1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I broke it.... Just "venting"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I broke it.... Just "venting"

Well, I hate when that happens.... I'm bummed.

I HAD all good window glass till yesterday. I was finished for the day and decided that if I didn't set the door down, it might fall over and domino into all my sheet metal... (hood, rear fenders, front fenders, cab, etc.) SOOOOOO
I figured I would lay it down sitting on the wood bench I have in the middle of the work area. BUT as I went to rest it on the edge of the bench, the wing vent window handle was the first contact point....

CRACK.... there goes my nice original side vent window. ARRRGHHHH
It's only $22 bucks at MidFifty... BUT

Oh well, there are WORSE things in life.
My oldest son asked me the other day who I was going to let drive Mater when I get it on the road, seeing as all 4 of my kids who have drivers licenses have all TOTALED a vehicle... The GOOD news is that in four wrecks, God is good, and no one was hurt.
The other day I took one of my non-drivers age kids up to Nashville for a Doctor's appointment and on the way home I threw the serpentine belt. One of the idlers is toast. The GOOD news was that it happened about 15 minutes from my house, rather than an hour away when I was in Nashville.
In ALL things give thanks.
SO, I wondered why not be thankful that the car got me home with NO breakdowns... but if that had happened, I wouldn't have even thought about it, and therefor not have been thankful.
I AM thankful that I didn't break down on the WAY to Nashville, rather I was close to my house on the way home. Now if I could just afford a trailer.... BUT then my 16 year old daughter wouldn't have learned how to drive (steer) a towed vehicle. She only drove over the tow strap and broke it once.....

Drive safe, and keep the wheels on the ground.
Thankfully,
Steve

Old 10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Steve, don't let your kids drive it!! I have three boys, all of whom are good drivers, and decent mechanics, and all learned to drive on stick-shifts. I let one drive my truck and the lack of power steering was a puzzle to him. He hit a landscape timber leaving the driveway, just enough to bend my cherry, original, not-reproduced-by-anyone '52 front bumper... Much later, I let my youngest drive it after the resto was "done", and on a fresh tranny build. First time driving a column shifter. He went from 1st "halfway" into reverse, "Ooops, I missed the gate!"... I love 'em, but now I just give them rides.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No kids...but all my little cousins are begging me to let them drive mine when they get their licenses.

Umm...what do you say to them?

I have been driving standards since 1980 (I was 14) and still have problems shifting mine sometimes (it needs a rebuild).

Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 PM
homade
Posting Guru
How they gonna learn to love this old iron if they never get the chance to experience the feeling of crusing around in something 3 times older than they are. My 16 year old grandaughter loves to drive my truck, of course the way she puts it's gonna be hers someday anyway so why not learn all she can about it now, gotta love that girl, Garry

Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I leave both my 17 year old and 15 year old sons drive my trucks, neither of them have their driver's license. They just drive them around the farm and up in down the road in front of my house. I live at the end of a long dead end road out in the country, no one else lives on the road. I will admit it's a little unnerving seeing them drive off down the cow lane in one of the old trucks but I figure, like homade, how else are they going to get the bug. The trucks are only metal and both kids drive my in-laws farm implements which are bigger and a lot more expensive than my old trucks. They are both conscious drivers and I am fairly sure they'll be careful. If the boys showed signs of recklessness I wouldn't let them touch my trucks.

I have the trucks to enjoy, not just to look at. Have fun with the kids and the trucks.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I take them all for rides anytime I am around them. Can't keep them out of the old truck! (laughing). None of them will be old enough to drive for a while, so we will see. The youngest is around 3.

I do have one cousin's daughter who has her learners permit now. She does fine with an automatic. She is just now starting to learn to drive her dads (cheby) truck with a standard. I think I will wait a couple of months before I let her drive the 56. Shhh!

They do not live around here..so it will be quite a while before I see them again anyway.

None of us (myself included) grew up around farm equipment or anything. We only learn to drive as we get old enough to do so legally on the streets.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Heck, my two great grandaughters, 21 months and 6 years even enjoy taking a ride with pa-paw because they think everyone is waving at them, they don't know that everyone waves at old trucks, ha. ha.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't get anyone to drive mine, it's too tall and big for most (drivers)!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Originally Posted by UTfball68
...my girlfriend just had to go and tell everyone in her speed dial, including my parents how much of an azz I was and that she does know a thing or two, and now that she was going to be late for her nail appointment. Needless to say, she still has a $#!t eating grin on her face. And I learned to never blow off a woman with even an ounce of wrenching skills.
Don't you just hate that?

On the other hand my fiance told me her car was acting up. She was 1500 miles away from me so I'm trying to figure this all out over the phone. She is getting angry with me like it is somehow my fault and all. I wind up telling the people at the repair shop how to fix the car LOL. She doesn't get mad anymore and every time her car goes to the shop and they tell her she needs something she tells them to hang on and she calls me . Even the repair shop thinks it is funny.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Sounds good and extra money is always a bonus especially nowadays

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
My step grandson is almost 18 and has been driving on a limited basis for about a year now. My son and I both have '53s were fixing up, but given our pace, I don't think we have to worry about anybody driving for some time. The old trucks don't seem to appeal to the boy but he did tell my son that he was wanting to drive my F-350 crew cab dually diesel. My son explained to him that it might possibly happen after I die, if he acquires it and that depended on a lot of other conditions. Roughly something like a snowball's chance.

Later folks...