Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible injector issue

Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
ggirten
Senior User
ggirten is starting off with a positive reputation.
Possible injector issue

I have an early 99. It quit a couple of months ago and was about 2 quarts low of oil. I added the oil and it ran fan for another month. Then it did it again also low on oil, but this time it wouldn't start. If it sets for a few hours, it will start but run rough. It will then shut down and not start. It's like you turn the key off.

When it was running, I had it tested. It passed the buzz test, but showed low contribution for #3 injector & #8 injector. #8 I understand due to the timing of #6 & #8. I pulled #3 and was going to replace it with a new injector given to me, but it was an AD and mine are AB. It was suggested to check the harness before replacing the injector. I verified no broken wires and applied the quarter to the clip. It is still doing the same thing. Is it same to assume the injector is bad or could it be something else?

I am going to have it test again while it is not running. My daughters boyfriend is a mechanic and he has the testor.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
I'm not sure an injector will cause the truck to shut down like the key was turned off. A bad injector will cause it to run rough. You can have him do a buzz test and look at rotational velocity % with the engine warmed up, but I don't think this sounds like an injector issue.

How long does it take you to loose the oil (miles), and where does it go? 2 quarts low on oil shouldn't be enough to make the engine shut down. Have him pull the codes to see what else shows up.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Have you done the recall on the CPS? Might not be this, but it could be. Bring it to the dealer and they will change it for free. Simple thing to get out of the way.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
ggirten
Senior User
No codes show up. I did have the CPS replaced during the recall. When cranking, the tack is working, so the CPS should be OK.

It took about 3 weeks to loose the oil, but I have no visible loss. I've heard leaking injector orings can loose oil, but I don't know what is causing it to die. I have also replace the fuel filter during this time to see if it was stopped up.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
If the engine dies like the key was turned off, it's usually a sensor or electrical type issue. Sounds like you have more than one issue going on here. Have you checked to make sure your chip isn't loose?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
ggirten
Senior User
Yes, I removed it for a while. I may go ahead and pull it out for now. I had the PCM replaced about a year ago and I am not real confident in it.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
Ask which sensor/testor he is using. If he can, check your injector control pressure (ICP) with key on engine off, and while running. Maybe it is an ICP issue.

Also, do you have a way to monitor fuel pressure?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
ggirten
Senior User
I don't have a pressure gauge, but I have thought about making a testing gauge.

I had a sensor loose. I found the nut and put it back together. It was at the bottom of the fuel/HPOP area. I have been looking at a diagram and I think it was the Injector Pressure Regulator. After looking at the picture, I think mine may have been broken. Is this a dealer item? Does anyone know how much they run>

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
You might have just found your problem. The IPR runs about $170 at the dealer IIRC.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
ggirten
Senior User
Ford sensor was around $350. Local Motorcraft distributor wanted $292. Found one on Ebay for $99. Fixed all problems. Trucks strarts good, idles good and runs good.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
harleydude03
Junior User
harleydude03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds like it could be an injector o-ring issue. if you dont mind pulling the injectors check all the top o-rings. if 2-3 are busted it wont crank no matter what you do. and it dont show on no tester.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ggirten View Post
Ford sensor was around $350. Local Motorcraft distributor wanted $292. Found one on Ebay for $99. Fixed all problems. Trucks strarts good, idles good and runs good.
Problem solved, good news.

Originally Posted by harleydude03 View Post
sounds like it could be an injector o-ring issue. if you dont mind pulling the injectors check all the top o-rings. if 2-3 are busted it wont crank no matter what you do. and it dont show on no tester.
You must have posted in the wrong thread. Leaking injectors will make a consistant problem, not a here and there problem like ggirten had.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 AM
BENG0924
Senior User
BENG0924 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So were u loosing oil through the IPR I assume just curious

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
ggirten
Senior User
Not sure about the oil loss. It was fuel this last time. While I had the injector out I went ahead and installed new ORings. It may have been a couple of different issues happening. I drove the truck all day yesterday and it runs great, no smoke and easy start. I even had a little romp that is gone.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
harleydude03
Junior User
harleydude03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry just tring to help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible injector issue

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.