Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Me and Mrs. Jag will be retiring in a few years. And we are looking to leave California in the rear view mirror. I have had a few members tell me a little about where they live and how they like it. Joe told me about NE Oklahoma and it sounds very promising. Flagstaff AZ also sounds nice, but I'm not sure about property costs. We are looking for a place where the cost-of-living is less than CA but the weather is still moderate. Snow is acceptable as long as it's just occassional. My dream is to have 1-2 acres with a house (1500 sf ranch style) and a six Ford garage. The things we are trying to get away from are:

Crowded roads and neighborhoods
SMOG
High cost-of-living
High property taxes
High sales taxes (Soon to be 8.75%)
Please tell me about your idea of good local to retire that is still reasonably close to some local car shows. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Jag

Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
ashlandcat
Freshman User
ashlandcat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up best place to retire

jag,

i've lived in louisville kentucky for about 4 years now....transfered from north carolina...
like you, i've got about 2 to go to retire....me and my 51 effie will stay right here in ky...have the great national rod show every year with about 14,000 cars...and many ohers throughout the year......
i live about 15 miles south east of louisville and the third weekend of the month they have a car show that is about 1 mile from my house with usually 300 to 500 cars in attendance....
weather is pretty mild..some snow, not bad,...some beautiful countryside..,
taxes just as cheap as when i lived in north car, or georgia...housing also
reaonable...coming from calif, you would probably think its cheap...
on the ohio river, close to gambling, horse racing, great basketball...
all said, i would rate louisville as very good place to live and/or retire...
tks,ashlandcat

Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Erie, Pa
It's Gonna Snow Soon
It's Snowing
It Just Quit Snowing
Fix The Pot Holes

Yep, All Four Seasons

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Grants Pass, or Klamath Falls in Oregon is pretty nice. I lived in St. Louis and it was OK most of the time but the weather did change very quickly and dramatically on short notice. The Gulf Coast is pretty humid and has thunderstorms, but property ought to be pretty cheep down there in the fall. Kentucky and Tennessee are beautiful!

Good Luck!
J!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You might want to talk to Randy Jack. He was at one point (before health issues) going to retire here in Arkansas (though south of me).

We could have our own club! (laughing).

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
JimG1098
Posting Guru
JimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to behold
Jag, cean City Maryland has two big shows a year

Moved to the eastern shore, Maryland, about 8 years ago. Weather is good, not really snow, We live about 45 min from Asseteque Federal sea shore A beautiful place. Ocean City MD has two big car shows a year. Property taxes are certainly cheaper then in NY. Del is also good for retirees

JimG 1098

Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
52 F3
Elder User
52 F3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say southerm Mo. or northern Arkansas would be worth taking a close look at. Some very beautiful country, very reasonable real estate and mild winters but a very definite change of seasons. Also lots of old iron still around.

Richard

Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
Jim G--I love OCEAN CITY and have had many good times there!!
I have a winter home north of Tampa and you cannot beat the winters there and the cost of living. I lived in Monterrey county Ca. before and it is expensive. My Aunt lived in Fresno and other places in Ca.,and retired to Florida and her friends did too. You can buy one heck of a home in Florida for what yours is worth in Sacremento.....Check it out. Nothing against Oregon,it is nice too---but ERIE Pa.????? It is cold and colder-haha!!! Give a look see in Ocala Florida area. Bill

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54 View Post
The things we are trying to get away from are:

Crowded roads and neighborhoods none of that here
SMOG no such thing
High cost-of-living with gas at 3.57 per gallon, not bad, but it's a few miles to anywhere
High property taxes I pay about $150 for 33 acres
High sales taxes (Soon to be 8.75%) don't know
Please tell me about your idea of good local to retire that is still reasonably close to some local car shows. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Jag
not much for car shows, but back to the fifties is a big one about 4 hours away. Only problem is snow and cold. You can get used to it, but it means being indoors, lol.

EDIT: Most folks up here stay for the summer, and head down to New Mexico/Arizona for the winter.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
No reason not to live year round in NM. You'll never see salt again, yet there are 4 seasons (varies widely from northern NM to southern, and with elevation). 2 million people spread out over the 5th largest state, plenty of room! Avg 316 days a year of sun, but usually 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Housing is real reasonable around Albuquerque, but if you want country acreage you won't be around Albuquerque, so it will be even cheaper. Generally about $6k-12k/acre for land 20 miles from Albuq. with proven water and power.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 AM
BACAGrizz
Posting Guru
BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.
Central Oklahoma has good weather. Cost of housing is cheap. Gas is not too bad, lower than the national average. Maybe one or two days of snow. Ice storms occasionally. Warm enough to ride my harley all year long. Had it 2 years and put 40k miles on it so far. Never seen temps in the teens or colder for the 9 years I have been here. Coldest I have seen here was mid to low 20's and that was at night. Coming from Alaska to here, that is downright balmy.

We had the street rod nationals here in OKC a few times. Good place to be with a hot rod. Classic (formerly obsolete ford) auto parts is located here. Lots of speed shops around. Great BBQ and catfish too.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 AM
mechmagcn
Diesel Junky
mechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54 View Post
Me and Mrs. Jag will be retiring in a few years. And we are looking to leave California in the rear view mirror. I have had a few members tell me a little about where they live and how they like it. Joe told me about NE Oklahoma and it sounds very promising. Flagstaff AZ also sounds nice, but I'm not sure about property costs. We are looking for a place where the cost-of-living is less than CA but the weather is still moderate. Snow is acceptable as long as it's just occassional. My dream is to have 1-2 acres with a house (1500 sf ranch style) and a six Ford garage. The things we are trying to get away from are:

Crowded roads and neighborhoods (if you get outside of town, non-existant)
SMOG (Never)
High cost-of-living (Very reasonable)
High property taxes(Very low)
High sales taxes (Soon to be 8.75%) (Well we have passed that, 9.25% so far)
Come on down to south Arkansas, it's a really laid back way of life.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
N.E Ohio! Sure it snows, and its cold, but why would you want to go somewhere where you dont see season changes?

For me, parking the truck for the winter is like when I was younger and being away from my girl friend (my wife now) it makes the heart grow fonder!

Spring is great , you forget just how nice the truck was when you parked it and then you have summer to enjoy.

The biggy for me is there arrent any rattler snakes in my junk!

There are cruises everynight somewhere fairly local and the country is just a stones throw away

Cost of living is great, but taxes are on the pricy side, kit depends exactly where and what you want on the taxes, every town is different

The only rule to NE ohio is you MUST have a Y-BLOCK otherwise keep looking else where LOL

Kevin Bigwin

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Jag Red 54
Postmaster
Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
These are sounding like very likely choices, except I'm not sure Penn Dick is really trying to help. Dick, is that some sort of cry for help?

I'm making my list and then starting the research on the internet. I think this is the start of a huge road trip, or three.

Nice input everyone, any other nominations? Jag

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
56efffie
Elder User
56efffie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Come on up to Oregon! Property is cheaper than California and no sales tax! Of course you are still within driving distance to the west coast shows. We also have two big cruises here in Southern Oregon every year. Nice country here and perfect for the person retiring because there are not tons of jobs wich also keeps a lot of the younger californians out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's the Best Place to Live with your Effie?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.