1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Air in high presure oil system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air in high presure oil system?

When changing the IPR, could enough air get trapped in the oil system and not allow an engine to start? If so, what would be the best way to bleed the high presure oil system?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TransplantX
When changing the IPR, could enough air get trapped in the oil system and not allow an engine to start? If so, what would be the best way to bleed the high presure oil system?

Thanks in advance
It should take care of itself ,,,

Did you re fill the resevoir ?..

Make sure its plugged in well, & not shorting ..

Did you remove the fuel bowl to install it ?...

If so ,make sure all the wires are plugged in ...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you pulled the IPR it drained the reservoir. Have you refilled it? You can fill it through the plug on top or if you can't get the plug out just remove the oil pressure sender and fill it that way It'll take quite a bit of cranking to get the rails filled with oil so it will start. If you're not careful you can burn up the starter so take it easy, crank for a bit and then give the starter time to cool down. Depending on the condition of the pump you may have to try a dozen times or so. You might want to put a charger on the battery until it starts. Even after it starts it will be hard starting for a while until you take it out and drive it for 15-20 miles to purge all of the air out.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
When I did mine ,it started making smoke right away ,

,hadn't made any for 2 friggen weeks

Without filling the res ...

Must have a good LPOP...

Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Sorry guys, had to go pick up the wifey. okay, I have actually had the IPR out three times, first was for o-rings, second was to actually try to service it, and last was to replace it. refilled each time. There reason i ask about trapped air is because the truck is not on a level driveway, so the front of the truck is actually higher then the back. my thoughts are that maybe enough air has gotten into the system and gradually work to the front of the rail which is also the highest point. If there was air trapped at that point and not able to be purged out buy normal cranking then maybe it's not allowing enough presure to be built to fire the the injectors. Also, could air cause any issues with the ICP?
What to y'all think.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always remove 1 or 2 of the oil rail plugs or ICP and pour oil directly into the rails.

I don't think an air bubble near the ICP would cause a problem. I think that if it was air bound and not getting a reading it would just revert to the default like just like it does if you unplug it.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Actually had a guy (that was a ford diesel tech) come by the house with a scanner, everything looked good except the IPR. He said it could be stuck or possibly something in the upper harness. I figured it had to be the IPR since that was the only think I have really messed with since replacing the dang water pump.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlueMule
I don't think an air bubble near the ICP would cause a problem. I think that if it was air bound and not getting a reading it would just revert to the default like just like it does if you unplug it.
I didn't think it would, but it was just a thought. I think the ICP is working because it will through a code when I unplug it.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:50 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
[quote=Action4478;6738885]It should take care of itself ,,,

Did you re fill the resevoir ?.. Yes

Make sure its plugged in well, & not shorting .. Yes, No looks like i may be searching for a a short or something in the upper harness

Did you remove the fuel bowl to install it ?... Yes

If so ,make sure all the wires are plugged in Yes

Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
I didn't think it would, but it was just a thought. I think the ICP is working because it will through a code when I unplug it.
If it throws a code , means the PCM is working ,,the ICP may be reporting the wrong info...making the PCM guess at what is expected ...

Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
TransplantX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Action4478
If it throws a code , means the PCM is working ,,the ICP may be reporting the wrong info...making the PCM guess at what is expected ...
I understand the the first part but I dont quite catch what you're saying about the PCM guessing what is expected. If the ICP was bad, wouldnt a scanner show it?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
I understand the the first part but I dont quite catch what you're saying about the PCM guessing what is expected. If the ICP was bad, wouldnt a scanner show it?
With The ICP unplugged ,the truck will run,, The PCM makes decisions about what the ICP actually is ,based on other paramaters ...IIRC ,it sets ICP to 724 ,and commands the IPR % to what ever it takes to maintain 724...

The Scanner will not say ICP good or bad ,,You have to watch ICP & IPR DC% while running warm and cold to determine if the system is working as it should ...

The scanner will code a 1211 or 1212 if there is an unexpected level of ICP seen by the PCM..

If it runs better with the ICP disconnected ,,the ICP sensor itself may be bad ....