Sponsored by: DP Tuner

38 degrees and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
toddncandy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38 degrees and wont start

my 2000 f-250 7.3 will turn over but wont start when its cold but when the temp warms up in a few hous it will start fine. when attemting to sart it, it turns over fine but also here a clicking sound, almost the the same as a dead battery. if i plug it in at night it starts fine in the morning. any suggestions. thanks, todd

Old 11-09-2008, 08:55 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you hear a clicking sound that is a dead give away that your batteries are gonzo. Your IDM needs to see 10.5 volts to fire the injectors. When the truck is warm the oil is more "fluid" and it cranks easier so you don't have as much of a voltage drop.

Here are a couple of links that may be of help to you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...y-q-and-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...pr-system.html

When it won't start have you tried to jump it?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 AM
toddncandy
New User
thanks, i will sart with the bateries

Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Jim has it covered.

Battery shot
GPR shot
Gp's Shot or some of the 8.

Mine will put up a fuss at 40/50 out.Unless i plug in. have 3 or 4 dead GP's. They On the way UPS.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You might also want to put in a LED light that tells you when your glow plugs are energized. Great mod, which allows you to know when the GP's have cycled off and then startup is very easy. The dash indicator "Wait to Start" does not go off/on with the glow plugs.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM
toddncandy
New User
cleaned the batteries and swapped them around, starts fine now. thanks

Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 AM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
You might also want to put in a LED light that tells you when your glow plugs are energized. Great mod, which allows you to know when the GP's have cycled off and then startup is very easy. The dash indicator "Wait to Start" does not go off/on with the glow plugs.
I've been trying to search for this mod, is this the one?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-your-gpr.html

Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ngng
I've been trying to search for this mod, is this the one?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-your-gpr.html
I have not looked at the link. Why do you want to look at a LED that BTW is wired in the GP activation circuit IOT see when the GPs are on? If you are concerned about your batteries, know the GPs can be on for about 2 minutes regardless of what the WTS light does. You are in total control of this with the ignition switch. Cycle it to WTS, figure about a minute or so then recycle and start. I think the big problem folks have is waiting too long. The fuel pump runs for about 20 seconds, then quits. If your restrictors aren't holding pressure, then you need to make sure to recycle the key and hit start as soon as the WTS light goes out and before the fuel pump quits. I have removed my restrictors and this has always worked for me. No gadgets or lights. (in the summer, none of this is an issue)

IOWs, there is no magic here, you can shut off the GPs with the key at will and crank when you feel like it. The only valid point is Dan's where he has installed a momentary switch to increase GP and GPR longevity by taking full control of activation time. Once we start our trucks, the GPs stay activated through the cycle. His does not unless he holds the switch.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 AM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
I have not looked at the link. Why do you want to look at a LED that BTW is wired in the GP activation circuit IOT see when the GPs are on? If you are concerned about your batteries, know the GPs can be on for about 2 minutes regardless of what the WTS light does. You are in total control of this with the ignition switch. Cycle it to WTS, figure about a minute or so then recycle and start. I think the big problem folks have is waiting too long. The fuel pump runs for about 20 seconds, then quits. If your restrictors aren't holding pressure, then you need to make sure to recycle the key and hit start as soon as the WTS light goes out and before the fuel pump quits. I have removed my restrictors and this has always worked for me. No gadgets or lights. (in the summer, none of this is an issue)

IOWs, there is no magic here, you can shut off the GPs with the key at will and crank when you feel like it. The only valid point is Dan's where he has installed a momentary switch to increase GP and GPR longevity by taking full control of activation time. Once we start our trucks, the GPs stay activated through the cycle. His does not unless he holds the switch.
i want a LED because I'm not the only person who drives my truck

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Gotcha. Hadn't thought of that. It is really a simple mod. Explaining what is going on is also about so simple, a caveman could do it. There is no mystery on the WTS system.