1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP, UVC's, CCK, AE, fuel filter oh my! Long Read Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DP, UVC's, CCK, AE, fuel filter oh my! Long Read Warning!

<<<<<WANRING: LONG READ AHEAD>>>>> <<<<<<BEER DRINKING AREA>>>>>

Well for the first week of being back home I got alot done(I think)

Started off with the CCK from DinoFuelAlternatives.
For me this was the first time actually modding a fuel system, I followed the instructions but when it came time to cut the fuel line I thought if i cut it and ran into problems later on with a bad hose, or stripped fitting I couldnt go back intime and uncut that fuel line so I skipped that part and got the heads tied together, THEN I cut the fuel line and installed the T.

Kit went on fine without any hickups and only took me about 2 and a half hours. I did notice less cackle...heh who woulda thought! I give the CCK a 9/10 (I think the instructions are a little backwards but hey...to each his own)

and while I had the A/C bracket off I'de clean that exhaust back pressure tube and maybe replace the sensor if needed. Sure as ***** the tube was glogged back at the manifold and the sensor was glogged! Cleaned the tube and replaced the sensor with a new one. My AE still says theres a fault with the sensor...SOB!

Also installed the Boost Annihilator but now for some odd reason my boost dosnt climb at all fast as it used to, cruising at 70 it would hold a steady 9-12PSI but now it holds at 5-6PSI I've checked all the boots and lines im thinking the relief valve isnt right so I'll have to check on that later. As I reported only 19MPG to Richmond IN and back but last year ran a good 24MPG. Got fuel at the same places but maybe alot has changed in fuel within a year.

After that I thought it was time to check the fuel filter, last summer before I got shipped off I ran a good 100 gals of B100 but never changed the filter. Thought i'de check it before the 700mile run to IN and back and found the filter was blacker then the paint on my truck. So changed that out with a new one and cleaned the filter bowl while I was in there.

Since shes got 86xxx on her I thought it was time to torque the rockerarms so I took off the valve covers to find that only 3 (both sides) were hardly loose. Retorqued the injector hold downs while I was in there(all were good). I noticed on the drivers side the #8 rocker arm was hitting the valve cover ever so slightly it took the paint off and showed a little metal, so I took a punch and bowed that corner of the valve cover out so it wouldnt hit it anymore. Also noticed that the #8 injector was different from all the other 7.....WTF??? Its got LL on the bottom under the serial numbers and is AE not AD like the rest of em and the plug connector is blue. Whats up with that?!

First thing I looked for when i took the cover off was the UVC connector and it wasnt seated all the way and wouldnt stay, so I went ahead and changed both sides UVC's and UVC harnesses. She pures like a kitten now!!!

After screwing around with the engine pretty much all day I watched in slow motion as the postal service delivered a box, with that special red tape on it...you DP-Tuner guys know what I mean!! Opened her up to find my filter cover, IH Black CPS(to replaced the recalled ford one that was put in) and that sexy little circuit board.

I have to thank pullinair for this one(thanks again man you rock! ), bought his off of him then sent to Diane and Jody to add some tunes and to "un-decaff" the 60 and 80e that Tim had on there, which by my suprise showed up friday...when I sent it in on tuesday......idk if thats fast or just crazy. FTE needs a special little smiley guy for the DP permagrin

I messed with the tunes (stock, drive-thru, high-idle, 20, 60, 80, 140, lope) before I mounted the controller....and got it stuck on 0, so I thought hmmp...that dosnt look right so I shut her down then started back up and holy gutless wonder! Tried and tried to get it off of 0 but couldnt for the life of me, so I emailed Tim and Diane and they both said I had to hold the - button down then it would return to normal....I could sworn I did that a milllion times but it never worked!

So now my kitty pures, eats a little better and runs a hell of a lot stronger. Thanks to this site, Pullinair, Diane and Jody, and DinoFuelAlternatives!

Stay tuned for more, got to put in my A/C assist kit, and thanks to DieselCamper01 sending me his spare IDM I'll be putting that in 2morrow as I just got done adding the resistor to this one. I'll have my trucks IDM as a spare for anyone who feels like they want to tackle the task but I will have to hit up radioshack for more resistors, since I love tinckering with stuff I can go ahead and solder the resistor in this one too for who ever wants the IDM. Just shoot me a PM for the IDM.

Thanks for reading

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
Man it looks like you were busy. I don't know about that injector. Doesn't really seem right to me though.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome post dude...another member of the perma-grin club!!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:00 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is the typical LL (long lead) injector in the #8 hole. They were put in to try to lessen cackle. Your's most likely came from the factory that way. They did replace some on a TSB if people complained about the noise. I have an early 99 and the 8 hole does not have an LL, its the same as the other 7.

I sure can't understand why you had a rocker arm hitting the valve cover. That's just not right. Never heard that one before.

You got a lot done and took some good pics.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
the LL stands for Long lead. since the #8 fires immediatley after the #6 FOMOCO added a LL injector which (in theory) will not suffer from fuel starvation issues, since the 6 and 8 are right next to each other.

Everything else looks great man, keep up the good work.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

They put a different inj. in the #8 hole due to the #8 being at the end of the fuel rail and was starving for fuel or something like that.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
the LL stands for Long lead. since the #8 fires immediatley after the #6 FOMOCO added a LL injector which (in theory) will not suffer from fuel starvation issues, since the 6 and 8 are right next to each other.

Everything else looks great man, keep up the good work.

Yeah....what he said!!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Actually im throwing out my initial "thunk" on the rocker arm hitting the valve cover due to the fact that the "rubbing" mark that was on it is ABOVE the bolt that holds the cover on....putting it in the middle of the valve cover. Hmph....I has no idea as to what would cause that little rubbing mark....and to think I hit that damn thing with a hammer for no reason!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:29 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great pics & work man.....

Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Good Job and thanks for a great write-up.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
STROKIN'IT7.3
Posting Guru
Good work bud.. I wanna order the CCK so bad, maybe i'll make that my next project

Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
whitetr
Mountain Pass
Thanks for sharing your work with us, and great write up with pictures.
I am getting ready to do the IDM mod myself, just not to thrilled about possibly messing up my IDM. Will get there sometime soon. Let us know how everything works in a few days.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
did you clean any under the valve covers? they look clean compared to mine ha ha also the connecters on the injectors look to have some kinda white stuff (electrical grease maybe)

Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow you were one busy guy!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Nope...those covers in the pictures are straight off the heads none touched. I did wipe em out right before install cuz I somehow knocked some dirt in there. I did put some electrical grease on all the connections i replaced today but not sure in which picture ur refering to...

Thanks for clearing up the Long Lead injector question I had....for a minute there I thought I had a mutant engine that had been acting normal all its life.

Just gota figure out this annoying boost problem....on the 140 tune on my old TS chip(pre-boost anni) it would trip the SES everytime, now with the DP on 140 cant even come close to building enough boost, boost problem acuired before installation of the boost anni so that kinda rules that out, I visually instpected all the boots today and found noting wrong with them. Im thinking the low boost accounts for the drop in MPG but there are no leaks that i can detect....maybe a boost leak detector is in my future???

Its prolly so simple...ill have to hit it with a hammer for no reason.