Sponsored by:

what to order?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 12:40 PM
campster
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to order?

Getting ready to order an '01 PowerStroke 4x4 and not sure about (a) the 4L100 automatic and (b) the electronic shift-on-the-fly T-case option.

I've always detested automatics offroad, but several owners have said this one is OK.

After nuch digging, I found that the T-case is either an NV-271 (manual) or NV-273 (solenoid) but the internals are otherwise identical. THe real question is the 'pulse vacuum-operated front hubs with manual override' -- are they OK with lockers, etc? One guy says he replaced his with Warn hubs just to make sure.

I know you guys will have some useful opinions ;>

Old 07-29-2000, 04:49 PM
mrpottymouth
New User
what to order?

THE REAL QUESTION IS DO YOU WANNA RELY ON VACCUUM WHEN YOURE MILES FROM CIVILIZATION??? THE SAME FOR A SOLENOID OPERATED TRANSFER CASE!!!I HAD A 93 EDDIE BAUER BRONCO AND THE SOLENOID BURNT OUT ON A LIGHT TRAIL RUN IN NORTH TEXAS....I HAD TO RIDE 3!! MILES BAACK TO THE ROAD WITH MY BUDDY IN HIS 73 BRONCO ....NOT TO MENTION THE20 OR SO MILES TO FIND A PART OR THE TIME SPENT REPAIRING IT IN THE FIELD.....BUT IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU WHEEL (THOSE VACCUUM THINGS SUCK IN MUD TOO
0)

Old 07-30-2000, 12:39 PM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what to order?

The electronic shift-on-the-fly version electronically detects the relative speeds of the gears in the T-case, and the computer makes the millisecond decision when to shift from high range to low whilst still moving, as opposed to having to stop and change gears, losing your forward momentum and possibly getting stuck even worse.
But...
"Simplicity" and "reliability" are synomous off-road, and the simplicity of a manual transfer case and manual hubs is hard to beat.
For some reason, the door-locking solenoids in my '91 go away every other year and have to be replaced; do you really want an electronic system for your 4wd from a company that can't even get electric door locks right?

Old 07-30-2000, 12:56 PM
campster
Freshman User
what to order?

Hmm...

If I could add a manual lever (or at least an under-chassis bypass) it would be pretty nice to go from 4-H to 4-L in motion. Supposedly no problem disconnecting the vacuum hubs from what I've heard.

Any thoughts on the 4E100 or whatever the (supposedly Allison-built) automatic is? I'm very skeptical (at least until they put a REAL Allison in it.)

Old 08-03-2000, 02:30 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what to order?