Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about 2WD with the hubs locked?

Old 11-22-2001, 10:08 AM
GendoIkari69
Senior User

There's been a lot of discussion about how driving on dry pavement in 4WD is bad. What about driving around in 2WD with the hubs locked so you could switch to 4WD on the fly if needed? I'm very new to the subject of the hubs (mine are auto but debating changing to manual). If somebody could "school" me on the subject of what they do/how they work that would be great.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:22 PM
billyb
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unlocked hubs keep the front axle asssembly from rotating and the driveshaft as well when not in 4wd. you get less wear and a little quieter ride.

Old 11-22-2001, 06:48 PM
alpo23
Senior User

driving with the hubs locked while in 2WD is ok. you will NOT do any damage to the front driveline. Leaving them locked so you don't have to climb in and out if you plan on using the 4wd off and on while wheeling is perfectly fine. For everyday driving then yes, unlock the hubs to save on gas mileage.

Eric

Old 11-26-2001, 05:50 PM
cactus_jack23
New User

I Have had my 1992 f150 4x4 sence it was 9 miles old and my brother has had extensive experience with them also.

My Baby is all "manual" lockouts, transfer case, trany 5 speed,
I have driven up here in the north land (North Dakota) with it sence day one locked in 4 wheel all winter with no adverse effects! I do unlock them in the summer.
I have had a snapping sound in tight turns in 2wd with my hubs locked in, but No Damage Done!!

Why do you think they say it's "FORD TOUGH"

Ps. I would not hesitate to change your auto locking hubs to manual! Damn the torpedos full steam ahead!

Cheers, cactus_jack23(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 11-27-2001, 01:05 PM
chris112lee
Senior User

right now I'm running the automatic hubs on my 91 f-150. I want to switch to manual because they always freeze open here in Alaska. Just yesterday I had to pull my buddy out and it wouldn't go into 4, almost got stuck myself. When you convert to manuals is there a kit you have to buy from the factory to change the spindle nut? That's what I've heard and I'm trying to get it figured out before I dive into it. Still need to drive it everyday and play everyday. Thanks

Old 11-27-2001, 01:48 PM
RJKobbeman
Senior User

Driving around with the hubs locked... but the transfer case in 2wd is a very common thing to do. This does allow you to shift into 4wd on-the-fly at any speed. No damage will result... as nothing is working out of the ordinary. The only adverse thing you will notice is lower mileage.

This is in-effect what most modern-day 4x4s do! A lot of them do not have unlockable hubs... the front drive-line is always turning!

My Dodge Dakota is one example of this... and my Expedition is another. Both have the front drive-line always turning.

Old 12-05-2001, 03:04 PM
georgiafordman78
Senior User

I personally recommend leaving them UNLOCKED on pavement. This will result in better fuel mileage, due to less drag. Not to mention manual set-ups ARE NOT made to run with the hubs locked at all times. Standard manual hubs are not made for high speeds over extended periods, and can result in hub damage. That "snapping" sound one of the other guys described is all you should need to hear!!!!They do make "high speed" hubs for this purpose, but I see it as a waste of money. It only takes 5-10 seconds to hop out of the cab and lock them up. I only leave mine locked when I hit the trails/mudpits, so I can shift on the fly. Also consider that most 4x4s front driveline isn't as precisely balanced (if at all) as the rear driveline, unless it is a full-time 4wd set-up. This means a terrible vibration from the front end!!! Ben - Avid Off-roader...

"Don't Laugh At This Truck Mister, Your Daughter Might Be In Here!!"
'78 F250 4x4/302/NP435/NP205
lifted/"35 mudders
'78 F100 2wd/360/C-6/"9 inch
4bbl int+carb

Old 12-05-2001, 05:52 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru

I leave my hubs locked in when I am driving in not so nice conditions (snow or ice). Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't every thing get a nice lube job when the hubs are locked in? I have also heard that if the hubs are unlocked for a long period of time the bearrings get flat spots in them, I dunno if this is true either. I would say as long as you aren't going down the free way at High speeds then it is fine to leave them in but if you aren't gonna be planning on using them take them out. Also in the summer if you can find a place to use them it doesn't hurt to lock up the hubs and drive around in fourwheel drive just to get them some use.

Old 12-05-2001, 06:40 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User

Chris, check out Warn, they have whatever you will need to do the conversion. Sorry can't say for sure if you need the axle nuts & conversion kit or not.
For leaving the hubs locked in, I must agree that's it's really not a good idea to run them hot for any period of time as in auto-bahn burnin' for many a mile. However, if you have the start of or expect bad weather and worse, then it won't hurt to run them at moderate speeds when in two wheel drive, especially if there is a little patchy ice or "dusty" snow conditions, take the wear if that's a concern, for piece of mind knowing if you need 4wd, it's there. You should also run the front locked in (in 2wd) about once a month in the summer or months you don't use 4wd. This does a couple of things, circulates the fluid and coates the internal metal and seals with fresh lube. Warming the fluid completely gets rid of any moisture that will find it's way in there. Helps keep the hubs free and seals lubed.

Old 12-05-2001, 07:57 PM
fordmaniac21
Elder User

the change from auto to manual hubs is a easy one that takes about a half hour to do. there is no change exept for the hub itself. the manual hubs are a lot stronger and more durable. when the hugs blew out on my 89 i put superwinch manual locking hubs on it. i liked them better with the exeption of haveing to get out and turn them so they were engaged.

'75 F-100 4x4, 4" lift
16x38.5x15 super swamper TSL
390 w/ cam,headers,
and 4 barrell edelbrock

TRIED TRUE and FORD BLUE

Old 12-06-2001, 01:20 PM
85351ho
Postmaster

you really need to run your truck 5-10 miles every month or so with th hubs locked to keep everything lubricated. My 85 f-150 is a good example of this. An older man bought it new and kept it till aorund 1997, he only put 15,000 miles on it, he never once locked in the hubs, then a college kid got it in 97 and drove it until i bought it in july of 99 with 84000 on it, he might have locked the hubs in once or twice he said, for the first couple of months i drove the truck daily and never had any problems, i had just been off roading and i was on the way to pick up a date for homecoming. I left my hubs locked in because it had been awhile since i had ran it with them locked, on the way to the dance with her my transfer case started making a grinding noise, then all of a sudden something gave and it was lik ei was driving in neautral. I stopped messed around and i could only use 4 low and limped to a parking lot. I turned out some bearings gave out and destroyed the insides of my np-208, even the aluminum case, i ended up having to buy a new jasper tranny case, now i run her with the hubs locked every month,
sorry for the long story

Old 12-06-2001, 05:05 PM
gamehunter
Elder User

You shouldn't have a problem leaving the hubs locked in. Right now im doing the same thing. We got dumped on with 6" of snow. Just a small skiff but I still use 4x4 once in a while to get the truck moving. I have engaged and disengaged 4x4 at speeds up to 65mph without any trouble. Smooth as can be.