Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 oil leak from Head Gasket?

I am looking at buying a 2003 7.3L.

51,000 miles.

It has a leak coming from what looks like the head gasket. The leak is coming from the back of the engine. I crawled under the truck and spotted what looks to be a small leak, the leak looks like it starts at the head gasket and flows down. The Valve covers look clean so I am sure the leak is not coming from there. The amount that leaks is not noticable to have to add oil between oil changes. It is not leaking enough to spott it where it is always parked.

Do these engines have problems with the head gaskets?

How much of leak is too much of a leak?

How often do they leak?

How much does a head gasket cost to replace?

Thanks,

KB

Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No they do not, that mileage is really low. How much are they asking? Give us more info on the truck. Like where it is if we can convince you it's the head gasket?.....LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Well he wants $20,000. Lifted 6 inches. 35" tires 20" rims. Nav system. w/ 10 sub woofer. tinted windows, toneau cover, spray on bedliner. Truck is in good shape other wise. One dime size dent in back. also a brush guard and piaa lights.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's some incredibly low mileage. A cracked block seems more common than a head gasket issue from what I've seen.

Crawl up on top of the motor with a flashlight and inspect the valley (flat area on top of the engine between the heads). Most leaks are from o-rings and tend to pool oil (or fuel) in the valley, then drain down the back side of the motor. See if you can find your leak up there.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Bowie
Elder User
I am going to look on top now. What happens if the top of the engine is clean?
The weird part is from where you can see from underneath the vehicle, mainly on the sides of the engine. You can see where the head attaches to the block. The drip lines start below the head. So if it is leaking from the top of the engine then how is it not oilly all the way to the top of the engine?

How often do they have cracked blocks?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Cracked blocks aren't very common, but it does happen. I'll guess with that kind of lift and tires, he's got some kind of chip or tuner in the truck. Does the truck have any gauges in it?

Let us know what you find on top of the motor, and we can go from there.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bowie
Not often, and with all of the time I have been reading here, really a lot longer than my join date I think I've read about 2 and the most recent I do not think has ever been confirmed as a leak. Have not seen a post about it in a couple of months. I think I would pay 20k for it, especially if the price of fuel continues to fall and it is even half as reliable as mine has been. That's nearly new to me. Does it have all of the bells and whistles available in 03?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no oil that flows through the headgasket, only combustion gasses and water. So if it looks like oil, it has to be leaking from above there. Is the leak at the rear of the engine or on the sides?

I wouldnt worry about it, as its probably easy to fix, i wanna see that truck!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Bowie
Elder User
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR title="Post 6746014" vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125 itxtvisited="1">F350-6</TD><TD class=alt2 itxtvisited="1">Cracked blocks aren't very common, but it does happen. I'll guess with that kind of lift and tires, he's got some kind of chip or tuner in the truck. Does the truck have any gauges in it?

Let us know what you find on top of the motor, and we can go from there.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well after looking at it tonight I really cant pinpoint where the leak is coming from. There is some on the top of the engine but most if it almost looked dry. I am going to take it to a shop this week and see what the shop says. I feel a little better from everyone on here saying no head gasket. 6" lift from Les Schwab Brand: Superlift (I think) it is a suspension lift the truck has no blocks. It also has dual stering stabilizers. He also has a Banks 6 gun tuner.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR title="Post 6746031" vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125 itxtvisited="1">Markadeck</TD><TD class=alt2 itxtvisited="1">Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset" itxtvisited="1">Originally Posted by Bowie

Not often, and with all of the time I have been reading here, really a lot longer than my join date I think I've read about 2 and the most recent I do not think has ever been confirmed as a leak. Have not seen a post about it in a couple of months. I think I would pay 20k for it, especially if the price of fuel continues to fall and it is even half as reliable as mine has been. That's nearly new to me. Does it have all of the bells and whistles available in 03?

Not sure what all the bells and whistles were in 03? Do you know where I could find them. It is a Lariat, the one thing I wish it had was the back up sensors.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR title="Post 6746052" vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125 itxtvisited="1">strokin_it7.3</TD><TD class=alt2 itxtvisited="1">There is no oil that flows through the headgasket, only combustion gasses and water. So if it looks like oil, it has to be leaking from above there. Is the leak at the rear of the engine or on the sides?

I wouldnt worry about it, as its probably easy to fix, i wanna see that truck!

Well the main part of theleak is from the rear, it has creeped around the sides a little. I just cannot pinpoint where the leak is coming from some from up top. I watched Bill Hewitts' video on leaks for the 7.3. And from your comment about the headgasket that is comforting. I am going to take it to a diesel mechanic shop just to have them fix the problem. The owner said he would pay for it. Belive me once I have the truck picts will be all over the this site. I have only been wanting a truck for my whole life. 32 years