1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Radiator leaks and Bars Liquid Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 PM
enotoga
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator leaks and Bars Liquid Aluminum

I've had two experiences that I thought I'd share because I've heard a lot of bad stuff online about Bars Liquid Aluminum. I've used it twice in the last 5 years, both times with absolute success.

The first time I had a visible leak in the front of the radiator with coolant spraying out of a hole. I used 1/2 a bottle of liquid aluminum and the leak sealed and I drove that truck for another 40k miles without any further cooling system maintanance. It was a permanent fix.

The second time was just recently. This will sound crazy but it was in a Saturn LS200 with no way to access the radiator itself, only the resevoir. I couldn't find the leak but I was loosing a lot of fluid and finally the car started to overheat. I added a whole bottle of liquid aluminum to the resevoir and it sucked right into the cooling system. It's been two weeks and I haven't lost a drop of coolant and the car runs at a perfectly normal temp.

Any others with any radiator sealant stories?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts
i think the aluminum is great for small leaks. i tried the brown pellets, they turn the antifreeze an oily color, dont like that.... final note, i blew a crossover tube gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold last winter. tried the aluminum and it worked for 2 weeks, then started dripping. i went back and looked at their web page and they sell a "head gasekt sealer". That stuff is really mean. I flushed radiator and installed the head sealer. that was 9 months ago-- no problems. This stuff says it wall fix cracked heads and blown head gaskets--- keep that in mind. I also restore old farm tractors fromt he 1940s and i put 4 ounces of the aluminum in each radiator when i do the restore. seals any minor pit holes.