Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp?????

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trans temp?????

I have a PSD, just put my gauges in, My trans temp is around 165 at normal cruising, 75mph. Is this normal, what should I expect?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Sounds normal to me.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant future
Very normal numbers......definitely in the safe range. What size tires are you running? Bigger ones tend to work the tranny a bit harder, and raise the temps a lil

Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yup, its normal. As your power is increased, w/ Dp Tunes or any other chip/programmer, your temps will go up also.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Rule of thumb for tranny temps. 60 - 100 degrees over ambient temps.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Before I installed the Tru-cool cooler, I was 170 at 70 mph empty. I installed the cooler and I was never above 155 pulling my 32' TT at 65-70 mph. Flat land of course.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
you should ussually see tranny temps about 70 degrees above outside ar temps, with the truck unloaded & not towing. Towing is a different story.......

Around town driving the temps can show a bit higher since the TC is unlocked under 35 mph and generates alot of heat.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Your numbers are the same as mine and from what everybody is saying, were cool,lol.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
You COULD really benefit from a larger cooler, though. With my 6.0 cooler in 80-90* heat i run about 30-40* cooler. Every 10* cooler the transmission average's temperature is, theres a certain amount of miles its expected to last longer.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3 View Post
You COULD really benefit from a larger cooler, though. With my 6.0 cooler in 80-90* heat i run about 30-40* cooler. Every 10* cooler the transmission average's temperature is, theres a certain amount of miles its expected to last longer.
Good point Kris.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Normally cruising 75mph for me my temps are 125*. I get to 165* sitting in stop and go traffic unloaded, lol. Not too shabby, running 37's also.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Benny2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Benny2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is low john, what gauges are you using?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Autometer Sport Comp2.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tire size

Originally Posted by UP_There View Post
Very normal numbers......definitely in the safe range. What size tires are you running? Bigger ones tend to work the tranny a bit harder, and raise the temps a lil
I am running 265/75/16 BFG's All Terrains. I did not have any gauges untill the same day I put the DP Tuner on so I had no referance as to what was normal temps on my truck.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone for the response to my questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.