Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Loose steering / Fuel additive

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
newstroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose steering / Fuel additive

I have a 99 F-350 psd with 147,000 miles on it. I have had the truck a little over a year. When I first bought it I took it to Les Scwab to have the front end checked for a clunk. This turned out to be back shocks, but everything else looked good. I replaced the Shocks and this fixed all funny noises. Now my ? over the last couple months the steering seems to be looser than before. The truck wants to wander and seems to be more play in the steering wheel. Is this common and could a nut have came loose on something. Any adjust on steering box? Second ? What additive is a good choice to put in fuel tank and where do most purchase it from. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of our members have just replaced the steering box while others have greased or done something to the shaft on the steering cloumn. I can't remember exactly though.

I run Power Services Deisel Kleen in my truck. You can find it at Walmart. I prefer FPPF but I can't find it anywhere.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Now my ? over the last couple months the steering seems to be looser than before. The truck wants to wander and seems to be more play in the steering wheel
The steering box does have an adjustment. That should be one of the last things you look at. I had the same problem of a loose steering and a slight wander. I jacked mine up and found nothing loose and thought I should adjust the steering box,too. then I read on this sight about checking the tire pressure. I was running 50 pounds (smooth ride) but it should have been 80psi. With air ressure up, steering nice and tight.

to adjust the steering box, there is a lock nut and allen on top of the box. Loosen nut and (the allen will most likily back off with it), either hold allen when backing off or note how far you have loosened. Take allen only 1/8 of a turn down farther into the box and hold allen when tightening nut. test results. Do not take the allen down 'too far' as it will bind the free play of the box.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Les is correct on the steering box, be careful playing with that.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't play around much with the steering box. I plan on getting a redhead eventually... Look at the u joint in the steering shaft for play, it sometimes likes to loosen up. Tie rods are another place to look at closely. As for fuel additive, I like Howes. I haven't tried howes meaner power cleaner but want to. I use their regular stuff and notice a dramatic sound difference... I ordered some food at sonics the other day with the truck on... I was all excited they could hear me haha...