to a number of his cam guys and they said that they wouldn't even touch the thing because it was SD and it would never run right, even with a 5.8 SD computer.So that has set me to searching for a MAF computer capable of running an E4OD, preferably an OBD-I so as to avoid all that emission junk. These things are comparatively rare and only a few suitable units have come to light but each has it's own problems.Can the current 5.0 SD ECU be reprogrammed to allow me to use a MAF sensor? Then I could keep most of my original wiring and sensors and the gearing would be right. The '95 5.8 F5TF-12A650-BYA (BIO0) will almost work but it is set up for 4.10 gears, which will undoubtedly mess with the cruise control. Besides, Cardone lists it as a 'Send in and Repair' item, which means I'd have to buy a junkyard one to send them. I believe that this is due to these being California emissions units.The firing order is correct tho and the fuel table shouldn't be off too much, I guess.The rare Lightning F8TF-12A650-NA (AKC0) is also set for 4.10 gears, tho the fuel table might be closer to what I need. Haven't been able to locate any of those as remans.The F5TF-12A650-JB (WAY1) is a 5.0 MAF with the right gearing, I believe, but the firing order is different and I don't know how that would effect the ingition or the injectors. I don't think there is a Knock sensor on the 5.8 either. The fuel curves would be seriously off, tho, I guess. This one is readily available from Cardone and I could probably get away with sending the old SD one in as a core.I'm assuming that none of these are SEFI. Is that correct? Maybe the difference in the firing order doesn't matter to a bank injector system. But I gather that the computer is heavily involved in the ignition timing.Is the the rearend gearing fixable by tuning?I'm new at this stuff and what I've outlined above is what I've learned over the course of a few weeks researching in my spare time. If my understanding is incorrect in some way, please feel free to correct me.Which of the three units would it be best to utilize? The original SD, the 5.8 (most expensive to me), or the 5.0 MAF? If I didn't have to run that tranny I guess I could use one of the Mustang SEFI units. Is it possible for you to mod these E4OD types to do sefi? That would be a nice touch but it's not critical.Any help/enlightenment/suggestions/etc will be appreciated,Rob

Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
robprime
Senior User
OK, I don't know what's up here. This post had nice, neat paragraphs and stuff when I wrote it. An edit and repost did not fix it. Nor did a second post of it.

Sorry, fellas. Hope it is decipherable,

Rob

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
OK. To answer your first question you can't add a MAF meter to an SD computer.. tuner or no tuner doesn't matter, it doesn't have the necessary hardware inside.

You can use any E4OD/truck MAF computer however, 5.0 or 5.8, that's the beauty of having a device that measures intake air in real time, the computer can adjust to the requirements. Firing order for all MAF computers is the 5.0HO/5.8 order, and all MAF computers use sequential injection. Which brings up the other requirement, you need to add the sequential injector harness as well as the MAF harness to your existing wiring.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:39 AM
robprime
Senior User
"Firing order for all MAF computers is the 5.0HO/5.8 order, and all MAF computers use sequential injection."

I didn't know that. In all my researches I never ran across a definitive statement to that effect. Thanks.

"Which brings up the other requirement, you need to add the sequential injector harness as well as the MAF harness to your existing wiring."

No sweat there. I own a soldering gun and shrink tubing. With the right ECU connector and pinout, and a good wiring diagram, I can do that. There's also a trick for doing away with the EGR, if I remember right. And probably something similar for dealing with the knock sensor. There's plenty of good info on the FordFuelInjection site.

Well, thanks, Paul. This is all very encouraging. It's actually starting to sound do-able.

I assume that the readily available 5.0 MAF/E4OD unit will have no problem adjusting itself to a mild 5.8 build such as this? It certainly doesn't appear to be any more demanding than some of the stouter 5.0 builds.

I appreciate it,

Rob

Old 11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on the cam the SD computer will do just fine. As long as the lobe center angle is 112 to 114 degrees the SD computer will work just fine. You said you're not going to go crazy just want an RV cam, and there are plenty that will work just fine. Call Ford and ask, they have a performance parts division that will help you, and recommend the right cam.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by robprime
No sweat there. I own a soldering gun and shrink tubing. With the right ECU connector and pinout, and a good wiring diagram, I can do that.
You'll also notice on the Ford Fuel injection site they show how the EEC connector comes apart. If you can get an intact donor wiring harness you can remove the necessary wires complete with connector pins and insert it in your harness.

There's also a trick for doing away with the EGR, if I remember right. And probably something similar for dealing with the knock sensor. There's plenty of good info on the FordFuelInjection site.
Yes these items can be defeated but the EGR system in particular increases TQ and improves milage so you may want to keep it.

I assume that the readily available 5.0 MAF/E4OD unit will have no problem adjusting itself to a mild 5.8 build such as this? It certainly doesn't appear to be any more demanding than some of the stouter 5.0 builds.
The Ford conversion kit I have ran my 5.8 no problem at all, it uses a 5.0 mustang computer.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
robprime
Senior User
"You said you're not going to go crazy just want an RV cam, and there are plenty that will work just fine."

Not with this truck. I save that sort of thing for my Ranger. :-)

Old 11-19-2008, 05:31 PM
robprime
Senior User
And I should make a correction here.

The 5.0/E4OD MAF EEC-IV part number, that's supposed to be set foe the 3.55 gears, is F5TF-12A650-GB (I'm not sure what the catch code is). As per Tom Clouds exhaustive pdf.

OOPS

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Rodney57
New User
The 5.0/E4OD MAF EEC-IV part number, that's supposed to be set foe the 3.55 gears, is F5TF-12A650-GB (I'm not sure what the catch code is).

I believe this is the VEX1 computer (cali with dual hego)

Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was able to acquire a WAY1 49 state computer from a 5.0L Bronco with E4OD along with most of the front end wiring harness. As for the wiring, I have the 95 EVTM and can scan the EFI section for you and email it. FWIW, in 95 the 5.0L with automatic was MAF SEFI, but the manual was still SD bank fired. Your multiway connector by your fuse box is where the EFI connects and the (probably) 2 smaller ones one round, one roughly square, are for the transmission. If you can score an engine harness, then the chassis portion shouldn't be too hard to build. I am doing an MAF SEFI conversion on a 1986 460, so yours would be a piece of cake.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 AM
PaulDactyl
New User
5.8 maf ecu care about the transmission?

im in the midst of planning a maf swap for my 96 f350 4x4 5.8, manual. my doner is a 96 f150 4x4 5.8, auto. my ? is will i have any problems with the ecu being, that its from an auto an mines a manual?

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It will be looking for the E4OD and will probably set a code or codes. The other issue you will probably have, the 1996 F-350 is probably an EEC-IV and OBD-I system as any over 8500 GVWR vehicles were exempt from both the OBD-II requirement and air bags. The F-150 will be EEC-V and OBD-II meaning both the dash and front harnesses are different.

That would be the real problem I see. As far as making the EEC-V auto unit ignore the transmission difference, either a piggy back tuner (TwEECer doesn't seem to like the EEC-V units) Quarterhorse and some others. Or a way to direct flash the EEC-V box of which there are a number of options. The EEC-V can be direct flashed as that was one of the requirements in the OBD-II system, so a new computer would not be needed for updates.

Since my post in this thread almost 6 years ago, I have gone with an EEC-V for my MAF converted 460 as my sig shows.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Yes, but the fact that f150 is OBD2 and your F350 isn't means the PCM won't even connect to the F350 wiring harness so the auto trans issues are irrelevant. With a manual trans the best PCM to use is the Mustang A9L, you still need wiring for the MAF meter and sequential injection but you can source that from any MAF truck.