6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Service Dept called today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
lawnboy1965
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know when the implemented the new torque procedure. Was it after the 6.0 was discontinued?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lawnboy1965
Does anyone know when the implemented the new torque procedure. Was it after the 6.0 was discontinued?
late 05. it was part of a informational tsb for us.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Thanks BTH.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Dukey_truck
4wd Low
I am new to the 6.0 deisel world and just trying do the right things. This is a great forum but sometimes it scares the $#!& out of me. If I am not experiencing any problems, should I have the head bolts retourqued?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Dukey_truck
I am new to the 6.0 deisel world and just trying do the right things. This is a great forum but sometimes it scares the $#!& out of me. If I am not experiencing any problems, should I have the head bolts retourqued?
IMO i wouldn't worry about it unless a situation arose where you had to have the cab lifted. it just seems to me like you would be throwing away good money after bad. like what was stated in the previous posts if you perform proper maintenance and take care of your truck the way it needs to be taken care of i really don't think you will have anything to worry about. preventative maintenance is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
FTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
....There are many dealerships that will work with you on installing studs, but (as BTH said) you really can't demand them if they don't want to install them. Find a reliable dealership that will work with you, develop a good relationship with them, and you will have much better results.
I agree, I am lucky to have found a great dealership. When I was recently faced with the oil cooler > Egr cooler > head gasket failure (totally stock truck) I got a call from my tech and he TOLD ME to order ARP studs and have then sent to him. He also made sure he found a way to justify every TSB update (HPOP Kit,,etc, etc,) he could find to make sure I have a trouble free reliale truck going forward.

During a discussion he did say the stock head bolts should be fine if properly torqued.. BUT in the case where you have outside influence such as clogged oil coolers and failed egr coolers, the ARP studs would give me the extra insurance that could possibly keep these things from also causing headgasket issues. To him it makes total sense to give his customers that extra amount of durabilty in facing the other common issues that can snowball towards headgasket failures.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
After changing out the the head bolts and gaskets along with all the other bumper to bumper stuff, the service dept. called Friday night saying they were having "issues" with the new heads. Not sure what that means and the service writer could tell me. They did say it should be ready by Wednesday or Thursday.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So your saying that I can make my head gaskets blow if I want by abusing to truck when it's cold.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
I don't know what caused the head gasket problem. Oil cool, egr cooler, or head bolt torque... I use a turbo timer all the time, wait for about 5-6 minutes when I start it before going, have the high idle mod to the up fitters switch that is used when the weather is below 40, and pull a 13K boat and a 10K horse trailer.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
Talked to service Dept this morning, seems the tech on the "post service test drive" blew the head gaskets on the new heads...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

he had to of done some thing wrong or its a line of bs

Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess would be they didn't check the heads and block deck to ensure they were flat. New gaskets won't make up for warped heads.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
FTX
Senior User
...or those crappy TTY bolts ...yielded too much :-)

J/K, there was obviously an error made somewhere in the inspection/assembly process, or a defective new part??

Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
Got the truck back Thursday, 9 pages of writeup/fixes. New heads (2 sets), oil cooler, egr valve, egr cooler clutch fan, degauss... Truck ran great pulling a horse trailer for 1000 miles. Checked coolant level several times and didn't get the hiss sound. Seems they must have reflashed the computer, it doest seem to have the pickup and pull as it did before.

They did the door trim TSB, replaced the glass on the window, but the pisser is that the windows were tinted from the dealership, and they didn't retint them. Service manager said that the scratches onn the outside could have been caused by the tint, I call BS on that. She said they don't warrenty after market items even though it was a dealer installed item. Had her try to explain if I had an add on Sirius unit put in would they repair it, she didn't answer.

Stated that they replaced sunroof track, but didn't didn't remove the sun roof, SM said they did, but when pushed how they could remove the glass without putting a finger or hand print on a fithy sunroof she buckled and could answer, said to bring it back. Seems that they are billing Ford for work not preformed...

It sucks the only other close dealership is owned by them too, and the next closest is 120 miles away.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 AM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by VelocityDriver
It sucks the only other close dealership is owned by them too, and the next closest is 120 miles away.
just because two stealerships are owned by the same person doesn't mean that the operate the same. i know of two dealerships in the vegas area that are owned by the same guy. i have heard horror stories about one of them but the other one i've heard nothing but good things. apparently the good one will even install studs and keep your warranty. anywho what i'm trying to say is don't blow off another dealership just cause they are owned by the same person. most of the time the owner doesn't even know what is going on in his service department.

Quick Reply: Service Dept called today...