Will I like the RTS (T170FT) after running a T18?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Will I like the RTS (T170FT) after running a T18?

Fellas, here is the situation:

My current truck is a '65 F-100 SWB with a stout 390" and a T-18 trans behind it. It has served me well; however, the truck is getting rusty and the cab is starting to sag outta shape. So I've been looking for a suitable replacement.

I finally pulled the trigger & picked up a very solid '65 F-250, also with a warmed over 390", and equipped with a DANA 60 rear w/4.10 gears; nice. However, the trans is a mid 80's 4spdOD (RTS) trans. Now I know what my T-18 can do (if I've got traction, it'll climb trees!), but I've got NO experience with with this RTS trans and what it's capable of.. so it has me somewhat concerned.

As mentioned, it is behind a warmed-over 390 FE and is in a '65 F-250. Fuel mileage is NOT an issue trouble-tree towing & hauling is. The truck will primarily be used to perform once or twice a month with most trips of less than 100 miles round trip; for 8 months of the year. The towing will consist of a 2,200# two-axle trailer with normal trailer cargo weights of 3,600 to 5,000 lbs. So, around 10,000 lb total combined weight won't be unusual.

So what do you guys think - will the RTS trans live in the described work environment?

All thoughts and/or advice welcome!

BarnieTrk

P.S.
Does anyone know what the 1,2, 3, and OD numerical gear ratios are for the RTS (T170FT) 4spd-OD transmissions?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:49 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
several questions! with the T18 were there instances where you had to start off in 1st gear due to load/grade? if you had to use 1st gear a lot,you are going to be slipping the clutch a lot with a higher 1st gear start. was this trans used in anything other than light duty 1/2ton 2wd's? what kind of speeds are you towing at,and is the drive fairly flat,without a lot of hills? Im thinking that the O/D trans will be marginal at best,while the T18 wont have any problems,as youve found out already!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Iggybob44,

Your questions:
with the T18 were there instances where you had to start off in 1st gear due to load/grade?

-- Well, I don't know if I HAD to, but with a load I would usually start out in 1st gear - because I could. I just always figured I have it - I should use it and make it easier on the rest of the drivetrain.

if you had to use 1st gear a lot,you are going to be slipping the clutch a lot with a higher 1st gear start. was this trans used in anything other than light duty 1/2ton 2wd's?

-- Yep, I tried to do some light towing today and found myself riding the clutch more than I'm accustomed to - especially backing up.
It's my understanding that the T170FT 4speed (TOD) was primarily used in light duty 300" 6-cyl and 302 V8 2WD & 4WD applications.

what kind of speeds are you towing at,and is the drive fairly flat,without a lot of hills?

-- I'm usually towing at moderate (50-60 mph) speeds; not that much freeway use. Yep, mostly flat.

I'm thinking that the O/D trans will be marginal at best,while the T18 wont have any problems,as youve found out already!

-- Yep, all afternoon I've been trying to convince myself to just bite the bullet and simply removing both trannys, swap them and reinstall both of them. Once swapped out, that would put the T-18 in the F-250 and the T170FT into the F-100. The T170FT 4-speed trans may live for a while, but I've been "spoiled" by using a 'REAL' truck transmission (T-18) for years, so I'm thinking it would be "the weak link in the F-250 chain". I know that would be the smart move; I'm just being lazy I guess.

Thanks, Iggybob44, for reading the writing on the wall for me!

BarnieTrk

Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those were just guesses on my part,but i figured that trans was designed mostly for the lightly loaded,commuter type truck owner who mostly wanted economy on the freeway

Old 09-21-2008, 12:39 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I've never owned one, but around here that tranny doesn't have a reputation for strength. The T-18 is a much stronger unit and is a lot better suited for towing.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
BullDad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you wud like to get rid of that trans...i may be interested.
I am putting together a 61 Ranchero with a 200 I6....Dont need a "big furry" tranny...lol

Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BullDad
If you wud like to get rid of that trans...i may be interested.
I am putting together a 61 Ranchero with a 200 I6....Dont need a "big furry" tranny...lol
Thanks, but I am not looking to get rid of the transmission at this point. Actually, I am currently leaning toward biting the bullet and jacking up both trucks (F100 & F250) and pulling both transmissions and swapping them. If the two clutches appear to be in good shape, I may just keep them as is....however, I suspect I would install new throwout bearings in each....just 'cause. I also realize that the driveshafts will not swap out nor will they stay....so I would likely need to have custom driveshafts made for each truck once I complete the swap.

Nevertheless, I am not too sure that the RTS (T170FT) transmission is what you would want in your Ranchero. Remember the RTS shifter goes straight into the transmission (just like a T-18). The RTS shifter may NOT come through the floor in a good location (it may be too close to the dash or too close to the seat)....
Didn't the 3 & 4 speed transmissions that originally came in the early '60s Rancheros have external linkage like what was used on the RUG Toploader 4speeds used in Mustangs & Comets?

BarnieTrk

Old 11-24-2022, 08:07 AM
jjcole1944
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a T170 RTS. I took it out to do some front end work. It was working fine before and when I put it back in it was locked up. None of the things you mentioned are the problem. Nothing was changed on the drive shaft. The transmission has been removed again. Not a clutch problem. Removed the top to get to the gear selector and the problem seems to be in the top gear selector. Worked with it and got the gear selector loosened up but haven't put the top back on.

Last edited by jjcole1944; 11-27-2022 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Need to add more information
Old 11-24-2022, 09:17 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jjcole1944
I have a T170 RTS. I took it out to do some front end work. It was working fine before and when I put it back in it was locked up
JJCole,
Unfortunately, I'd say you'll need to remove the transmission again to determine what is the issue. Once back out, with shifter in neutral, spin the output and input shafts to ensure they are not jammed up somehow. I'd guess it is related to the clutch pack alignment, not a transmission issue...did you change a driveshaft U-joint while doing the work? If so, you may have inadvertently gotten the U-joints out of phase - which could bind things up...... Let us know what you determine.....

BarnieTrk