Sponsored by:

Auto AND manual hubs possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:43 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Auto AND manual hubs possible?

I've had warn manual hubs since I've had my truck. They work great and I have never had a problem with them. When I go on a dirt trails, I lock the hubs before just in case I'll need to use 4x4.

I have to admit though, I've always wanted the ability to turn 4x4 on while in the truck. I have a manual shift t-case (and want to keep it that way) but if it is raining or something quick pops up, I'd like to be able to engage the hubs without having to run out and turn them manually, but would still like the option to have the manual hubs for strength!

Maybe I'm asking too much, but is it possible to have push button hubs AND manual locking hubs? I thought of this because my friends dads superduty powerstroke truck apparently has this as on option and I was very surprised.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:26 AM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My first reaction to this is "No man, just NO..." But I guess I can see the appeal.. My second impression is "Hmm, interesting" about the superduty because ive never heard of such a setup. I would imagine they arent really BOTH. Similar to when you talk to a wanabe gear head import driver who says he has both a manual and an automatic transmission because he has paddle shifters. He doesnt know that manual and automatic transmissions work completely differently and just because he can select which gear to drive in doesnt make it also a manual transmission (Maybe this conversation has only happened to me) Anyway, my bet would be that the superduty has some sort of new automatic hub technology that still isnt quite the same as true manual hubs. but I dont actually know, maybe someone figured it out. But really, you cant beat true manual hubs and Warn is about as good as it gets, cream of the crop really. Ive dealt with auto hubs and I hate them but thats just me. I really think getting out in the rain 1000 times is better than needing your 4x4 and it not working once.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:43 AM
Thunderhorn
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, So I did some really quick, and in no way comprehensive research. and What I have come up with is that I believe my earlier suspicion was correct. some (newish) Ford trucks came with automatic air locking hubs, which physically move similar to true manuals at the push of a button. however they still dont work the same exact way AND everyone seems to hate them because of un-reliability just like traditional auto locking hubs. Ill stick with my feeling and say stick with your Warns!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Superduties have been out since 1999 so this isn't actually a "new" feature. My 2000 Excursion has auto/manual hubs.

Yes it's true that they can fail to engage automatically but that's what the manual mode is for. When you engage the transfer case, the hubs automatically engage if they're working properly. If not, you get out and turn the **** on them just like regular manual hubs. The auto/manual transmission is not a good analogy in this case, although I do sympathize with you when you hear some knucklehead talking about his "manual" automatic transmission.

The superduty hubs operate on vacuum. I don't know if there's an aftermarket option for anything like that for a Bronco. They're far more reliable than the OBS-style mechanical automatic hubs though.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 AM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone ought to design an aftermarket one that locks electrically with a +12vdc signal from 4x4 indicator light, and can be manually locked too. There are situations where auto hubs would be nice in a pinch.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Okay, So I did some really quick, and in no way comprehensive research. and What I have come up with is that I believe my earlier suspicion was correct. some (newish) Ford trucks came with automatic air locking hubs, which physically move similar to true manuals at the push of a button. however they still dont work the same exact way AND everyone seems to hate them because of un-reliability just like traditional auto locking hubs. Ill stick with my feeling and say stick with your Warns!
I should probably do some research on these hubs as well! Maybe ask my friend to inspect his dads hubs and see how they lock. I like to warns I have now so I won't be upset if I have to keep them, but I like trying to improve things any way I can (like improve the engine in my Bronco from a 5.0 to 7.3)

Originally Posted by andym
Superduties have been out since 1999 so this isn't actually a "new" feature. My 2000 Excursion has auto/manual hubs.

Yes it's true that they can fail to engage automatically but that's what the manual mode is for. When you engage the transfer case, the hubs automatically engage if they're working properly. If not, you get out and turn the **** on them just like regular manual hubs. The auto/manual transmission is not a good analogy in this case, although I do sympathize with you when you hear some knucklehead talking about his "manual" automatic transmission.

The superduty hubs operate on vacuum. I don't know if there's an aftermarket option for anything like that for a Bronco. They're far more reliable than the OBS-style mechanical automatic hubs though.
If these hubs work as well in the manual mode as my warns, it would be something I'd be super interested in try to fabricate to work with my setup.

They only thing is, I want to keep my manual shift t-case so I'd have to look into that. I really don't know how auto hubs (electric or vacuum) function at all so I'd probably have to research that first.

Someone ought to design an aftermarket one that locks electrically with a +12vdc signal from 4x4 indicator light, and can be manually locked too. There are situations where auto hubs would be nice in a pinch.
Yeah I really would like this option. I mean, I DO love the warns I have now, but if I could have an auto mode to use in a pinch (like if it starts raining or something unexpected happens) I'd love to have the auto option.

I'm guessing if the superduty hubs work off vacuum but are engaged with the t-case engages, then there has to be an electric signal somewhere that opens a vacuum solenoid to engage the hubs. If this is the case, I would think you could take a relay and hook it up so that when the electric 4x4 light comes on, it opens the relay to give power to an electric solenoid that controls vacuum flow. I don't think it would be all that complicated to do really, but finding out if any hubs would fit in our Broncos and be as robust in the manual version as the warns is the main roadblock...

Old 03-25-2016, 02:58 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Warn used to make automatic manual hubs.

Ones that I can recall had a three location selector, If I can recall correctly.

http://www.rlinwood.com/family_webpa...phlet_a1_2.pdf

Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always love seeing old documentation! That's pretty cool!!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
having had a super duty with the auto manual hubs, an older f150 with auto hubs and many Fseries with full manual hubs I will tell you the auto manual of the SD and the auto hubs on the F150 are junk compared to the manuals.

The SD hubs had a vaccum line pop off right when I needed them most and truthfully the hubs after I locked them in manualy still didn't work very good. Even after fixing the vacuum line issue and a new sensor after it failed I still always manualy locked in the hubs. The hubs were actually the only complaint after putting good tires on my 2002 F250 V10 that I had on it. I still miss that truck.

If you live on a dirt road like I live on getting a little wet when it rains beats getting stuck because your 4x4 wouldn't work when heading to work or similar.

Also on the SDs they don't send a signal from the light the light actually won't come on if the hubs don't engage. I think they have a sensor in the Tcase that says it was engaged if I remember correctly at least on my ESOF F250 it did never tried one with the floor shifter model but would highly doubt they were different. This info is just if you wanted to use the SD system not sure on any other way.
Trav

Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Ah, well that's good to know what the super duty ones are like compared to the older ones.

Maybe I'm just being a little lazy. I installed power windows and door locks on my Bronco years ago because I really like having that option (despite people complaining about power windows failing eventually.)

However, I feel like a working hubs are a little more pertinent on the Bronco and they shouldn't have any problems so I may have to stick with what I have! Maybe someone eventually will make auto and manual hubs that are not junk!