1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Possibly coming over from the darkside...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 PM
likaroc13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly coming over from the darkside...need some input

Well, I hope I don't get hated on, lol...but i'm looking at possibly trading my '88 S-10 Blazer for a '48 Ford F1 pickup...i've never owned a Ford, but I like this era of Ford trucks...i was approached about trading this past weekend while at a show...I've been looking for a classic truck lately...so, i just want some input on the truck to see whether it's truly a good deal or not before I make a decision....here's a link to some info on the truck, as well as a pic:

1948 FORD RAT ROD F1 PICKUP * A MUST SEE * HOT ROD COOL for Sale

thanks for any help/input

Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Max E
Senior User
You can't imagine the fun difference with the old truck. Everyone will be waving and thumbing you all the time. I think I see you are getting a rat rod. No problem you'll spend less than the boys with the high dollar paint but the fun is the same.
Max E

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my honest opinion, I think he is asking way too much for it. I wouldn't pay any more than $3500.00 for it and it will need a lot of work if you want to drive it anywhere and comply with any laws.

However, I do agree that having an old rig to drive around will be cool....can't say from experience as mine is till torn down, but there have been quite a few people who will be walking or driving by and stop to see what it is and how it is progressing.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
fastfew
Senior User
not another roachrod that thing is lame.........................

Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Originally Posted by fastfew
not another roachrod that thing is lame.........................
fastfew, weren't you just on here a couple of days ago complaining 'cause someone insulted your pickup in the classifieds?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
likaroc13
New User
Originally Posted by Kusto
In my honest opinion, I think he is asking way too much for it. I wouldn't pay any more than $3500.00 for it and it will need a lot of work if you want to drive it anywhere and comply with any laws.

However, I do agree that having an old rig to drive around will be cool....can't say from experience as mine is till torn down, but there have been quite a few people who will be walking or driving by and stop to see what it is and how it is progressing.

yeah, seemed a bit high to me as well...my Blazer is worth $3500...what do you think it needs to be legally driven? it runs/drives, becuz the people that own it now bought it from a guy at the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, TN who drove it 240 miles...and we don't have any kind of inspections here in FL

Old 10-13-2008, 11:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Inspections or not, you want it to be safe for you, your loved ones and the innocents sharing the road. The interior altho amusing tells me the builder/driver didn't concern himself much with safety, so I wonder what other corners were cut in the build? I agree with Kusto it's worth no more than 3500. if it doesn't have any other unseen craftsmanship/safety/mechanical issues, IMHO. The fact the present owner wants to turn it over so soon after getting it even willing to trade it for a different pickup makes me wonder what he found when he got it home. He intimates that he was not comfortable with driving it very far. If your Blazer is your daily driver and/or you do not have a place to work on it for a couple years, a lot of tools and the skills to use them plus a spare $3-10K to dump into it I'd pass on the deal.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 PM
likaroc13
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Inspections or not, you want it to be safe for you, your loved ones and the innocents sharing the road. The interior altho amusing tells me the builder/driver didn't concern himself much with safety, so I wonder what other corners were cut in the build? I agree with Kusto it's worth no more than 3500. if it doesn't have any other unseen craftsmanship/safety/mechanical issues, IMHO. The fact the present owner wants to turn it over so soon after getting it even willing to trade it for a different pickup makes me wonder what he found when he got it home. He intimates that he was not comfortable with driving it very far. If your Blazer is your daily driver and/or you do not have a place to work on it for a couple years, a lot of tools and the skills to use them plus a spare $3-10K to dump into it I'd pass on the deal.

yeah, it needs an interior...they have bucket seats that would be thrown in with the deal...mechanically, it runs/drives good...i wouldn't be looking to drop much $$ into it...i'd be leaving it the way it is & just making sure it always runs/drives safely...I have an '89 VW for a daily driver, so no concerns there...this would just be something to have fun/play around with on the weekends...btw, I was also offered the option to trade for another vehicle they own (63 VW Beetle)...so basically, it's my choice which i'd rather have

Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
My two cents

I'll have to agree with Custo.... that's a $3500 rig.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
Here, if you're looking for one in the $8k range, here ya go:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...61#post6646261

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anytime you can trade a Chevy for a Ford it's a good deal!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
At least it has a ford engine! I think its cool and I think your getting the better end of the deal.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Just curious...

I am wondering what quality of work was done regarding the chassis, suspension and drive line. It would seem to me there is a possibility of a lot of expense and quality work having been invested there or just the opposite, a real mess that will be nothing but trouble. Is it a well rebuilt engine or something liberated from a junker??? Although I tend to agree with AX about the possibility of there being poor quality workmanship, I suppose there is the chance that there could be a lot of time and money invested in the engine, tranny, chassis and suspension.

The problem I have with rat rods is that people often throw together just anything they can find and put it on the road. I also admit there have been a few cases where I have seen rat rods that were actually well built in spite of their seemingly junky appearance.

Just going by the picture and the description, I tend to agree with the majority here and I would have to say the price is too high. Of course if you are looking to get something ready to drive you will pay more out front. I'm thinking this one is going to need a serious infusion of cash to make it suitable. If you are serious about an old Ford truck, I would suggest you keep looking around.

One other point of curiosity... You said you were coming over from the Darkside. I don't think that having a Chevy Blaizer is Darkside. I'd say it's more like you are coming over from the opposition camp. Darksiders are those of us that change and modify stock vehicles. However, there are some of us have limits as to what we will do to a truck.

I think we would all like to see a Chevy guy cross over but if you do it with this one there is a good chance it might turn you off for the old Ford trucks as opposed to bringing you into the fold. For 8K I think I could find you something a lot better. I could invest a total of 3K and build something a lot better and safer.

Later Man...

Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd be a little careful. And I agree withthe rest of the folks $3500 tops. AX brought up a good point that I would like to expand on a little and that is the care and attention to detail in the modifications that do not show the care and attention to detail in the modifications that these trucks need to have when modified.

If all these things have been done either professionally or by someone who "does things right" then you're ok. But frequently on this site we here of the horror stories generated by previous owners and their "designs."

Youwill love your Bonus Built truck - owning, driving, and working on it. But if you have $8K to spend, I'd really look around and find a truck you can go look at and drive - at speed- pay the $3500 for for one and use the rest to do the things to it you want to do.

A few areas to be specifically attentive to would be: front end - steering and shock absorption; electrical system - especially charging, lights and accessories; rust around running board joints and on the seam of the front fenders/lower fenders; bed condition.

You'll have fun, and you will spend money. But the more of one and the less of the other is better.

J!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Whoops !!!

Originally Posted by Mr Mayo
fastfew, weren't you just on here a couple of days ago complaining 'cause someone insulted your pickup in the classifieds?

Now there's a point. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Possibly coming over from the darkside...need some input