Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

part found in tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
electricjam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
part found in tranny

i have a 95 ford explorer limited ed, automatic 4x4

the problem i had was the truck would not shift unless forced out of the 1st gear, i was told that the first thing i should do is to change the transmission fluid, so upon doing this i have found a part in the bottom of the pan, its a rectangle piece with a bored hole in the bottom, then tapers off and kinda looks like a boat paddle with a slot in the middle, does anyone know what this is a part of so i dont get nailed from a tranny shop for a rebuild if its not needed?

thanks for your time

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
It sounds like it is the band strut that goes on the side with the adjustment screw, the only way it has ended up in the pan is if the band adjustment screw has backed all the way off, or the band has broke. I will bet that the band is broke, I see broke bands in explorers all the time in my tranny shop. I have one right now on my table waiting for me on Monday morning to rebuild because of a broke band.

The only way to fix it is to remove it from the truck and tear it down and rebuild it. Expect to replace other parts inside this unit due to wear. Expect a rebuild kit, filter, both bands, both servos, od sprag, od drum washer, maybe a planetry( or two), epc solenoid, converter, and some where between 1500 and 2000 bucks. sorry

Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM
electricjam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well you were right, is was a broken band 2nd failure, but i did get a really good deal on the rebuild 1000 bucks well i think thats a good rebuild thanks for you help and info