1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to say, given recent weather events, stay the hell away from the Gulf Coast.
Add to your list above the Elements: Wind, Water & Fire, they win.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM
2many56s
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have relatives in delaware, there's no sales tax, the property taxes on a new 2800 sq ft house(3-400,000$$) less than $1500! Maryland is close enough. Climate is very nice during the summer and mild winters. I have no idea on cruising, lots of old fords waiting to be restored when I visited last. I'm not saying your looking for another project either. Relatives moved from annapolis maryland to delware when they semi-retired for property costs and seem to really enjoy it. Just another idea.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
fordfreak66
Freshman User
maybe u should check into north alabama. Nice people, low cost of living, 8% sales tax most places. Car shows everywhere, mild winters, pretty colors in the fall, and if u move to northeast alabama u will be in the foothills of the mountains..real pretty.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Here is a list of several of the Texas car shows Car Show News - Texas Car Show Schedule

Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Me and Mrs. Jag will be retiring in a few years. And we are looking to leave California in the rear view mirror. I have had a few members tell me a little about where they live and how they like it. Joe told me about NE Oklahoma and it sounds very promising. Flagstaff AZ also sounds nice, but I'm not sure about property costs. We are looking for a place where the cost-of-living is less than CA but the weather is still moderate. Snow is acceptable as long as it's just occassional. My dream is to have 1-2 acres with a house (1500 sf ranch style) and a six Ford garage. The things we are trying to get away from are:

Crowded roads and neighborhoods
SMOG
High cost-of-living
High property taxes
High sales taxes (Soon to be 8.75%)
Please tell me about your idea of good local to retire that is still reasonably close to some local car shows. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Jag
N.E. New Mexico, fathers cousins had their little Horse Ranch out there, It's Gods Country in the neck of the woods.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
jake08
Elder User
Cypress California is great for my 54 and I. There is an event nearly every day of the week; should you choose to burn the gas.The weather is great, and fun can be had 360 days per year! You need to relax the other 5 days.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
N.E. New Mexico, fathers cousins had their little Horse Ranch out there, It's Gods Country in the neck of the woods.
Would that be around Raton, or further east, like Clayton? Personally I've always had a hankerin' to move to Wagon Mound or Watrous

Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 AM
AK Fifty-Three
Senior User
What is this strange word that some of you use -- "retire"?

I would not recommend Alaska as the best place to live with your Effie, unless 5 months/year is all the time you want to spend driving it. On the other hand, there are lots of other great reasons to live up here (no state income tax, PFD's, the scenery and lifestyle, etc...!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AK Fifty-Three
What is this strange word that some of you use -- "retire"?

I would not recommend Alaska as the best place to live with your Effie, unless 5 months/year is all the time you want to spend driving it. On the other hand, there are lots of other great reasons to live up here (no state income tax, PFD's, the scenery and lifestyle, etc...!
That's why I didn't recommend New Hampshire, even though it's beautiful here in the White Mountains and the Great North Woods you are lucky if you can drive your truck 6 months of the year due to the salted roads. We have no income tax and no sales tax but property taxes are higher than some states. We get about 6-8 feet of snow in the winter but if you like cool summers the temperature here in northern New Hampshire rarely goes above the 80s and it's not humid...

Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vern, I really like the sound of NO property tax and NO Sales tax. Maybe we could become "snow birds" as they say here in CA. We could live in NH in the summer and "vacation in oanother state during the winter. ....... Thanks, Jag

Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Vern, I really like the sound of NO property tax and NO Sales tax. Maybe we could become "snow birds" as they say here in CA. We could live in NH in the summer and "vacation in oanother state during the winter. ....... Thanks, Jag
That was no INCOME tax and no SALES tax. We DO have property taxes and they are higher than some states just because we have no income or sales tax. There are quite a few snowbirds here. I came here from Florida originally (lived in north Florida for 56 years) because I like snow and having four distinct seasons instead of hot and hotter. The leaf season here in the fall is unbelieveable...come on over!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
OOps Vern, I got so excited that I misread your NO tax portions. But, no State income tax and no sales tax is still great. How much do they charge for the property tax? Is it a percentage of the property's appraised value? Market value? Purchase price? CA is 1% of the purchase price plus a slug of small fees for various special items like parks, schools, fire Districts, etc. Jag

Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Michigan Rick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red.....try this one on for size..

www.findyourspot.com

once you find a place that matches you and your other values in life the car stuff will be right around the corner.

Woodward Dream Cruise
NSRA Nats North
Frankenmuth
Back to the Bricks Flint
Billetproof
Gilmore Car Museum shows

all these and more are in Michigan.......I'd rather drive 5 hours to see 50 Ford Trucks in Wisconsin....must be the company

Michigan Rick

Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
OOps Vern, I got so excited that I misread your NO tax portions. But, no State income tax and no sales tax is still great. How much do they charge for the property tax? Is it a percentage of the property's appraised value? Market value? Purchase price? CA is 1% of the purchase price plus a slug of small fees for various special items like parks, schools, fire Districts, etc. Jag
It's based on an appraised value that varies from town to town. The annual taxes on my house appraised at $155,000 is around $3500. Oh, and license plates for antique (20 years old or older) vehicles are only $7.50 a year but you get creamed for new vehicle plates because the cost is based on the value of the vehicle. It gradually goes down each year but new vehicle plates can run as much as $400 or so annually...ouch! I was used to paying $30-$50 a year for plates in Florida so that was a shock...

Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
This topic has crossed my path several times. Living in CA, it's going to be difficult to relocate because CA has great weather year round, great shows, skiing, surfing, sites, you name it, we are blessed with everything. Speaking for myself, I'm spoiled living in CA all my life. I know I can't relocate to a place with snow, constant rain, or a place where my truck would have to be put up for the winter. That would drive me nuts!!!! It does cost more to live in CA, but our salaries are much higher than that of other States. I still have a good 13 years before retirement and plan to stay in CA until that time (God willing!). Retirement? Well, I can tell you what most of my friends who retired have done. Several are moving to Tennessee? Don't know why? Larger acreage, nice climate, great car shows. Cost less to live there. I have a few who went to Arizona. to avoid smog regulations or open a business there because of lower Worker's Comp costs. Unless, its Prescott, AZ, they are complaining about the heat! or they go to live Oregon in the summer and return to AZ in the winter. NO Thanks!. Oregon is nice depending on where you are!(so I hear?) A majority of my friends have left for Idaho and/or plan on relocating to Idaho. They love it! My best friend just retired early and moved to Nampa, Idaho. He sold his home here for $650K. Bought a 4000 sq ft home, 5 bedroom, are you sitting down? 10 car garages, within walking distance of a lake (fishing) for $325K. He then bought another smaller house in the same area for $225K which he is renting for income. It's hard to find a place to retire by listening to everyone's opinions because everyone has different interests, etc. I would take a mobile home, take some time off of work and hit the highways. Visit the places you think you like and see what it offers.

Quick Reply: Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?