1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

64 to 75 frame swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking 64 to 75 frame swap

Hi all i just wanted to share what i have experienced thus far. I first must say that i think this website is great and i appreciate all your posts and sharing and with that being said i hope i can help out by share what i am doing for a project.

So approximately 3 to 4 weeks back i picked up a very solid 64 f100 with a high performance 460 and C6 combo. I have since changed the igintion to electronic and thru the holley carb in the trash as that where i feel they belong(IMHO) and installed a edelbrock 750 with electric choke.

So my next things I wanted to do was power disc conversion, power steering, and possible lowering. So after much reading thanks to this website and much thinking i decided to do a frame swap to keep my truck all ford and just do a great restomod so to speak. It just so happens i can accross a 75 F150 about 3 hours away that had a factory 460 C6 combo so the swap would be so easy in my opinion which is great.

So i picked the 75 up on saturday for $900 plus fuel for my buddys hotshot truck and it is now Tuesday and we have the body off the frame. Actually had 4 guys out there helping must say this is great male bonding time haha.

Now my next door neighbour has a 1980 F150 with a 350 Chev and he is was wanting the 460 out of the 75 for making his truck all ford again as his dad was the one who put the 350 in. So he now gets an awesome project to build and gets to spend time with his son doing a high performance engine rebuild.

What I love the most is i get Power Disc brake, Power steering and it will now be easier to lower that the 64 and it already has a 460 setup in the 75 frame it couldn't have worked out any better.

Well a little long winded but just wanted to share and don't worry i will be hitting you guys up for tips on the finer details of the frame swap.

Thanks Darcy

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Sweet!

John

Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Hey John when you did your frame swap did you replace the body mount rubbers and if so where did you get them?

Darcy

Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Darcy: Sounds like you have a great project going on there!

I recommend the following:
KEEP THE 3 piece motor mounts for the 460 form the '75! You will need them for your 460. These mounts are unique to the 460, and are the only mounts that work properly for the '65 - '79 truck frames. It will help a lot, because they line the engine and transmission up correctly in the frame. Also, they won't fit the 1980 and later trucks, so you don't have to feel bad about keeping them from the 460 you are selling to your neighbor.

I would like to add a word of caution:
The '64 body will not mate to the '75 frame without some serious modification.
Although the '64 looks like a '65, the body is radically different in the steering, body mounts, and underbody shape. The '64 frame is not like the '65 and later frames.

I highly recommend you keep great notes and lots of technical pictures; they will greatly assist you in the future!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Hey thanks Banjopicker for the info. I haven't done any work like this for a long time so i have been having a great time so far.

I have the 75 stripped and I am ready to send it out to get sandblasted and the prime and paint the frame.

I have done some measuring and lots of reading on here which is actually why I am attempting the frame swap it just makes more sense than doing a toyota steering box and power disc upgrade as well. So with that being said I will document and take lots of pics to help others who will attept the same in the future. Also I don't believe that this is my last one so it will be a great learning experience. My next one will be a 53 to 56 F100 but that is a few years away.

Take care.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would check with he RCMP before i do a swap of a frame. Most govermental agencies are beginning to frown on the swapping of frames as it contains the vin of a different truck.

Plus when you want to sell it it may not be able to be titled in another privence or country.

Garbz

Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by garbz2
I would check with he RCMP before i do a swap of a frame. Most govermental agencies are beginning to frown on the swapping of frames as it contains the vin of a different truck.

Plus when you want to sell it it may not be able to be titled in another privence or country.

Garbz

So I sent out some emails and basically the only agency that it concerns is the motor vehicles division, they actaully sent me some info on what the protocol is and in fact because it is "custom" it is all fairly straight foward.

The only thing you have to watch is to make sure that either vehicle has never been deemed salvage or parts only or off road use only because it is considered just that. As long as the vehicle was on the road and registered then it is alright here. You have to remember I live in Alberta, they don't have as many crazy rules here, which is what I love!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:22 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Briefly! Couple of issue areas with this deal. The steering column on 61-64 is not centered on the instrument cluster. Later model floor pans do not have the step at the door. Take a look at using the floor pan from the 75 in the 64. If you get through all this, centering the 75 steering column in the 64 dash should not be to difficult. Moving floor pans on 65-79 is fairly simple and a lot easier than replacing rotten cab mounts, cheaper too. IMHO!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Hi All just wanted to show some updated pics as the rear roll pan/skin has turned out just like I was expecting and I am excited to share it.

20090318_13 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Caddy Taillights

20090318_11 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20090318_10 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20090318_9 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy!

D

Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks for the off site loading and not gumming up the forums with the photos. Damn pages are not wanting to load now.

John

Old 03-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt you are gonna have any problems registering it, or keeping it in Alberta at all, no one even comes outside at the registration places to see if you are registering a 57 Volkswagen as a Mack truck. As long as the original truck you are using the VIN from is from here. If you have to get an out of province inspection (scam) you are opening a whole new can of worms.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Well I am not worried at all, and that is one of the reasons I love living in Alberta! Both trucks are Alberta trucks and I have the old registration from the 75 which I will keep on hand if any issues arise but I don't foresee that.

BTW Nice Merc you have there.Rare truck IMHO. Nice to see another Albertan out there!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Updated photos

Front clip sandblasted and primed and undercoated.

Front clip Sandblasted

Cab sandblasted primed underneath and undercoated and permanently back on frame with new cab mounting bushing! Now I am getting excited as we are making progress.

Under cab

Fire wall

Can't wait to hear these babys!

Okay so thats it for now I will be painting the inner fenders and installing the front clip this weekend and I will be priming the cab inside and out then I can start rewiring as I bought a new EZ wire harness and the I can fire her up again. The box is the only item I have left to sandblast and I plan on starting on body filler by the end of the month and hope to be painting her by June sometime.

Enjoy D

Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro-Street/StateTK
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dman2008

Man the Truck sure Looks very Good !

The Pictures are very Cool, please keep them coming ! GOOD job !

Wally Womack

Last edited by Pro-Street/StateTK; 04-18-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: watching my Ps and Qs
Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 AM
drof46
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh heck ya, love the pics. Talked with my powder coater yesterday about soda blasting and powder coating the inner fenders and underside of the bed and cab. You got me all excited about my project. You hooked your cherry picker up different than I had used mine in the past. Care it give some more info and how it worked. I ran mine above the outside of the donar cab and ran a strap throught the cab. How did you handle the balance issue?

One other question. How are you going to paint all the surfaces with it still in one piece? Seems like getting to the rad support is going to be tricky.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 64 to 75 frame swap