Manual Locking Hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
tbear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Locking Hub problem

I've done a few searches.....and there's alot of info on this subject.

I'll try to be consise, as I didn't read this exact problem.

Basic problem I've noticed is when I lock my manual hubs, I hear a consistent clicking noise coming from the left front hub. Transfer case is not engaged in 4WD...still in 2 WD.

1989 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 4x4, 460 CID.

I've drained and replaced the transfer case fluid....just as a precaution. I've also noticed steering is severely restricted when the hub is locked. I currently only use 4WD at the boat ramp, but Winter is coming in Illinois and I would like the option again, LOL.

I've looked at the Haynes manual to see what may lie ahead. Any thoughts on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

I'm guessing a bad hub. I will jack up the front end this week and lock the hubs and check if it's resisting locking. Lever on the wheel moves freely and normally. No problems in the 3 years I have owned the truck.

I'm hoping it's an affordable fix, as I would like to get a more fuel efficient tow vehicle next year.....and need this one to last a little longer.

I've taken care of a few nagging items.....window regulator, heater core, and soon, belt tensioner pulley (WD 40 shuts it up for a while, but the squeal is driving me nuts!)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Ted

Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds to me like the axle shaft universal joint is seized or otherwise shot.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
tbear
New User
Originally Posted by Lazy K
Thanks for the reply, Lazy K. When it stops raining, I'll crawl under there and take a look.

1st 4WD truck and now that I have a few problems, it's a learning curve. So far in 3 years only brakes/muffler (CarX) and alternator/battery (me).

I don't mind getting dirty.....just over my head.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 PM
master_mechanic
Senior User
I had a simmilar problem to that... my hubs sounded like they were clicking as well... i replaced just about everything in the front end still to have the noise... turned out my brake caliper brakes were wore down a bit and the calipers were actualling rattiling on the bracket... i had to run a bead of weld on the braket and grind it down but i still get the noise in 2wd with the hubs locked, i just learned to ignore it

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
tbear
New User
Originally Posted by master_mechanic
I had a simmilar problem to that... my hubs sounded like they were clicking as well... i replaced just about everything in the front end still to have the noise... turned out my brake caliper brakes were wore down a bit and the calipers were actualling rattiling on the bracket... i had to run a bead of weld on the braket and grind it down but i still get the noise in 2wd with the hubs locked, i just learned to ignore it
If it was just a noise, I could live with it. The steering restriction is what bothers me. Obviously can't use 4WD with that.

Front brakes (calipers and rotors) are new last December....no issues last Winter, and with our weird weather we had last January in Northern Illinois, the hubs were locked alot, in case 4WD was necessary. Seemed like just when the snow melted....another 2 or 3 inches fell.

I'll try to get it in the air Thursday and check things out.

Thanks, Ted

Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I am thinking that the axle joints are frozen the where they don't wanna turn. take real good look at them, most of the trucks now don't have the ones you can grease so maybe that is the issue.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
tbear
New User
Originally Posted by senix
I am thinking that the axle joints are frozen the where they don't wanna turn. take real good look at them, most of the trucks now don't have the ones you can grease so maybe that is the issue.
Thanks senix. I'm putting the front end up in the air Friday (Dad's got the nice floor jack )

I'm going to use the Haynes manual and check anything that can be binding up, making sure the hubs are actually locking and seeing if I can recreate my symptoms in the air.

I'll post on my results.

Thanks again, Ted

Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
tbear
New User
Originally Posted by Lazy K
Looks like Lazy K is the winner. I got her up on jackstands this afternoon. Hubs locked and turned both axle and transfer case shaft easily.

Turning was still restricted. I had noticed the noise was on the front left wheel.....and then I decided to check if the wheel moved....lo and behold, yup.

Looks like the axle shaft u-joint has movement/play, along with tie rod and Pitman arm bushings. They probably wore out and it affected the u-joint. Right side is tight....just the left.

So I don't start another thread in the Steering section, I'll continue this one.

More questions:

Are the tie rod bushings replacable, or must the entire tie rod be purchased. I just browsed thru Advanced Auto's website and this seem to be the case, at least what they offer online. In store might be different, and worth a call. They don't list some of their smaller part online.....

Is the axle u-joint removal and replacement difficult? I'm trying not to spend a mint....and will do the work if I can, although special tool cost could make this cost prohibitive.

My landlord has a mechanic that is very inexpensive.....and he might get the work if I have to pull out my hair.

Thanks again for your help in diagnosing this. Ted

Last edited by tbear; 10-10-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
tie rods will have to be purchased, last time I had the issue that was the only I could get it.