Tire recomendation please

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Goatboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, newbie here.
I need to replace the stock tires (g-year p265/70/17)on my 99 f-150 4x4. Does anybody has any feedback on Kelly's Wild Country APP's?
I got a price of 112 per (mounting & balancing included) vs 160 per for the g-year rt/s's. I'm looking for a good, all-around mainly highway/light off-road use tire that's good in the rain. Are the prices I got decent? or do I need to keep shopping?

Thanks,
Jamie
'99 F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab

Old 06-24-2002, 02:29 AM
hoss
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jun-02 AT 03:30 AM (EST)]Welcome to the club. In my own opinion and experiences, BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's are a very good all-around tire. Not so much in deep mud, but they have excellent highway manners, are very quiet, and have long life under proper inflation. They are also very reasonably priced. I do a lot of freeway driving, or else I'd have BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:10 AM
SplashMan
Senior User

I'd go with the RTs's. My father has a set of these on his Explorer and he lives in out in the contry in Iowa. He says they are great in the snow and rain and he never had a problem digging through the snow this winter. His roads tend to get real muddy after a little rain and he says the new tires grip great. Hope that helps a little.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:07 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought 4 Wild Country Radial APT for my 2000 F 150. I am very happy with them. They have the dual channel water flow tread pattern. Wet weather driving is SIGNIFICANTLY better than OEM Goodyears (which were good tires).
Brian A

Old 06-29-2002, 01:01 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

i just got some bfgoodrich all terrain ko's, 32x11.5's, they are the best looking all terrain tire you will find. it is also the best offroad all terrain tire you can find. i even went to firestone because people told me the dueler a/t was better offroad and better looking.. ha!!! the guy even told me that the dueler a/t wasnt a very good offroad tire, and even admitted he liked the bfg's better. .. the bfg allterrain ko's have deep tread and wear like iron. and speaking of mud i have 2 wheel drive and i havent gotten stuck yet. the bfg's in my opinion clear mud very well for an allterrain tire, you just have to clean it on pavement several times during wheeling, i would bet my truck that you would be happier with the bfg allterrain than any other type of all terrain tire.

Old 06-29-2002, 03:50 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

okay i just fishtailed into a ditch earlier today , i mean this road was pure mud, looks like the allterrains arent very good in mud haha but they did damn good at least going down the road because the tow truck got stuck on the road, 125 bucks to pull me out of that ditch, but this was a deep as hell ditch

Old 07-06-2002, 08:07 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

I worked at a dealership and got to drive many of the same truck, but, with different tires and tread on them. The BFG K/O tires rule on black/slick ice. Most of the time, shifting it into 4x4 was not even needed.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Ortho
New User

Hello!

Since you mentioned you do some light off-roading, you should consider the GY Wrangler AT/S.

I have them on my Explorer, though I somewhat regret the choice. The shop talked me into them because the RT/Ss were back-ordered (this happened during the height of the Firestone recall). However, I'm not at all interested in off-roading, so the RT/Ss would have been a better choice for me.

I believe the AT/S is a good tire. Traction is great in rain and in our Minnesota winters. The reason for my own buyer's remorse is that the AT/S has a more aggressive tread and is therefore quite a bit noisier on the highway -- too much so for me.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2002, 01:53 AM
bigredford04
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jul-02 AT 02:57 AM (EST)]>and speaking of mud i have 2 wheel drive and i havent gotten
>stuck yet.

If you havent gotten stuck, you're not trying hard enough.

Texas A&M Off-Road
`95 F150 4x4 5.0
33" BFG KMs

Old 07-07-2002, 01:59 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

i guess you didnt see the post under that where i said i had to pay a wrecker 125 bucks to pull me out.

Old 07-07-2002, 08:34 PM
bigredford04
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jul-02 AT 09:35 PM (EST)]Shouldnt have wasted the $$ on gay tires and you mightve been able to afford a 4x4...ever think of that???

Also, i'm sure you were driving like a retard and its not the tires fault you got stuck.

Texas A&M Off-Road
`95 F150 4x4 5.0
33" BFG KMs

Old 07-07-2002, 09:50 PM
bigFAWKINranger

the guy even told
>me that the dueler a/t wasnt a very good offroad tire, and
>even admitted he liked the bfg's better. .. the bfg
>all terrain ko's have deep tread and wear like iron. and
>speaking of mud i have 2 wheel drive and i havent gotten
>stuck yet.
the bfg's in my opinion clear mud very well for
>an all terrain tire, you just have to clean it on pavement
>several times during wheeling, i would bet my truck that you
>would be happier with the bfg allterrain than any other type
>of all terrain tire.

geeze.... where to start?... well the BFGs are better than the dueler ATs..you got that much right at least... where you missed was that BFG ATs have deep tread... WRONG... and they don't clear mud well for any type of tire... they absolutely suck *** off road... they were my first off road tire when i was in HS... so i know from horrible horrible experience. but for pavement pounders i admit they would be my choice of rubber.

as for the wheeling that you mentioned... LMAO... you don't wheel son... don't insult those of us who do... yup i'm a newbie to the board and a vet to the game.... bring it y'all...

Old 07-08-2002, 12:00 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

>okay i just fishtailed into a ditch earlier today , i mean
>this road was pure mud, looks like the allterrains arent
>very good in mud haha but they did damn good at least going
>down the road because the tow truck got stuck on the road,
>125 bucks to pull me out of that ditch, but this was a deep
>as hell ditch

hey buddy chill out in the above post did i not contradict everything i said in the previous post, i stated above that bfg do suck in mud, and if you were smart enough to read it you would understand that because i had a wrecker pulling me out was because i have a 2wd truck with all terrains, i never said i mud all the time so quit crying, you are taking offense over something stupid. one guy said "quit wasting your money on gay tires and buy a 4 wheel drive truck" ive never seen a 4 wheel drive truck that costs 500 dollars. "you must have been driving like a retard" a retard? so i guess your saying youve never been pulled out before. there are plenty of people on this site who could talk ***** because they could run over your trucks with their trucks. i agree that bfg allterrain ko's arent good in mud but they are better than other allterrains in mud and if you want to argue about that give soemthing to base it on, if you want to go through mud go for bfg mudterrains or boggers or whatever but if your like me and are a "pavement pounder" bfg a/t are a great tire.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:20 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Jul-02 AT 01:25 AM (EST)]>as for the wheeling that you mentioned... LMAO... you don't
>wheel son... don't insult those of us who do... yup i'm a
>newbie to the board and a vet to the game.... bring it
>y'all...

son? i would hate to be your son sounds like wheeling is the only word in your vocabulary. maybe i consider wheeling in my 2wd going down a dirt road. im glad you are big in bad in your ranger or whatever . i hate to have fights on a message thing so chill out buddy, im not looking for a fight about whos truck can offroad better, im sure yours can by far, so shutup about it. someone back me up here

Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

ok im mad now f*** off, i tried to be nice and mature about it but i hate when people are stupid and think they are bad a's. yall act like i am trying to go offroading, i was just having fun and maybe if i didnt have those all terrains and had boggers and a 4 wheel drive i wouldnt have gone off into a ditch. im a ##### but it happens, wow you have a big truck more power to you just dont let me meet you in a bar

Quick Reply: Tire recomendation please