1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A Quick Vaccume Question ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Quick Vaccume Question ???

I've already searched for a diagram but did not find any on the site
'54 vaccume wiper motor...vaccume lead from intake to wiper motor...two ports on motor (one on the side and one on the bottom). Which is correct port for intake line to attach? What is other used for?
Currently have intake hooked to side with the bottom one caped but not getting good action from wipers. I havnt removed the motor to clean and reseal...wanted to see if anyone had a diagram of the wiper motor for its ports.
thanks, Ed

Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
You may want to remove the cap from the other port and run it to the air cleaner somewhere so that only clean air is pulled into that port. That vacuum motor runs by atmospheric pressure pushing the flap piston from side to side. The vacuum line from the manifold pulls the air out of the leading side of the flap. Atmospheric pressure pushes from the other side and comes in the other port.

Also a one way valve like that found on a brake booster hooked into a large tank and then the wiper hooked to that will keep your wipers working better for longer during low engine RPM runs such as idle or a full throttle hill climb.

Cyrus

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a trip!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
e william
Elder User
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've been thinking of a reserve tank. I also went ahead and removed the motor and took the top and side compartments apart.
Took a vaccume gauge and closed off the top ports to the main body and it seemed to hold vaccume well...no leaks with the main body gasket. Cleaned the top rubber slide and lubed the top, also resealed the paper side gasket at the bottom (atmospheric) port. All works very well without the linkage hooked up and the wipers dragging across the windshield...added some window cleaner to the windshield for testing and it worked alot better.
I aquired a '56 electric motor from someone on this site but hav'nt taken the time to figure if the 56 bracket is gonna fit well enough to my '54 dash.
Ed

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you need parts or info on vacuum wipers, look up ---david ficken--

Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
e william,
What type mirrors do you have on your truck, they look pretty good.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
On my 54 merc car 256 cu in y block. The vacuum wipers were run off of the fuel pump (the glass bowl version and it was quit large) Not sure how good it worked by the time I got the car some body had converted it to electric wipers.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 AM
e william
Elder User
Hey Jaye, Those mirrors were on the truck when I bought it, just cleaned them up a bit. Dont know who made them. The p.o. did give me an old Bob Drake catalog.....might be from there?
Ed