Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F150 Saginaw upgrade with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
94 F150 Saginaw upgrade with pics

My 94 f150 has had the standard Ford power steering pump moan since I got it 6 months ago. The other day while investigating a noise in the front end I was turning the steering wheel with the engine off and the ps pump started barfing fluid everywhere. So I decided to do the saginaw pump upgrade.

With this swap I used a saginaw pump and the mounting bracket from a 94 E250 Clubwagon van. I took some pics, hopefully they can help anyone else looking to do the same swap. I'm not sure how relevant this is to other years.

As you can see in the first pic, the mounting brackets are the same in the way that they are shaped and mount to the motor. The difference is evident in the second pic where you can see the difference in the depth on the bracket. The saginaw bracket isn't as thick. I think this is why you can't use the truck bracket if you use a used pump. The third pump shows the back of the pumps. The pressure hose on the truck pump actually comes out of the side of the truck pump whereas it comes out of the back of the saginaw. The pulleys seem to be identical between the two pumps. I wanted to use my truck pulley because it was nicer but my pulley-puller couldn't get it off, so I just wire wheeled the van pulley and reused it.

Here are a couple of pressure hoses. The top is the original truck hose and the bottom is a brand new replacement pressure hose from the 94 E250. I bought the van hose thinking that it would fit but it does not. The fittings work but the bends are all wrong. I wanted to use the 78 f250 4x4 hose as others have but my parts store said that their supplier didn't have a single one anywhere in Canada. Doh! Instead, I reused the truck hose.

This is a top view looking down at the steering box. The hose on the left is the pressure hose.

The pressure hose contorts a bit and was a little difficult to work into place but did fit without too much effort. One note, while the hose fitting from the truck hose does thread into the saginaw housing, it didn't seat very well due to the hose ends being longer on the van hose than on the truck. Basically the fitting threaded in tight but the hose still had some play and I worried it would leak. This was solved by swapping the pump fitting from the truck pump into the saginaw pump. It was a direct swap and now the hose is snug after it has been threaded in.

This is a shot from above with the saginaw pump in place. I ended up reusing the return line that was on the truck. Initially I intended to replace it with a new one but the original appears to be half metal /half rubber and for some reason I don't understand is very long. It ended up being much easier to simply leave the original return line in place and it worked fine. The line wouldn't reach until I undid and readjusted a small bracket holding it further down. You can also see the a/c line that runs above the cap on the pump. There was basically no clearance to remove the cap so I carefully pulled it up and back out of the way so that the cap could be removed.

Finally this is just a shot of the pump from the back after everything was done. The nut on the bottom left of the pump is just a stud with a nut that held a wiring loom bracket on the E250. Obviously not used here.

The hardest part of the entire task was figuring out how route the pressure hose and which one to use. I can't believe how quiet this pump is. My old one sounded like a birthing moose. This one seems like it is stronger too. Turning the wheel back and forth while stationary seems much easier, and a lot quieter.

Hope this was helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-19-2008, 04:58 AM
metmag52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post--I have been waiting to do that swap on my 95 --Looks like even I could figure that out !! The drive in at Dunkin Donuts makes me shut off my truck before I order !!!
Thanks Todd !!
Gary

Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
The return line is really long because it also acts as a cooler.

The rubber hose on it can deteriorate and plug up valves in steering gear so it would be a good idea to replace it before long and while your thinking about it.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
I couldn't find a seam where the rubber portion could be removed independant of the metal portion. Is it all one piece?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
The rubber and metal is one assembly.

I replaced entire unit on one of my rigs and on another one, I cut the metal tube just before the rubber hose, put a small flair on the metal tube and then attached a new rubber hose and hose clamp.

I had a particle of rubber hose jam up my steering box once, so I believe in this preventative measure.

Might be a good time to upgrade to an aftermarket cooler too if you need one. ie; larger than stock tires, slow speed manuevering, extreme fourwheeling etc.

I was under the impression that the e-van saginaw uses a different pulley than the f-series factory pump. Several have mentioned that was the case. I don't know for certain.

Good write up.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 this is something I can look to do.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:52 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
I put a tape measure on the pulleys and they measured out the same. Thanks for the tip on the return line. I've bought a new piece of rubber hose already so I guess I should locate a flare kit. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:18 PM
jnewkirk77
Senior User
Todd,

This is great stuff! I know what I'll be doing when it comes time to replace my PS pump. THANKS!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BCHauler
I put a tape measure on the pulleys and they measured out the same.
I think the difference is the shaft diameters. It would need to be measured with a micrometer or calipers to accurately note any potential differences.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
I never checked pulley diameters when I did my conversion, but did notice a difference when putting the belt back on. The tensioner now rides slightly closer to the end of its travel...not enough to hurt anything though. The saginaw pump may be spaced out slightly farther. Next time I replace my belt I might go with one from an E-150, if they're even any different in legnth.

I used the van's pressure hose and it works great after a couple minor adjustments. I never thought about switching fittings.

BTW, what are you Saginaw guys running for fluid? I used Type F ATF as that's what I found (vaguely) in the shop manual and that's what I ran in the Ford pump. Absolutely no issues with it, but GM calls for power steering fluid with the same pump. Probably really doesn't matter either way.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
They say that the fluid used should be what the box specifies.

The pumps should handle any type of steering fluid.

The guy who posted post #74 on this thread claimed the pulleys don't interchange. I don't know if this is fact or not.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ering-fix.html

Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
donnor
More Turbo
upgrades to an upgrade...

Originally Posted by McLeod
The return line is really long because it also acts as a cooler.

The rubber hose on it can deteriorate and plug up valves in steering gear so it would be a good idea to replace it before long and while your thinking about it.
In researching this matter I came across a suggestion from someone that, just for this reason, you should use a filter in the return line. And, keeping any fluid cooler, is always a good idea for better performance and greater longevity. Use of a proper cooler can help forestall breakdown of the rubber and other internal components.

dn.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are crazy, I love the distinctive sound of a Ford PS pump

Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Beamed
Senior User
whats the advantage of using this pump and what vehichle can i find one in

Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 PM
riglertke
Trailering
Several Advantages

Originally Posted by Beamed
whats the advantage of using this pump and what vehichle can i find one in
Stronger Pump for larger tires.
Quieter than stock.
Longer lasting pump.
Just cool to say you did it.

Not necessarly in that order.

The 92-95 E150s vans have them stock (others might but that is what I can find.)

Search for part # 20-6244 A1 Cardone for the pump.

Anyone have a part number for the pressure line from the F250? Is it the 4WD or 2WD line? Advance list two for the 4wd:
Part #71079 Pressure Line Assembly; W/4WD; W/31 1/2" Hose
Part #91582 Pressure Line Assembly; W/4WD; W/55 1/4" Hose

I'm guessing it is teh 1/2" line, but not sure and I don't want to go there twice.

Quick Reply: 94 F150 Saginaw upgrade with pics