Sponsored by:

Four wheel drive won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 11:59 AM
Ambush
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1997 Ford F250 Diesel with automatic locking hubs. The Front drive shafts turn when the transfer case is engaged. I have been told there may be a solenoid or motor problem. HELP!

Old 07-13-2001, 01:37 PM
deere81
Senior User

Sounds like you have a hub problem. You might want to put manual locking hubs on it.

Old 07-16-2001, 04:58 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It may not be either motor or solinoid. There should be a wire that controls the 4x4 engagement, I haven't eyeballed one but I have on a che.. I can't write that but you know what I mean. It should run down to the front axle itself. I have seen them get ripped off that other brand of truck, but not the fords. So look around for a loose wire, that may be your problem. Other than that, yea it might be a solinoid, but I couldn't tell you where it is. And yes you would be better off with manuals. They always work, unless broken. Hope that helps.

RubberDuck

Old 07-16-2001, 06:45 PM
Ray D
Senior User

If your front driveshaft is turning when you engage 4WD then it definitely sounds like your hubs are bad. The easiest way I know of to check it is to put the truck in 4WD then crawl underneath and see if the front shaft will turn. If the shaft won't turn then your hubs are most likely bad. Manual locking hubs are a straight-forward replacement and a LOT cheaper than replacing the auto-locking bombs. Hope this helped.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:10 PM
BigRebel
Junior User