2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging Noise Leads to $6k Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Pinging Noise Leads to $6k Repair

Over at Consumerist.com Jeff has a big problem. Ford: Ford's $5698.37 Pinging Noise

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy is stupid.

Use aftermarket oil filter and try blame ford for this.

We need tell everyone who own ford stop use different oil filter and they need stay with Motorcraft oil filter.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Ah, but did you see the whole point the article was making?

The pinging noise PREDATED the use of aftermarket oil filters!!!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And they even told him the use of motorcraft filters would void the warranty.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I cannot imagine anyone living with bad lifter/follower noise and not being more aggressive about getting it fixed. The whole thing about the oil filters is a bunch of ****. I've used regular FRAM filters all my life with no problems. The FRAM TG-16 ToughGard filter I used in my '96 Jeep Cherokee consistently provided the highest oil pressure I ever had with that vehicle. I use Ford filters and oil in my 2007 F-150, but there are plenty of as-good or better filters out there.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't read the whole letter, but from what it sounded like he was describing, it was problably just Cam Phasers. Takes about 4 hours to do and we do them at the dealership like Jiffy Lube does oil changes. We have one guy that does them pretty much all day long(between swapping clutch packs on F-150 rear diffs)...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
hillbilly12384
Freshman User
why would you even buy the thing if there was already a pingin noise when you bought it.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
This guy is stupid.

Use aftermarket oil filter and try blame ford for this.

We need tell everyone who own ford stop use different oil filter and they need stay with Motorcraft oil filter.
This guy isn't stupid. Aftermarket oil filters and aftermarket oil meets or exceeds Ford's standards hands down. Ford doesn't even acknowledge thier own filters as being of high enough quality to prevent internal damage. For the first 30k, he used dealership service to service his truck, he then moved to Jiffy Lube which is a perfectly competent franchise.

The one mistake that he did make was that he failed to verify that his complaint of pinging was recorded on a work order with a serial number and date and vehicle mileage. Without that info, he has no case to hire a lawyer and go to court.

Tim

Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
WOW...I'm shocked that Ford dropped the ball here...

Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
He should have bought a service contract. And as for the oil filter issue, fram filters are the worst on the market period!! I wont tell anyone they have to use only a motorcraft filter, but at least use a good quality one wix, perolator, those are what are available around here, I'm shure there are others as well. I will acnowledge there are issues with oil filters and lack of lube to the heads.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
The owner wasn't thinking clearly. If you have a suspected noise and they tell you it is normal, you go out on the lot and listen to another engine like you have. You also make sure your complaints are registered and keep records. You always have to have a paper trail on everything.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger88a
He should have bought a service contract. And as for the oil filter issue, fram filters are the worst on the market period!! I wont tell anyone they have to use only a motorcraft filter, but at least use a good quality one wix, perolator, those are what are available around here, I'm shure there are others as well. I will acnowledge there are issues with oil filters and lack of lube to the heads.
Agreed, however, Fram filters meet FMC specs and if not, the burden of proof of thier inferiority should rest with the auto manufacturer. NO WHERE IN THE OWNERS MANUAL DOES IT STATE THAT USING AFTERMAKET BRANDS OF OIL AND FILTERS WILL VOID ANY OR ALL WARRANTYS! I use motorcraft filters, but Ive all brands of filters and oils with no ill effects.

FMC and the lame duck dealers involved screwed, blued and tatooed this poor man as evidenced by the late and half hearted damage control that FMC attempted to do.

Tim

Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
NO WHERE IN THE OWNERS MANUAL DOES IT STATE THAT USING AFTERMAKET BRANDS OF OIL AND FILTERS WILL VOID ANY OR ALL WARRANTYS! I use motorcraft filters, but Ive all brands of filters and oils with no ill effects.
agreed. Chevy tried doing that a little while back...and got their butts handed to them. The aftermarket stuff must meet a certain spec...and that's it. If it's been tested to that spec, then the aftermarket stuff is considered the same as OEM.

Fram stuff works. But the Motorcraft filter has a better anti-drainback check valve. Period. Enough people on this site and other Ford sites have been through the noisy drivetrain after start-up...and then have it go away when the filter is switched to a Motorcraft FL-820S.

so the whole premise of the story is that the guy bought a truck with bad cam phasers. He then drove it for 58,000 miles before initiating repairs. His warranty denied coverage because of a bad filter and he was given the options of a $2500, $6,000, or $7,100 repairs out of pocket.

I agree that this isn't cool. Not sure what I believe on the internet though. If I were to hear a pinging noise, that truck wouldn't have been purchased...and it damn sure wouldn't have been driven for 57,995 miles before getting off my butt to investigate.

on a side note: it's amazing the # of people on this site who believe any story that comes along and don't consider the other side (Fords side). The big bad ol' conglomerate is evil and always the baddie

Old 09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Even though I like Ford products, this doesn't surprise me. FMC has some of the worst customer serivice and support I've ever dealt with. Doesn't look like anything has changed over the last 10yrs.

My understanding was when using an aftermarket product, such as oil, oil filter air filte, etc, that the company had to prove that in fact the problem was caused by the aftermarket part. Not simply state so and that's it.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wilber15
I didn't read the whole letter, but from what it sounded like he was describing, it was problably just Cam Phasers. Takes about 4 hours to do and we do them at the dealership like Jiffy Lube does oil changes. We have one guy that does them pretty much all day long(between swapping clutch packs on F-150 rear diffs)...
From the article:
"They advised that the problem stemmed from the camshaft position sensor. The said it would have to be replaced. They did so, but the problem persisted. They continued to work on the truck, and we (the dealership and I) agreed that the extended warranty covered us."

This is just a plain denial by Ford because they don't want to fix it. This guy didn't have issues because of the oil filter, that sounds like a joke, seriously.

It's unfortunate that this happened, everybody has different experiences but I can't blame the guy for not wanting another Ford.

I have a question BTW, is it normal to have bad experiences w/ Ford dealers? Haven't had to deal with a stealership in this way.

Edit: I do agree he should have had proof on paper of the noise, or at least made sure Ford made a record of it.

Quick Reply: Pinging Noise Leads to $6k Repair