Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Inter cooler pipe funny

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inter cooler pipe funny

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this . I had my intercooler pipe off couple days ago for the foil delete mod, went to put them back in and did the hairspray like everybody said. Well yesterday i was pulling a hill empty and was rolling a little coal and the turbo was screaming and then BOOM and boost went to zero. First thing i thought was s**t there went the turbo truck would barely pull itself the rest of the way up the hill got home and the intercooler pipe came off. Guess I didn't get it on as tight as i should have. Everything is buttoned up tight now. thank god it wasn't the turbo.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
uliman
Senior User
I had taken my passenger side intercooler pipe off this weekend to pull the valve cover off and I would up cleaning the pipe and the boots and used the hairspray trick also. I was worried about overtightening the clamps on the boots and then worried about not tight enough. I know there are torque specs for the bolts but I did not bother looking them up at the time. I did snug them up pretty good. So I know how you might feel; glad nothing worse happened. I guess there is a fair amount of pressure within the intercooler system in order for them to blow off like that.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did my foil delete in the spring but everytime I'm under the hood, I snug up the bolts just in case. I would crap my britches if that blew off...

Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM
IDPisan
Elder User
We put a wicked wheel on my buddies truck and took it for a test drive. When he went to WOT he quickly blew a boot. The look on his face was priceless, I'm laughing my **** off, he's mad cause he thinks he just blew up his baby. After wiping the tears from my eyes and getting the hood up I show him that he forgot to tighten down the boot clamps fully.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is just one scary sound when you dont know what the hell it is....

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Ahh guilty, but not on my truck. Did the WW for him cause he's not the brightest crayon in the box, and lil did i forget but on single clamp... BOOM down the road about 500 feet from me (i stayed at the shop) and he made a U-turn in the next driveway and chugged her back. Priceless look on his face when he thought i blew the thing up.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
I have had the new boots I bought from dieselsite keep poping off. Have tightened them to no avail. Last night while pulling my rig up to Indiana one poped off. I did the ccv mod and noticed there is oil coming out of the turbo right into the pipe. Have cleaned the boots and everything else real good about 3 times now. I am starting to think the oil seal in the turbo is going out.